Moparts

VIN ? Engine code delete?

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 07:21 PM

Ever see or hear of a VIN that's missing the 5th digit for the engine code?
I've never heard of this before, but am looking at a car that clearly has the 5th digit missing...the other 12 digits seem correct.
Have not seen the FT yet.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 09:17 PM

Yes, it happened as well as other mistakes. It just makes the cars other documentation that much more important.

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 09:26 PM

Thanks Scott. The FT shows the same thing. The guy said it was a hemi car, then later said he doesn't know what motor it came with.
Has a wedge K frame, but it does supposedly have the torque boxes.
Don't think there is a build sheet.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 09:31 PM

What is the E code in the bottom left corner of the fender tag?

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 09:31 PM

Let me clearify. MISTAKES happened, but I've never heard of an intentional deletion of the engine code. Finding a mistake on the VIN tag AND the fender tag would raise a big red flag concerning one or both of them being fakes....02

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 09:32 PM

What Barry said, and how about a pic of both?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 09:40 PM

Door sticker would be cool to see also.

The 'chicken head' advertising 1970 RR was missing the V on the fender tag but the E87 is there.

It seems like one of the 440-6 Sport Fury GTs was missing the V on the dash as well.
Posted By: xx29

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 10:12 PM

I've seen a 1971 Charger R/T 440 4spd car that had a VIN tag missing engine code, WS231A
This was in the late 80's in Los Angeles area, sorry I didn't take any pictures...was factory FJ6 car with Ramcharger hood and 70 style GO-wing

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 10:19 PM

I'm waiting to see if I can get a pic of the FT and if he has the BS. I have not seen the car in person yet.
It just so happens that this is also a '71 Charger. Supposed to be an R/T, plum crazy, 727 auto w/ console, 8.75 rear.
VIN is WS231A

Attached File
vin.jpg  (383 downloads)
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 10:37 PM

My friends 4 bbl,4 spd Superbird that he sold 5 yrs ago was missing the engine code on the vin tag.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 06/30/15 10:55 PM

About 20 years ago in upstate NY, I looked at a 70 Road Runner for sale and it was missing its U in the vin.
Cant say for sure but I think the U was on the door jam and on the fender tag.
I kept going back to the VIN but the 12 numbers sort of turned me off about the car.
Of course I never carried a camera back then but the car looked untouched.
I likely have the number written down somewhere.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 07/01/15 01:50 AM

I know of a V-Code Charger with the V missing. scope
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 07/01/15 05:36 AM

There was a 70 Road runner in mass about 25 years ago with the engine code missing on the VIN tag , the owner CLAIMED it was a 6 pk car.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 07/01/15 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By mccannix
About 20 years ago in upstate NY, I looked at a 70 Road Runner for sale and it was missing its U in the vin.
I kept going back to the VIN but the 12 numbers sort of turned me off about the car.

My understanding is the U (440 4bbl) was not an option for the 70RR but was available as the standard engine for the Superbird.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 07/01/15 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By thehemikid
Originally Posted By mccannix

My understanding is the U (440 4bbl) was not an option for the 70RR but was available as the standard engine for the Superbird.

That would be correct,same for the Super Bee.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 07/06/15 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By JohnRR
There was a 70 Road runner in mass about 25 years ago with the engine code missing on the VIN tag , the owner CLAIMED it was a 6 pk car.

Sure, a screwed up tag would be a 6 pack or Hemi...
Posted By: therocks

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 07/07/15 06:42 PM

How about a new on the floor Hemi Cuda that wasnt a Hemi.I almost bought itnew.It was a 440 vert.VIN window sticker etc everything said Hemi but it wasnt.Supposedly there was one more around Chicago.Still kick myself for not buying it as they offered it to me cheap.Rocky
Posted By: JohnnyBee

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 07/10/15 02:07 AM

The Fender tag reads as a 440
E86
U-Code
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: VIN ? Engine code delete? - 07/10/15 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Let me clearify. MISTAKES happened, but I've never heard of an intentional deletion of the engine code. Finding a mistake on the VIN tag AND the fender tag would raise a big red flag concerning one or both of them being fakes....02

Yep....I can see one or the other but not both...

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums