Moparts

Need a rotisserie....have questions.

Posted By: carcrazyguy

Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 12:11 AM

I need to get a rotisserie for the 73 Barracuda. I am looking at the Auto Twirrler brand. More specifically the Auto Twirler Plus. Anyone use one of those? Are there any accessories that I should consider along with the rotissirie?
Posted By: azblackhemi

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 12:26 AM

I bought an Auto twirler at the end of last year. I finally put a car on it this last week. Apparently the company was sold and has had some quality control issues. There is a large bolt that goes through the main upright with a large thick washer to hold it in place safely. On mine the holes were drilled on an angle instead of straight through so the washer wouldn't fit in the hole. I had to plasma cut out over a quarter inch of each hole to make it work. My other problem is I put a 70 Challenger convertible on it and can't get it perfectly balanced no matter where I adjust it. I was told the lower center of gravity of a vert makes it tough. The steel and welds do look like it is made very well but so far I'm really not completely satisfied although it will work for me just not as well as I hoped. We'll see how it goes with the next car on it.
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 01:27 AM

Can't speak for Auto Twirler but can tell you my Whirly Jig is outstanding. My painter hasn't stopped trying to buy it from me since I sent my car to him on it (he ownes the other brand)
http://www.whirlyjig.com/
Good luck whatever you decide
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 02:13 AM

I build rotisseries in Canada for the market up here. I've made it a point over the years to look at all of the higher end (US-made) units and my favorite by a long shot is the Whirly-Jig. A little more money maybe but better than anything else by leaps and bounds.

Here's a prime example ... this unit doesn't even have a car on it and its already sagging at the ends of the arms !!! And this is their top of the line model !!!

As for:
Quote:

My other problem is I put a 70 Challenger convertible on it and can't get it perfectly balanced no matter where I adjust it. I was told the lower center of gravity of a vert makes it tough.

This is absolutely true of convertibles. To get them to balance well you need mounts that raise the car up a bit. On ragtops the car has to be able to be raised so that the floor is almost level with the pivots!

Attached picture 8321554-IMG_0423.JPG
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 03:05 AM

I did quite a bit of research on the better known rotos before I bought mine and though most had their supporters and detractors, no one and I mean no one had a bad thing to say about the Whirly-Jig. Ultimately, thats what I bought and I've not looked back since.
As an added bonus, when you're done with it, you'll have no problem selling it, that's for sure.
Posted By: 2abodymcodes

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 04:17 AM

I've also got a whirly-jig pro. best money I've ever spent on tools or equipment.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 06:46 AM

Quote:

As an added bonus, when you're done with it, you'll have no problem selling it, that's for sure.

Thanks everyone for the info!

When I am done...right! We all know once they get torn apart, they may not go back together. Plus this is a test to see if we can really do a car from start to finish. If we can I have 2 more to do before I think about stopping.

Attached picture 8321894-BarracudaOctober2014011.JPG
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 02:30 PM

Another vote for the Whirley Jig.

Bought mine several years ago,,,,,ZERO complaints

Attached picture 8322010-WP_20141023_003.jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/05/14 04:35 PM

Quote:

I need to get a rotisserie for the 73 Barracuda. I am looking at the Auto Twirrler brand. More specifically the Auto Twirler Plus. Anyone use one of those? Are there any accessories that I should consider along with the rotissirie?

I bought a auto twirler in 2005. At the time I didn't know anything about them and decided to go up to the west side of Indy to pick it up so I could see cars mounted on one that they had in there shop. I learned everything I needed to know by visiting there shop. It was a good sized welding shop with like 10 or more employees and they were very nice to me, showed me all around there shop. Sent me a tie shirt in the mail like 6 months later.

I did not buy any mounting brackets from them, my E body was easy to mount using the front bumper mounting and the rear spring hanger hole.

I did buy off road wheels which were a waste of money as I never used them.

I have had 3 cars on mine so far and it has been plenty good enough for me. Mine went to the body shop and back in my trailer with the car mounted on it.

I turned my car 90° on mine, there's no reason to turn it upside down.

Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/06/14 05:13 AM

I made mine from a friends plans he bought from a magazine. Cost me $240 in steel and a few hours of cutting and welding. No issues with my 69 GTS on it...

Attached picture 8322870-MVC-011F.JPG

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/06/14 05:55 AM

Looks like it will be the Whirlyjig Pro Plus. Looks like that will keep me from having to order any extra accessories. I do like the body/frame stiffener but not sure that would be needed for my hardtops.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/06/14 04:18 PM

You made the right choice !

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/06/14 09:13 PM

Quote:

You made the right choice !

Called them today to order the Pro Plus and the mount stiffer kit. It should be here in 7-10 days!
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/06/14 09:47 PM

I have an auto twirler plus and have been more than happy with it.

I made my own mounting brackets.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/06/14 09:54 PM

Quote:

the mount stiffer kit.

Waste of money unless you have a ragtop. It won't add to resale unless the buyer has a ragtop. My advice would be to cancel that item and save the $$. That thing is easy enough to make or have made locally if its ever needed.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/06/14 10:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the mount stiffer kit.

