Moparts

68 Charger metal grill frame color

Posted By: badblack68

68 Charger metal grill frame color - 05/28/08 02:06 AM

What is the correct color for the grill frame for a 1968 Charger? The color of the car is black. Someone told me gloss black, others have told me satin black, and other have told me the top plate would be gloss black and the rest of it semi-gloss black. I`m confused, what is the correct color to use?
Posted By: topside

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 05/28/08 02:40 AM

If you mean the upper panel that's visible when you open the hood, my original '68 & '69 Chargers were about a 30% flattened black - slightly shinier than a semi-gloss, but no way a shiny black like what the exterior panels would be on a black car. Not a rich shade of black either, but more like what you see on dipped parts. I wouldn't try to duplicate it with a rattle-can though, the area's too big.
Posted By: Shakey

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 05/28/08 11:36 AM

I used Eastwood's Under Hood black.

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 05/28/08 04:39 PM

Quote:

If you mean the upper panel that's visible when you open the hood, my original '68 & '69 Chargers were about a 30% flattened black - slightly shinier than a semi-gloss, but no way a shiny black like what the exterior panels would be on a black car. Not a rich shade of black either, but more like what you see on dipped parts. I wouldn't try to duplicate it with a rattle-can though, the area's too big.

Thanks, I`m definately not using a rattle can on this part. It will be painted using a spray gun once it`s been blasted clean. There`s some of the cars original light green color on some parts of this assembly.
Posted By: Shakey

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 05/29/08 10:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, I`m definately not using a rattle can on this part. It will be painted using a spray gun once it`s been blasted clean. There`s some of the cars original light green color on some parts of this assembly.

Under Hood Black is also available in quarts for your gun.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 05/31/08 02:02 PM

Quote:

What is the correct color for the grill frame for a 1968 Charger? The color of the car is black. Someone told me gloss black, others have told me satin black, and other have told me the top plate would be gloss black and the rest of it semi-gloss black. I`m confused, what is the correct color to use?

These parts were not sprayed when new,they were dipped in a tank of paint.
If you really want it correct looking,hang it by one end and spray it with over reduced paint and get it running.Correct yes-sloppy yes.Of course everyone will think you are a hack-but it would be more correct that most of the OEM Gold over-restored trailer queen's grille panels
Posted By: beepbeep

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 05/31/08 06:38 PM

This panel? If so it was gloss black.

Attached picture 4463951-68charger.JPG
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 06/03/08 04:16 AM

Killerbee70
You are absolutely correct-I have a lot of pictures of originals and they have huge runs in them!

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 06/04/08 03:11 AM

My grill support still has the factory runs on it. I`m not going to try and duplicate it. It was never originally gloss black. It looks like it was a shade between gloss black and semi-gloss black. Thanks for the help
Posted By: beepbeep

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 06/04/08 03:37 AM

Quote:

My grill support still has the factory runs on it. I`m not going to try and duplicate it. It was never originally gloss black. It looks like it was a shade between gloss black and semi-gloss black. Thanks for the help

It was gloss black, just not polished the way the body was.

Re: 68 Charger metal grill frame color - 06/04/08 05:30 PM

Well I guess after 40 years the gloss of the black has turned to a semi-gloss color. Thanks again for all the help with this issue.
© 2024 Moparts Forums