Moparts

Engine wiring harness differences?

Posted By: Runnin74

Engine wiring harness differences? - 01/11/15 12:11 AM

Anyone know the physical wiring differences in the engine wiring harnesses for small blocks with 50, 60, or 85 amp alternators?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Engine wiring harness differences? - 01/11/15 03:36 AM

Pretty sure they were all the same. I can't see why they would have made different harness' for a different alternator output. Why not just make one harness for the biggest output alternator since that would be the most cost efficient.

Re: Engine wiring harness differences? - 01/11/15 04:12 AM

That's my impression as well, although the harness part numbers are broken down by engine and alternator amperage. Just wondered if anyone had noticed any physical wiring differences.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Engine wiring harness differences? - 01/11/15 05:44 AM

In the mid 70s, 60 amp alternators in B body cars, especially in police and taxi packages, were wired to the ammeter through a grommet in the firewall instead of the bulkhead connector. That was the only difference. Check FSMs from 1973 and 1974 for Satellite 60 amp alternator wiring.
Craig
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Engine wiring harness differences? - 01/11/15 02:57 PM

Quote:

Anyone know the physical wiring differences in the engine wiring harnesses for small blocks with 50, 60, or 85 amp alternators?

What year are you talking about ? I don't think there was an 85 amp option in the muscle car era.

Re: Engine wiring harness differences? - 01/11/15 05:49 PM

I'm looking at 74. An 85amp L/N (Leece-Neville) or 86amp Motorola were available as well as a 65amp heavy duty w/batt isolation (presumably the grommet Craig mentioned above)in addition to the 50 and 60 amp alternators.
I have an engine harness from a 70 truck and the alternator wire is much larger than the car examples I have even though it has the same connector at the bulkhead disconect that cars use.
© 2024 Moparts Forums