Moparts

Exhuast System Resto

Posted By: floorit426

Exhuast System Resto - 08/01/15 07:16 PM

Hi,

I'm getting ready to put my stock exhaust system back on my car. I just brought my stock h pipe down from the rafters and it is pristine, except for some surface rust. Should I take it in and get it media blasted? If so, what is the best way to keep it from rusting again? Also, all I have is the h pipe. Who is the best source for stock mufflers, resonators, and the over the axle pipe?

Thanks
Posted By: charge70

Re: Exhuast System Resto - 08/01/15 07:57 PM

Find a coating company that will coat the pipe inside and out.It will look like new for a long time.I've had it done to 2 of my cars and they still look great.As far as the other stuff your looking for,try Gardner exhaust in New York.A friend of mine just installed a system from them on his 70 cuda and it fit like oem. John.
Posted By: 72ls5fla

Re: Exhuast System Resto - 08/02/15 12:00 AM

i have a Gardner system on my 70 440 Sixpack.
been on the car for three years.

Eric puts a lot of work into fit etc....
I am 1000% satisfied - fit perfectly - had ZERO issues with assembly.
Could not be happier.

now I do have to say that there is another system out there that is extremely better in the originality department. With regard to very fine details, dates, bends, flats, etc....
Dave from ECS.
His system is a bit more expensive but if you want something that is spot on everywhere, his is the one.

Bill
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Exhuast System Resto - 08/04/15 06:38 AM

I agree. We have put ECS' system on our 69 GTX vert and our 70 Chally vert. The fit was the best that I have ever installed. The details are exactly the same as what the factory was. I actually compared the system we removed that was on my Mom's Challenger vert and there was a night and day contradiction between what the OE factory pieces were and what this in-Accurate system was. Yes, it fit, but the bends were way off and we had a clearance issue with the torsion bar on the driver side. The ECS system had plenty of clearance on it and fit perfectly.

If you are looking to try to clean up your old h pipe, I would try soaking some rags or something in Evapo-rust and laying them on the pipe and then going over the pipe with some kind of metal polish to keep it from rusting again. Or have it recoated in some kind of plating.
Posted By: floorit426

Re: Exhuast System Resto - 08/05/15 05:02 AM

Once the rust is removed, do you think a product like RPM would work? I have never used it before, but have heard good things about it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Exhuast System Resto - 08/05/15 07:26 AM

I've used it with great results. I have not tried it on exhaust parts though.
Posted By: 340 T5 Ragtop

Re: Exhuast System Resto - 08/07/15 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By floorit426

Hi,

I'm getting ready to put my stock exhaust system back on my car. I just brought my stock h pipe down from the rafters and it is pristine, except for some surface rust. Should I take it in and get it media blasted? If so, what is the best way to keep it from rusting again? Also, all I have is the h pipe. Who is the best source for stock mufflers, resonators, and the over the axle pipe?

Thanks

Have you checked out the ECS website ( www.ecsautomotive.com ) for the pictures of the resonators and mufflers. They are exactly the same size as the originals and even have the Pentastar. They'll fit perfectly with your original H Pipe.

Tom
Posted By: 70440SIXPK

Re: Exhuast System Resto - 08/10/15 07:55 PM

Just installed a ECS setup on my 6 pack challenger ... Everything fit great. Ran into absolutely NO issues. I was originally going to purchase gardners, the only reason why I didn't was because of the date codes on the mufflers and resonators. If your looking for originality ECS, if you plan on driving the car, and don't care about date coded exhaust gardners 100%. You'll end up saving a lot on it as well. One thing I didn't like about the ECS exhaust is the idea that they don't supply any hardware (clamps, hangers,etc). Not a real big issue, but it would have been a bit more convenient to order the entire exhaust setup from ECS.
© 2024 Moparts Forums