Moparts

1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build

Posted By: Govierjr.

1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 09/21/14 12:06 AM

Looking for info on undercarriage primer color of early build E body cars. Charcoal grey? Red? Car in question is 9/69 challenger with what looks like both colors. Thanks in advance for responses
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: 1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 09/21/14 12:37 AM

Resto Rick has what you need.It's a charcoal black.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: 1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 09/21/14 03:17 PM

Quote:

Resto Rick has what you need.It's a charcoal black. [/quote

Huh! What Rick sells is dip GRAY primer

You will sell red primer behind the dash a lot on Mopars
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: 1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 09/21/14 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Resto Rick has what you need.It's a charcoal black. [/quote

Huh! What Rick sells is dip GRAY primer

You will sell red primer behind the dash a lot on Mopars

My mistake.I ment Frank Badelson.
And charcoal black is for LA built cars.
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: 1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 09/22/14 12:47 AM

when i stripped my challenger vert it had a dark grey primer under the body color but under that in a lot of areas was red oxide primer-more than likely for extra protection. areas such as the fuel filler on the rear quarter-the cowl area-the rear panel where the lead join behind the rear window etc.
all the best
frank.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 09/22/14 01:25 AM

Quote:

when i stripped my challenger vert it had a dark grey primer under the body color but under that in a lot of areas was red oxide primer-more than likely for extra protection. areas such as the fuel filler on the rear quarter-the cowl area-the rear panel where the lead join behind the rear window etc.
all the best
frank.

The red seems to be on the upper part of the body. I've seen it on paint that worn. Some people mistake it for rust or spot repair.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: 1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 09/23/14 06:12 PM

Polyurethane Dip Gray Primer

Dip Gray underbody on your car is correct.
The topside was first primed with a red oxide primer, followed by a light gray primer. Last was the topcoat color obviously. Some of the red oxide, light gray primer & topcoat color would overspray under the body; how much varied greatly... some cars show very little if any of the red or light gray primers and I've seen less common examples where it looked like the painter was using a garden hose applying the red oxide.
If you're lucky enough to have pics of, or the original example to go by, study it carefully for the best reference you can get!
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: 1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 10/28/14 10:51 AM

Quote:

Polyurethane Dip Gray Primer

Dip Gray underbody on your car is correct.
The topside was first primed with a red oxide primer, followed by a light gray primer. Last was the topcoat color obviously. Some of the red oxide, light gray primer & topcoat color would overspray under the body; how much varied greatly... some cars show very little if any of the red or light gray primers and I've seen less common examples where it looked like the painter was using a garden hose applying the red oxide.
If you're lucky enough to have pics of, or the original example to go by, study it carefully for the best reference you can get!

See example below

Attached picture 8314075-Orig1970B5ChallengerOrigPaint.jpg
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 1970 E body primer color Hamtramck build - 10/28/14 02:33 PM

Two examples of the dip coat color on 1970 Hamtramck cars;

Attached picture 8314145-1970dipchip.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums