Moparts

Wheel Well undercoating product

Posted By: hemi68charger

Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/10/15 02:44 PM

Anyone know of a wheel well undercoating in an aerosal can with wide spray application? I am looking to respray the front wheel wells in my Daytona. Since the car has an older restoration and shows "driving" conditions, I'm just looking to spruce things up a little in there. The restorer of the car back in '94 scraped most of the undercoating off from the front inner wheel well and I'm looking to reapply a coat...

Thanks in advance..
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/10/15 02:52 PM

I would suggest you re think that, invest in (link) A Cheap undercoating gun, and buy some of Resto Ricks stuff. It's an easy job to do right.

Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/10/15 03:02 PM

I've had good luck with Wurth Undercoat in Aerosol, short of using a gun its the best I have found.

http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthstorefr...ting/p/88909071
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/10/15 04:26 PM

I bought the 3M stuff ( and a shultz gun ) at my local auto parts store to do my old challenger,,and is what I'll use for the 68 Charger I am doing now.

YOU control the texture with air pressure and how quick you fan it across the area being coated.
Practice makes perfect
Posted By: drgordi

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/11/15 12:34 AM

I used Ricks on my cuda and looks great. And blended very nice with the original.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/11/15 05:14 AM

Quote:

I would suggest you re think that, invest in (link) A Cheap undercoating gun, and buy some of Resto Ricks stuff. It's an easy job to do right.

I second that. easy to apply and looks OEM.

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/11/15 01:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I second that. easy to apply and looks OEM.

With this comes the need for an air compressor....... I have a 80 gal., would that be big enough? It is one thing to buy the product and the spray gun applicator, but you have to have sufficient air.
Posted By: sandbagger

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/11/15 07:09 PM

what about freshening up an area that's already undercoated?

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/11/15 07:54 PM

Quote:

what about freshening up an area that's already undercoated?

For me, I'm just trying to freshen up and existing older restoration. Full-meal deal can happen when the day comes along to repaint the car..
Posted By: 2JcodeChargers

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/11/15 08:15 PM

Troy,
I second the idea of getting a gun and spraying Body Schutz. I think it is very correct in appearance to the "hard" factory undercoat.
It is not the size of your compressor that counts, it's the CFM it puts out, but in general terms, an 80 gallon compressor probably has a big enough motor to do what you want.
Chris
Posted By: carcrazyguy

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/14/15 02:54 AM

Just remember how hard it is to remove.... I have spent about 10 hours over the last three days and have not even got the rear wheel houses done.

Somewhere there is a person walking around Hamtramck laughing his butt off knowing he spent 5 minutes to spray on what would take 5 weeks to remove someday.

Attached picture 8459220-BarracudaMarch132015002.JPG

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/14/15 02:58 AM

Quote:

Just remember how hard it is to remove.... I have spent about 10 hours over the last three days and have not even got the rear wheel houses done.

You need one of these grasshopper! 3 hours and my Duster was squeaky clean, super hot water and pressure, ZERO scraping, all undercoating GONE!

Attached picture 8459227-Hotsy(3).jpg

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/14/15 03:07 AM

After media blasting.... What is left is soft and gooey. I am using a $20 oscillating multi tool and a standard scraper with some elbow grease.

Attached picture 8459239-BarracudaFeb202015016.JPG

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/14/15 03:44 AM

Scott, guessing you did the pressure washing before you had the body stripped down to bare metal. Just curious if it would be worth paying a pressure wash company to come out and give it a shot? My car is in bare metal...and the thought of water on that...
Posted By: 5571

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/14/15 03:52 AM

I just had my convertible done, and they used walnut shells to take that off. It took them about 10 minutes to do each rear wheel housing. Then they went and hit it with glass beads. Wow, it is now so nice (and done!)

When they went inside the rear quarters, they used the walnut shells again. It blew out that sound deadener. I wanted it out, as I did not trust that there was no rust lurking beneath it.

Walnut shells are wicked. They will leave some of the paint behind when taking the coating off.

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/14/15 03:58 AM

Quote:

Scott, guessing you did the pressure washing before you had the body stripped down to bare metal.

Yes, however, you could mask off the rest of the car with plastic to keep it dry. Also, even if you don't get it wet, you'll need to prep it again (Metal etch, etc.) before priming of you'll have micro rust on your seemingly "clean" new bare metal which can lead to nasty paint problems later on..
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Wheel Well undercoating product - 03/14/15 05:36 AM

Bob, you have to fire up a new thread on how the blasting turned out on your car, I'd really like to see it......
© 2024 Moparts Forums