Moparts

71 B body guys with AMD inner wheel houses look closely

Posted By: 71sat440

71 B body guys with AMD inner wheel houses look closely - 11/06/14 12:43 AM

I got an inner right wheel house from AMD a couple months ago and just got the right side outer (Was out of stock most places for awhile)

When I went to fit the tubs together I saw a weird line on the inner tub..........

Looked closer, it couldn't be.............

Yup, daylight, where the line is crimped a couple inches from where the 2 halves meet, it was crimped so much it started to shear the metal.

At first it was a hairline of daylight about an inch long but I started poking it with my fingernail and it turned out the metal was cut clear through for 4 or five inches but the rest had filled with primer you couldn't tell at first.

So if you have the inner right, look real close, I'll probably just weld thing thing shut but I would hate for someone to paint their car only to have the primer crack and have a split in their wheelhouse later.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: 71 B body guys with AMD inner wheel houses look closely - 11/06/14 12:49 AM

unless already welded in Id send it back...you just got a bad one...when stamped if it is lubed too much or not enough it can fracture easily.....
Posted By: 71sat440

Re: 71 B body guys with AMD inner wheel houses look closely - 11/06/14 01:27 AM

Considering I'll be welding on quarters, inner and out wheelhouses, and trunk extensions another 5 inch weld isn't gonna kill me.

Unless someone thinks theres another problem like metal might be too thin or something, its probably not worth the boxing, return shipping, back to me shipping etc.
Posted By: MarkMcDonald

Re: 71 B body guys with AMD inner wheel houses look closely - 11/06/14 04:05 PM

I used one last year without any problems. The fit was great and it was the right side also!
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: 71 B body guys with AMD inner wheel houses look closely - 11/06/14 09:36 PM

a new one wont be any thicker..it split when stamped...id send it back..unless the weld isn't seen or you grind it smooth
Posted By: booger

Re: 71 B body guys with AMD inner wheel houses look closely - 11/11/14 02:14 AM

There's a fair chance the next one you get will be the same way. It's not like the things are each hand made.
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: 71 B body guys with AMD inner wheel houses look closely - 11/11/14 02:01 PM

on A bodies their wheel houses are "iffy"

on my '74 duster the quarters fit perfectly. the floor pan fit perfectly. inner fenders perfect.

AMD wheel houses needed major massaging to fit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums