Moparts

Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain?

Posted By: f2502011

Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/01/15 10:32 AM

Is there a way to replicate/restore a brass finish such as on a fender pentastar? I know they are available new, but I would like to see if I can restore one, duplicate the original finish with some type of paint or stain and need some tips from anyone who can offer up some advice.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/01/15 03:09 PM

Gonna cost you more than a reproduction and what do you have ... its not a "restored" piece if its painted instead of plated !

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/02/15 05:13 AM

What about when a carburetor restoration is done and they make it look gold? That's the effect I'm after. I need to know how to do that.
Posted By: PLUM_72

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/04/15 09:29 PM

How about overlaying with gold foil pin striping or a label?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/04/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By f2502011
What about when a carburetor restoration is done and they make it look gold? That's the effect I'm after. I need to know how to do that.

Zinc dichromate,do a search and you will see what is involved.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/04/15 10:03 PM

Zinc dichromate,do a search and you will see what is involved.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/05/15 12:16 AM

Is there a way to replicate/restore a brass finish such as on a fender pentastar? I know they are available new, but I would like to see if I can restore one, duplicate the original finish with some type of paint or stain and need some tips from anyone who can offer up some advice.

As a direct answer to your question here's the carb paint you're asking about... Eastwood carb renew This stuff will change to a darker color as layers are added...Not correct by any means but this is what I've seen used on various "restored" carbs..Even featured vehicles in some mopar rags.. twocents

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/05/15 12:23 AM

I think I'm going to try this

http://www.eastwood.com/new-golden-cad-system-w-diamond-clear.html
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/05/15 01:45 AM

That system gives good results..You can choose to use or omit any tint to give you the desired colors you're looking for...

I have the old golden cad set also.. the old tints were very transluscent and could be sprayed over even polished metal for some great effects...
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/05/15 04:49 AM

I think you have to be a complete idiot to spend the time, effort and money trying to restore something that is so insignificant AND has readily available perfect reproductions available at a fraction of the cost.

Just my opinion though !!!

Re: Any Way to Replicate Brass Finishes with Paint or Stain? - 09/05/15 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By Stanton
I think you have to be a complete idiot to spend the time, effort and money trying to restore something that is so insignificant AND has readily available perfect reproductions available at a fraction of the cost.

Just my opinion though !!!

Opinions are like........
© 2024 Moparts Forums