Moparts

Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help

Posted By: Rat_Exterminator

Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/03/14 09:31 PM

Left my 6pk Bird, idling outside while I ran into office and 5 minutes later a delivery guy came in to tell me my RR was on fire. apparently there was a fuel leak from somewhere that ignited and was burning away. Put it out with fire extinguisher and called my insurance co. Unfortunately it was about 6 days before they could get an adjuster there during which time residue from extinguisher started corroding bare metal. There were very fair with paint estimate, pulling engine, repaint engine compartment, hood, blending into nose and fenders but I need some help with sources and pricing on the following as I intend to do most of the assembly other than paint myself.

Restore carbs (again) Promax? $1200?
Restore wiper motor (again) $400?
Restore alternator
Media blast and repaint air breather
CA332 Filter $150
Engine Harness (evans) $100
Forward light harness evans $100
Trans to firewall harness?
Reanodize voltage reg bracket?
Bulkhead connector?
Positive & neg battery cables?

Other than carbs and wiper motor, they gave me $500 and I think they are quite a bit short here, Thanks for your help, Greg
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/03/14 09:49 PM

Quote:

Left my 6pk Bird, idling outside while I ran into office and 5 minutes later a delivery guy came in to tell me my RR was on fire. apparently there was a fuel leak from somewhere that ignited and was burning away. Put it out with fire extinguisher and called my insurance co. Unfortunately it was about 6 days before they could get an adjuster there during which time residue from extinguisher started corroding bare metal. There were very fair with paint estimate, pulling engine, repaint engine compartment, hood, blending into nose and fenders but I need some help with sources and pricing on the following as I intend to do most of the assembly other than paint myself.

Restore carbs (again) Promax? $1200?
Restore wiper motor (again) $400?
Restore alternator
Media blast and repaint air breather
CA332 Filter $150
Engine Harness (evans) $100
Trans to firewall harness?
Reanodize voltage reg bracket?
Bulkhead connector?
Positive & neg battery cables?

Other than carbs and wiper motor, they gave me $500 and I think they are quite a bit short here, Thanks for your help, Greg

on the carbs, i'd would give Scott Harms a shout. he's on here all the time. I've seen pics of his work and they are top notch!
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/03/14 10:15 PM

Thanks for that Mike

Restore carbs (again) Promax? $1200? - www.harmsauto.com $799.00

Restore wiper motor (again) $400? Bruce Somer somerbr1@aol.com

Restore alternator - Jim Ridge-Dixie Restorations (803) 924-6247. Call for a quote depends on damage

Media blast and repaint air breather - A paint pro to do it right, likely $300 or so

CA332 Filter $150.00 or so is close for a reproduction, $400-500.00 for an NOS one. Try ebay

Engine Harness (evans)
Trans to firewall harness? $100

I'd get all wiring from M&H harness (Year One 800-932-7663) probably double the price (or more) but the best I've seen.

Reanodize voltage reg bracket? Bulkhead connector?

J&S Restoration 412.295.1333 (contact for a quote)

Positive & neg battery cables? Frank Badelson sixpackfrank@aol.com
Posted By: sixpackbird

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/03/14 11:39 PM

My 6 pak Bird caught fire in 1975 from a fuel leak that caused fuel to collect under the manifold and ignite. Check your hood carefully, it might be warped (mine was), very difficult to see until you paint it and you see it is wavy, alert your body man to look for this, also check your fender scoops,the rear edge of the fender scoop will droop, they are only plastic and it doesn't take a lot of heat to start deforming.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/04/14 12:11 AM

That stinks. Sounds like you were lucky to catch it quick.

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/04/14 03:16 AM

Thanks all, I WAS lucky to catch it quickly. and it was fuel laying below the intake manifold too. Scott, I knew you were the go to it guy on hemi stuff but didn't realize you;d stoop to lowly 440 stuff LOL. Can I bring carbs to you at Nationals next week? or does that create transport problems for you? Turn around time? I had about a 4" diameter blister on top of the hood, nothing major so there shouldn't be warpage hopefully but I'll check. Thanks. Good reminder to all of us why we need to carry fire extinguishers, no doubt.

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/04/14 03:44 AM

Funny, I probably restore more of those pesky 6 packs than anything else

I won't be at the Nats, but couldn't get them on the plane home anyway so shipping is the way to go. Current turn time is about 6 weeks. Box each in a small box by itself, then pack all 3 tightly in a single bigger box, include your contact info inside. Toss in your linkage and other tarnished small plated parts and I'll do them at no added cost. USPS, FedEx, or UPS are fine, address is on my site, no payment due until completed.
Posted By: 440PURSUIT

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/04/14 04:40 AM

I have a 6 Pack Bird, too. I had Holley did the carbs. DISAPPOINTING, Color and warped base plate.! All American Barb in Florida is a great choice, too!

