Moparts

back window molding clip question on b body

Posted By: 3wracing

back window molding clip question on b body - 07/25/14 02:20 AM

How tight should the moulding clips be on a 68-69 b body. how hard should the moulding go on ? At the mopar meet this year at maple grove dragway i did see a rear window come out while a car was going down the strip . Dont want that but it seems the trim fits tight!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: back window molding clip question on b body - 07/25/14 04:41 AM

The trim doesn't hold the glass in, the seal does - the trim is just for show! The clips should be tight. Make sure you have the CORRECT clips and I believe the rear uses two different clips - one type for the lower trim and another for the rest.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: back window molding clip question on b body - 07/25/14 06:33 AM

I'm going to throw this at you.

When I did my '68 GTX, I got clip kits for the front and rear windows. The front kit was great....the moulding snapped on like a piece of cake.
Now...the back window.....

The clips were SO tight on the body that I was beginning to mark up the paint trying to install the mouldings. I ended up taking most of the clips off and slightly tweeking them so that there was a bit of a gap between the face of the clip and the body. After a couple of "tweeks", the mouldings finally snapped on like they should.

I can't remember where I purchased the clips from, but I know it was from one of the sponsors on this board.

Basically just saying that you'd better check the tightness before you commit yourself to basically having to POUND the chrome on.
Posted By: Big D A12

Re: back window molding clip question on b body - 07/25/14 01:12 PM

I agree with the previous post. Clips hold on the trim, adhesive keeps the window in. I just did this on my Bee. Most auto shops have the ribbon seal available. I bought mine from Car Quest. See attached picture.

The clips are available from Mega Parts. My trim fit perfect with the set they sold me.

D

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MP-WMC405268&cat=316

Attached picture 8219149-IMG_2255.JPG
Posted By: rodroc

Re: back window molding clip question on b body - 07/25/14 08:17 PM

Thanks for the advice
Posted By: 3wracing

Re: back window molding clip question on b body - 07/25/14 11:03 PM

thanks guys for the imfo. Superwrench just what i needed to hear i figured that was my next plan of attack. does NYONE HAVE A PROCEDURE FOR LOCKING IN THE FRONT SEAL?
Posted By: superwrench

Re: back window molding clip question on b body - 07/25/14 11:57 PM

Quote:

thanks guys for the imfo. Superwrench just what i needed to hear i figured that was my next plan of attack. does NYONE HAVE A PROCEDURE FOR LOCKING IN THE FRONT SEAL?

Yeh...it wasn't actually what I needed to happen either. They were REALLY tight against the sheet metal. You can't just loosen the screw either. I tweeked the clip where the screw goes thru and I think that I used a real thin plastic washer behind the clip on some so that they were all evenly gapped.
The chrome then snapped on without too much pressure like it should. There was NO WAY it was going on before that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums