Moparts

Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly

Posted By: parksr5

Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/24/14 02:35 AM

I've got a question about the vent window assembly for a 69 Road Runner/B body. If you look at the attached picture at the left at the very bottom of the channel for the door glass there is metal bracket that comes off of the channel that has a round hole. I've seen about 50% of the vent window assemblies that have this bracket and 50% that don't. What is it for? Is the piece just missing on some of the assemblies that I've seen or do some cars just not have them?

I'd appreciate if someone could clear this up for me. Thank you!

Attached picture 8185708-VentWindow.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/24/14 02:57 AM

Its a support as there is a long rod with a threaded part and a nut that holds it secure to the lower part of the door frame. Prevents the vent window frame work from rattling / flexing when you hit a bump or shut the door. A lot of times the very small spot welds break off on the bracket.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/24/14 04:21 AM

Yes, if you look at the vent windows on my car you'll see that 50% have the bracket and 50% don't (one's broken off).
Posted By: wesgtx440

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/24/14 05:56 AM

It also has foam wrapped around the stud that attaches from the bottom of the door to keep it from rattling. And yes it is common for them to break and need re-attached to the vent frame.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/24/14 01:41 PM

Here is a pic of the hardware

Attached picture 8186055-brokenbracket.jpg

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/24/14 01:44 PM

It is almost impossible to re weld the original welds and not interupt the window channel flow. I always re-weld them on the outside.

Attached picture 8186056-weldbracket3.jpg

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/24/14 01:46 PM

Here is a pic of the stud that slides into the bracket and as said it has a piece of foam to keep it from making noise.

Attached picture 8186058-ventwing2.jpg
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/24/14 02:31 PM

Quote:

It is almost impossible to re weld the original welds and not interupt the window channel flow. I always re-weld them on the outside.

Great idea...

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 06/25/14 12:02 AM

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Great pictures Mike; that really helps!

I waxed the car this weekend and although I knew in the past, I really started noticing how bad some of the bright parts are on my car. The vent window frames are included in the bad parts. I've searched before for better vent window frames and wondered what the deal was with the brackets.
Posted By: brianz426

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 03/17/15 07:56 PM

Rather than start a knew thread on this same subject I thought I would ask this question here since it wasn't brought up before. On both of my vent windows only one out of the two welds is broken. I was thinking that I could carefully pry apart the lower broken weld to gain some space in between the two pieces, then force some J-B Weld in and clamp together. Do you guys think that would hold?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 03/17/15 09:00 PM

Quote:

then force some J-B Weld in and clamp together. Do you guys think that would hold?

Personally I don't think so. I had the same problem, one broken weld. I threw a tack on the outside and also did the other bracket that wasn't broken. I don't ever want to take those things apart again !!
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 03/17/15 09:04 PM

Quote:

Same here, been doing it that way for 20 years

From what I've seen, it's more like 75% are broke off

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 03/18/15 07:28 PM

I'm still looking for some nicer vent window assemblies; I'm hoping to find some at Charlisle this year. Since I started this post I have found and purchased a nos driver side remote mirror, nos grille and headlight bezels, re-chromed original tail light bezels, nos tail light lenses and I sent my front bumper off for chrome about a month ago. The car should look a lot better this year.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 03/18/15 08:09 PM

Tough to find nice originals.

Which is why - https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...;gonew=1#UNREAD
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Stupid Question About 69 B Body Vent Window Assembly - 03/20/15 03:46 PM

Hi Bill

thanks for the mention

yes we just recently got in the new vent window kits

68-70 B-body Chrome Vent Window Kit. Includes The Long Chrome Forward Post, Chrome Pivot Assembly, The Chrome Vent Window Channel And Lock Lever All For $545,

We also have an installation guide for installing them,
and we are working on the lower support brackets that are spot welded on

They Are In Stock And Ready To Ship

302-398-0821

TONYSPARTS.COM
Please call or email through our website
© 2024 Moparts Forums