Did you have Repop Harnesses on car when it caught fire?
Ironically, I have a 65 Coronet Convert I am building/built. Evans Harnesses originally.
Got the Engine Bay detailed and all running well!
Let it idle for about 15 mins then took for a drive.
Car caught on fire and did the same damage as yours.
I had blamed the situation of possible mel;ting of Holly Plastic Sight Plugs....(Ethanol)
Nevertheless, I bought harnesses from MH (Year One) this time.

Don;t know the exact cause but I am eliminating possibilities.
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/04/14 04:55 AM

Thanks Scott
Restore wiper motor (again) $220 plus shipping unless the internals are toast.I can also throw the reg bracket in with the rest of the plating. Bruce Somer somerbr1@aol.com
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/04/14 11:00 PM

Everyone might consider obtaining Halon extinguisher instead powder and other types. Much easier post fire cleanup and likely corrosion damage to what's left
Posted By: dilvoy

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/05/14 12:45 AM

Quote:

Everyone might consider obtaining Halon extinguisher instead powder and other types. Much easier post fire cleanup and likely corrosion damage to what's left

Are Halon fire extinguishers allowed to be sold in Ca?
Posted By: sixpacksteve

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/05/14 01:29 AM

First i would thank the delivery guy. second, be glad thats All that happened! third be thankful there are guys like Scott etc.. to do the work that fast! Good luck on your repair
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/05/14 09:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Everyone might consider obtaining Halon extinguisher instead powder and other types. Much easier post fire cleanup and likely less or zero corrosion damage to what's left

Are Halon fire extinguishers allowed to be sold in Ca?

Amazingly yes. Don't tell anyone as the nutcases in Sacramento will likely find an excuse to either tax or ban them. Of course with not a clue as to what they are or why someone would use one.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/06/14 05:38 AM

Quote:

My next door neighbor was a retired county fire chief. Very first thing he asked me after I restored my RR "where is the Halon fire extinguisher?" Shortly after that, I used his contacts to buy one.

About a year later we were in a mopar caravan to local show and a friends 69 Charger RT started smoking from the hood. Quickly pulled over and I used my Halon to put it out. I've got some pix somewhere, but there was very little damage - from the fire or extinguisher.

These are now in ALL my vehicles.
Posted By: fig426

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/07/14 06:03 AM

Quote:

Funny, I probably restore more of those pesky 6 packs than anything else

I won't be at the Nats, but couldn't get them on the plane home anyway so shipping is the way to go. Current turn time is about 6 weeks. Box each in a small box by itself, then pack all 3 tightly in a single bigger box, include your contact info inside. Toss in your linkage and other tarnished small plated parts and I'll do them at no added cost. USPS, FedEx, or UPS are fine, address is on my site, no payment due until completed.

And this is why Scott is awesome and others aren't.

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/08/14 01:30 AM

Scott is awesome in the way he shares his vast knowledge with everyone here, not just the popular guys. In addition to providing a great service at good prices. If I can help support his business and keep him in the mopar hobby instead of flipping burgers for Ray Croc, its a win win. Thanks Scott for all you do! Greg

PS is the 6 week turnaround from the time we talk about it or from when I get them to you ?
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/08/14 01:55 AM

Quick Fuel did my six pack carbs they turned out very nice and ran great.

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/08/14 02:55 AM

Quote:

PS is the 6 week turnaround from the time we talk about it or from when I get them to you ?

I'll get them back to you ASAP, it will vary a bit based on the condition they arrive in, damaged or missing parts can string things out a bit. Here is a set I just did that took 10 weeks.....but it's easy to see why (right?).

Attached picture 8233267-DaveWestTitanicRelicsBefore.jpg

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/08/14 02:56 AM

But the outcome was good in the end.

Attached picture 8233268-DaveWestAfterB(1).jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/08/14 03:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is a set I just did that took 10 weeks.....but it's easy to see why (right?).

You're getting slow like me !!

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/08/14 03:56 AM

Quote:

Well I'm not getting any faster Bill that's for sure!
Posted By: Dustya440

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/08/14 05:52 PM

Sorry to hear about the fire.
We are located in Grandville, Mi. If there is anything we can do to help out, let me know.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Superbird Engine Fire Restoration help - 08/08/14 08:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well I'm not getting any faster Bill that's for sure!

Ohhhh, us old farts........
© 2024 Moparts Forums