Moparts

Upper Ball Joint -- A arm Question

Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Upper Ball Joint -- A arm Question - 05/18/15 12:15 AM

I assume these are right handed threads ?
I can get them started just a bit by hand,,,but am concerned about stripping the threads on the A arm.
I have the correct socket,,,,and they look to be going in "straight" for the initial thread...

Do I just gently use the socket to screw the ball joint into the A arm ?

Dont want to mess up anything,,,, the ball joint and A arm threads are a bit odd looking compared to the usual style thread I am used to seeing,,,,

thanks for any input....
Posted By: sixpackbird

Re: Upper Ball Joint -- A arm Question - 05/18/15 01:13 AM

Yes, they are right hand threads, with the correct socket, just keep tightening them until the ball joint is fully seated. The thread pitch is a bit odd. Key point is to get the ball joint fully seated. Good Luck
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Upper Ball Joint -- A arm Question - 05/18/15 01:30 AM

Also lube the joint threads to ease installation.
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Upper Ball Joint -- A arm Question - 05/18/15 04:07 AM

Thanks guys !!!
Posted By: A990

Re: Upper Ball Joint -- A arm Question - 05/18/15 07:14 AM

Lastly the torque spec is 120 ft/lbs for 70 Challengers.
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Upper Ball Joint -- A arm Question - 05/18/15 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By 69CHARGERMD
Do I just gently use the socket to screw the ball joint into the A arm ?

Dont want to mess up anything,,,, the ball joint and A arm threads are a bit odd looking compared to the usual style thread I am used to seeing,,,,

Gentle and Mopar upper ball joints don't usually go in the same sentence from my experience.

The odd looking shallow thread is a kind of a twist in compression fit if I recall correctly. And misthreading or overtightening will more likely result in a cracked A-arm (split radiating from the ball joint hole) than stripping off those threads. Most times I've removed them I needed a three foot pipe on to the 1/2 inch rachet/breaker bar to get them loose. Even with lubricant putting them in will probably feel like a workout.

Get them lined up square, watch closely for them to start to touch seated position, torque as stated, and if they are used A-arms check in a couple days for cracks.

That's my experience, yours may vary.
Posted By: 69Boss302

Re: Upper Ball Joint -- A arm Question - 05/19/15 04:55 AM

Buy the new reproductions. They come with all new bushings, new ball joints and are powder-coated and ready to install. You can usually find them for $120 for the pair. I don't think you can buy the balljoints and bushings for that amount.
© 2024 Moparts Forums