Waste of money unless you have a ragtop. It won't add to resale unless the buyer has a ragtop. My advice would be to cancel that item and save the $$. That thing is easy enough to make or have made locally if its ever needed.

It was $55 and I ( ) will have them if I ever need them.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/06/14 10:42 PM

I suppose $55. isn't the end of the world.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/07/14 06:19 PM

I got a whirly jig pro model, we picked it up at the nats back in 92 and it still looks and works like the day we bought it. No doubt in my mind they are the best out there I also got the wheels and hitch kit to roll it off road, nice for moving on my dirt/gravel driveway.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/07/14 07:29 PM

You won't regret the Whirly-Jig. I bought one used here on Moparts, and love it!
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/09/14 12:38 AM

Whirly-Jig here.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/20/14 12:57 AM

Okay it's all y'alls fault.....

Attached picture 8336241-WhirlyjigNov19,2014.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/20/14 01:56 AM

Cool deal! and you got a dog house out of the deal too.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/20/14 02:07 AM

Quote:

Cool deal! and you got a dog house out of the deal too.

No comfy couch to lounge on while watching over the front yard, NO KOLBI. heck really it is his house, we just live in it!

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 05:53 AM

Okay now that I have the rotissire......I feel really dumb! I probably have more questions now than I had before I bought one! I have seen a lot of cars mounted up, I have had the Duster mounted up on one.....and still have no idea if we are doing it right!

First I am not mechanically gifted as many here are. We have measured, re measured, and re measured.....checked, re checked, and re checked again. Just can't get the concept of how to balance before we spin it over. We have made sure the front and rear crossbars are the same distance from the floor. The car is still top heavy. We looked at the instructions for using the balance that came with the kit. Still have yet to figure out how that is going to work......??? Yep I feel really dumb now!

Attached picture 8339319-image.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 03:17 PM

Quote:

Okay now that I have the rotissire......I feel really dumb! I probably have more questions now than I had before I bought one! I have seen a lot of cars mounted up, I have had the Duster mounted up on one.....and still have no idea if we are doing it right!

First I am not mechanically gifted as many here are. We have measured, re measured, and re measured.....checked, re checked, and re checked again. Just can't get the concept of how to balance before we spin it over. We have made sure the front and rear crossbars are the same distance from the floor. The car is still top heavy. We looked at the instructions for using the balance that came with the kit. Still have yet to figure out how that is going to work......??? Yep I feel really dumb now!

IMO I wouldn't mount it there. I would use the rear sprang hanger hole. Lot's stronger there. Need more pictures, can see what what your doing yet.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 03:37 PM

Okay. We were going off the instructions on where to mount. Right now this is just mocked up and still sitting on jack stands.

Attached picture 8339455-Barracudamount.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 03:38 PM

Front....

Attached picture 8339456-Barracudamountfront.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 06:17 PM

Where you have it mounted will work fine but on e-bodies I always use mounts that use the rear spring hanger hole. Leave it, you'll be fine.

To balance the car:

Put a spirit level on your floor - take a reading. Put the level on the door sill and adjust the car to match to the floor (close is good). This is done with the threaded rod on each end - adjust one up or down as necessary. The crossbars at either end will not necessarily be at the same height since the front and rear mounting points on the car are likely not at the same height.

So now that its level, you want to balance it.

Pull the locking pin out of the sprocket an loosen the lock bolts so the car can spin. Hopefully you haven't already got it too high but that's unlikely). Try to spin the car - push it a foot or so and then let go. If it wants to drop back to its original position then its too low. Adjust the threaded rods at each end equally to raise the car. Repeat trying to spin the car and adjusting till the car doesn't want to drop back to its original position. It should also get easier to spin as it gets closer to balanced.

Depending on what you still have on the car you may not get it balanced at all - i.e. if the rear end and front suspension are still in place then forget it, there is just too much bottom end weight.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 06:27 PM

Just re-read your post and looked closely at your photos. You have the crossbars cranked up to the max - that's why the car is "top heavy". You have to lower the car with the threaded rods at each end.

You use the threaded rods to adjust "balance" ONLY. The working height is adjusted using the hydraulic jacks and the pivot heights at each end MUST be the same. When adjusting working height, imagine the car spun on its side ... the pivot height will be the driveshaft tunnel height.

Attached picture 8339578-8339319-image.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 06:40 PM

Your fine mounted in the manner you show, did mine to the same locations without issue, though my mounting was a bit different in the structure.

The real choice you face is limitation of mounting position;

As shown, you'll need to touch up paint if you leave it on the jig, but it's horribly convenient when mounting your pre-assembled rear axle/spring combo and checking fitment of the rear valance.

Mounting to the spring perch makes for better paint access but makes for a pain while trying to remove and reinstall rear axle/spring combo. This location also eliminates you from checking the fitment of the rear valance unless you intend to temporarily take it off the jig.

As for balancing, use the whirly jig instructions, the base concept is that as the car is raised relative to the rotation center point, a balance position will be realized. This location may change if you mount the car with anything on it (perhaps glass still in doors, front suspension components, ect, ect)

Working on the jig is a real saver, the benefits far out weigh the inconvenience of time to mount the car.

