Moparts

Dying dashboard pad?

Posted By: superbeedave

Dying dashboard pad? - 06/17/14 04:39 AM

Is there any other way to dye this pad while still in the car other than spray black dye? Such as a small sponge dipped in black dye and applied very lightly to surface of crash bad. Is it possible to do and have a decent finish? Thanks, Dave
Posted By: cdp

Re: Dying dashboard pad? - 06/18/14 02:46 AM

I've heard of people using Ritz dye for seat belts. May work for dash pad, but I doubt you'd get "show quality" results. Just a thought.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Dying dashboard pad? - 06/18/14 02:29 PM

Quote:

Is there any other way to dye this pad while still in the car other than spray black dye? Such as a small sponge dipped in black dye and applied very lightly to surface of crash bad. Is it possible to do and have a decent finish? Thanks, Dave

No! You can mask it off and then clean it with laquer thinner and then shoot it.

Re: Dying dashboard pad? - 06/18/14 05:30 PM

That's what I thought I would have to do. It will take longer to mask it all off then it will to spray it. Can't get overspray anywhere inside the car. Thanks, Dave
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Dying dashboard pad? - 06/18/14 07:04 PM

I always take longer to mask off than to paint.
Shouldn't be that bad, look at the way I masked off the entire car to shoot the cross piece of the radiator support with a paint gun.You could do it in less than an hour and spray bomb has way less overspray than a gun.

Attached picture 8180044-1970roadrunner067.jpg

Re: Dying dashboard pad? - 06/19/14 02:14 AM

How true! I'm guilty of that also!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums