Moparts

fender tag restoration, yay or nay?

Posted By: RapidusMaximus

fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 10/29/14 05:00 PM

I have the original tag for my GTX...it's in decent shape for it's age but not perfect...should I restore it, if so what is the best method...or just leave it alone, if so it would be the only thing in the engine compartment not painted back to it's original QQ1 color. Thanks
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 10/29/14 05:20 PM

Nothing wrong with stripping and repainting it with the rest of the car, but I wouldnt add filler or anything, leave the pits and rust holes alone. That said, if its the cars only original document you might consider leaving it as is so it wont be easily confused with a reproduction.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 10/29/14 05:27 PM

Quote:

I have the original tag for my GTX...it's in decent shape for it's age but not perfect...should I restore it, if so what is the best method...or just leave it alone, if so it would be the only thing in the engine compartment not painted back to it's original QQ1 color. Thanks

What plant was the car built at? Not all Fender tags were painted body color.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 10/29/14 05:29 PM

Right, most Lynch Road cars (plant "A") had bare tags.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 10/29/14 07:17 PM

The car was built in St Louis. The tag has no rust holes, only surface rust. The rats ate the build sheet so this is all I have left of the original documentation.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 10/29/14 07:25 PM

Quote:

Right, most Lynch Road cars (plant "A") had bare tags.

QQ1 tells us it's a '67 or '68 tag.

Does one see a lot of unpainted '67/'68 LR tags like we do in '69?
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/03/14 12:08 AM

Since I have a build sheet I had a duplicate made which will go on the car. The original will be tucked away. Too many fender tags going missing at car shows.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/03/14 02:50 AM

Quote:

Since I have a build sheet I had a duplicate made which will go on the car. The original will be tucked away. Too many fender tags going missing at car shows.

..... the flip-side is too many fender tags/broadcast sheets/titles go missing after being placed in "SAFE" places.

JB Weld or similar is your friend
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/03/14 04:54 AM

blast it, paint it QQ1 and put it back on the car.. done..
Posted By: 440PURSUIT

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/03/14 05:13 AM

If you blast it , go easy on the pressure. I bent one like a pretzel once (Only Once!)

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/03/14 07:38 AM

Quote:

If you blast it , go easy on the pressure. I bent one like a pretzel once (Only Once!)

What the heck were ya using for media?? BUCKSHOT??
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/03/14 08:13 AM

Leave the hood down at shows if your away from the car
Tag theft is absolutely ridiculous what the hell are those people doing with the tags?
Thieves make me ill....

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/04/14 01:32 AM

Quote:

Leave the hood down at shows if your away from the car
Tag theft is absolutely ridiculous what the hell are those people doing with the tags?
Thieves make me ill....

what good does just the tag do...anyone with half a brain will check the dash, the door, the body, engine, tranny, core support, build sheet,, ect,,..
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/04/14 02:35 AM

I had a buddy have is broadcast sheet stolen. I told him before it happened just make a copy and display that instead the original but didn't listen. He didn't know what it would serve whoever stole it and I don't either. The same with the fender tag.

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/04/14 07:12 AM

Quote:

I had a buddy have is broadcast sheet stolen. I told him before it happened just make a copy and display that instead the original but didn't listen. He didn't know what it would serve whoever stole it and I don't either. The same with the fender tag.

He was stupid...50 cents at a FedEx copy center and he could have duplicated his broadcast sheet right down to the colors and text...
Posted By: 2002bluert

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/07/14 10:23 PM

Believe it or not there are guys out there that collect things you can't replace...lets call them Richards(not saying their name is Richard if you know what I mean) They are the same guys that go to house parties and still antique photographs of you grandparents. I know hard to believe.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: fender tag restoration, yay or nay? - 11/08/14 07:37 AM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with stripping and repainting it with the rest of the car, but I wouldnt add filler or anything, leave the pits and rust holes alone. That said, if its the cars only original document you might consider leaving it as is so it wont be easily confused with a reproduction.

My goal is to return my car to as-delivered condition; therefore I used a filler to repair slight rust damage on the fender tag. But I do also have the window sticker, two build sheets, and the dealer invoice with all the options listed. Personally I think fender tags that are pristine are to envy.

Maybe I should have used JB Weld rather than filler.
© 2024 Moparts Forums