Moparts

Advise on what to do

Posted By: 71rm23

Advise on what to do - 09/11/14 01:26 PM

Ordered a reman brake booster for my car. If it doesn't come cad plated, should I plate it or paint it black?

Don't know if I can even plate it correctly.

Advice?

Re: Advise on what to do - 09/11/14 02:22 PM

Anyone?
Posted By: demon

Re: Advise on what to do - 09/11/14 03:08 PM

Any reman booster i have opened up was spray bombed cast grey and looks lousy. If its a midland booster, they are easy to disassemble. Take it apart and send the halves out to be plated
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Advise on what to do - 09/11/14 03:20 PM

I got a new? rebuilt? booster from rock auto. It came half painted black with ton's of fish eyes in the paint. I tried to repaint it and the fish eyes kept coming back. I installed it looking like crap and it only lasted a year or so and was never right from the first day I put it in, even after many adjustments. After a year or so it quit boosting all together, what a pos.
I took it back off the car and installed a used 40 year old one I had and all has been good now for 3+ years with the used one.

Wasted my money with rock auto.
Posted By: GeorgeH

Re: Advise on what to do - 09/11/14 05:04 PM

Doesn't Eastwood have a spray bomb kit that mimics cad plating? I never used it so maybe someone else can chime in.
Posted By: RealWing

Re: Advise on what to do - 09/11/14 05:58 PM

Quote:

Doesn't Eastwood have a spray bomb kit that mimics cad plating? I never used it so maybe someone else can chime in.

I've used it but it just looks like a painted booster after you are done.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Advise on what to do - 09/11/14 06:49 PM

Quote:

I tried it, long ago...

Sent the cans right back to Eastwood...

Dichromate is dichromate...
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Advise on what to do - 09/12/14 06:21 AM

If you need yellow/rainbow dichromate on zinc plating, local shops here have a $70 minimum charge, which is okay if you have enough things to plate.

Some in the Mopar community may not have a minimum, but you'll pay shipping both ways. Here's one, but there are others:

http://bmcuda.com/services.htm

Re: Advise on what to do - 09/15/14 06:24 PM

The booster is rebuilt. Just want a "anodized" look so it will look like my M/C cover and wiper motor. Thanks to all who commented
© 2024 Moparts Forums