Moparts

paint prep under vinyl top....

Posted By: Moparnut426

paint prep under vinyl top.... - 07/07/15 03:04 AM

I was just planning on a good coat or two of sealer after final wet sanding of the Cuda. Only paint the car where need bee to save materials.

Do I need to have it painted? or is the sealer a good enough material to cover with my top.
Posted By: Neil

Re: paint prep under vinyl top.... - 07/07/15 04:06 AM

I'm no painter, but I did have a discussion with a PPG paint rep and was told that epoxy primers and such are water resistant, but not 100% water proof over time and if in doubt paint it. If it were mine I would paint the car and then if you have a little paint left in the gun add enough reducer so you have enough to fog some paint on the roof. Anything is better than nothing.

Vinyl top cars have issues when they are left outside and get wet frequently. I have owned two vinyl top mopars from high desert areas and neither has any rust at all so it's all about exposure. Keep it inside and dry and you should never have any issues.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: paint prep under vinyl top.... - 07/07/15 04:14 AM

I like to put some base coat on the roof, just get some coverage, then clear it like normal with the rest of the car.
Posted By: Iowan

Re: paint prep under vinyl top.... - 07/07/15 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By Silver70
I like to put some base coat on the roof, just get some coverage, then clear it like normal with the rest of the car.

The minimum.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: paint prep under vinyl top.... - 07/07/15 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By Silver70

I did mine in s/s but yea, give it one coat of color then forget about it while you paint the car.

Verts and Vinyls are the EASIEST cars to paint!

Re: paint prep under vinyl top.... - 07/07/15 02:33 PM

thanks guys
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: paint prep under vinyl top.... - 07/07/15 08:35 PM

Put sealer on it,1 coat of base then 2 clear and then you have enough to sand it for the glue and not to thin were you have moisture issues or anything g like that. Way I did dad's cuda and that 68 charger and the 70 swinger I did 10 years ago.

Corey

Re: paint prep under vinyl top.... - 07/08/15 06:06 PM

thanks Corey
© 2024 Moparts Forums