Whirly Jig recommends using round bar stock running the length of the system in each of the lower outboard positions, for several reasons I chose instead to use square tube steel sections with an oversized coupling in the center to join the lengths, this now gives me better flexibility to have correct length tubing runs based on the cars actual length with minimal excess tubing protruding from beyond the jig. This approach also makes it easier to transport should you decide to move the jig less a car.

What I do is rent mine for minimal money, gets free storage and helps pay for itself. If I need it in the future it's available for reclaim, though I admit I rent only to trustworthy friends.

Good luck whatever you decide for mounting position and setup.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 08:29 PM

Okay. This morning we rewatched the video. We did as mentioned above and raised the yoke. That got us balanced!! Now we are trying to decide how to brace the back to the frame rail or leaf spring hanger. If we use a leaf spring hanger the rubber bushing will flex. So.....

Attached picture 8339670-image.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 08:38 PM

So anyone have good close up pics of ebody mounting? We were thinking of attaching an angle iron plate to the frame rail and the rear brace.

Attached picture 8339672-image.jpg
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 08:59 PM

Whirley Jig sells the pieces you need . I made my own. It bolts where the bumper brace goes.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 09:05 PM

The 2 green pieces.

Attached picture 8339691-varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpzVDYVu.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 09:12 PM

Heres a pic of how I set mine up, a bit unconventional by what many would do, note you can see the tube steel supports I spoke of below. . . . front is standard.

Attached picture 8339696-PICT0306.JPG

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 10:03 PM

How does this look?

Attached picture 8339742-image.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/23/14 10:43 PM

That should do it.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/24/14 12:10 AM

Here are the front and rear e-body mounts I sell with my rotisseries. Rear uses the spring hanger. What you're doing is fine and shouldn't have needed any additional bracing (just more stuff you have to work around).

Attached picture 8339833-rearleafhangerCamaro&'cudaChallenger1.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/24/14 12:36 AM

What type of bushing or fitting do you use in the eyelet the frame rail?

I think I will order US Car Tool subframe connectors tomorrow. Then tack them in place (multiple places), while the car is on jack stands. That way I should not have to worry about the body flexing when we roll it over on its side or top for the first time.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/24/14 12:59 AM

bushings ... anything that will fit, even blocks of hardwood.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/24/14 04:51 AM

Quote:

How does this look?

I went out to the garage, and looked at the brackets on my Whirly Jig. The rear brackets look identical to the ones in your picture. A Cuda was the last car that was on my Whirly Jig before I bought it.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/24/14 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How does this look?

I went out to the garage, and looked at the brackets on my Whirly Jig. The rear brackets look identical to the ones in your picture. A Cuda was the last car that was on my Whirly Jig before I bought it.

Thanks for the info everyone! Now that we have the brace tied in with the lower bumper bracket (bolted into the hole on the frame rail) it does seem more solid. Just can't get up the nerve to rotate it over on the side just yet. I see some people talk about rotating it over on the side (straight up and down) to install the subframes, but it just seems like that would be better done while on jack stands??? Am I wrong?

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/24/14 06:48 AM

Tack them on jack stands and finish welding on the rotisserie. Overhead welding is not for the faint of heart!

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/27/14 01:59 AM

Quote:

Tack them on jack stands and finish welding on the rotisserie. Overhead welding is not for the faint of heart!

Thanks for the info!

We picked up the pipe for the base units today. We went with 2" I.D. schedule 40 galvanized pipe!

Attached picture 8342850-image.jpg

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/27/14 02:14 AM

Quote:

We went with 2" I.D. schedule 40 galvanized pipe

Ouch !!! Was that the cheapest stuff you could find ?? All those rails do is keep the thing square and the ends from pushing out, they're not a structural member. I usually recommend 2" square 1/8" wall.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/27/14 02:25 AM

The owners manual calls for ROUND (not square) 2" ID black water pipe. We chose to get galvanized so that it would not rust. Cheap.....not exactly! 42 feet was $126. Schedule 40 is pretty thick and it is pretty heavy.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/27/14 06:23 AM

Quote:

The owners manual calls for ROUND

Whatever !! Some people sure like spending other people's hard-earned cash !!

Let me tell you the advantages of square ...

a) square costs less
b) you can easily make adapters to tie together shorter lengths (20 footers can be a PITA to store or haul around)
c) square can be used for a multitude of other projects when you're done with the rotisserie
d) square is lighter than the sched 40
e) the cross section of square will make it more rigid than a similar thickness of round - that's why you need the heavy sched 40

Anyhow, you got it and you're all set to spin that baby over now. Get to 'er !!

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 11/27/14 06:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not before the subframe connectors get here and get tacked in place.

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 12/02/14 09:41 PM

Quote:

Attached picture 8349170-73BarracudaSubframesinDec1,2014.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Need a rotisserie....have questions. - 12/03/14 10:12 PM

I have had two. I built my first one & now have another second one. A little tip, label all of the connections while it is together. makes it nice & easy to put back together the next time.

Attached picture 8350225-100_1320.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums