Moparts

To undercoat or not to undercoat

Posted By: Aar1064

To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/27/14 03:23 PM

Ever since I started the restoration of my AAR I never doubted my decision to restore as close to factory as possible including the undercoating but here lately I've been thinking paint instead. The undercoating is on the build sheet and thus far I have stuck to the sheet with everything else. I have the time and don't mind the extra work to paint if in the end it's better for the car as far as a top notch resto goes. I don't mind the undercoating look at all (yeah I'm one of those that like it) but just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Man I love this car!

All opinions welcome
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/27/14 03:28 PM

I have done it both ways and prefer less is better. It sounds like you are a bit like me, so I would do what the factory did (w/non undercoated cars) and undercoat the rear wheel wells as well as the front inner fender wells and call it a day!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/27/14 03:31 PM

Quote:

I have done it both ways and prefer less is better. It sounds like you are a bit like me, so I would do what the factory did (w/non undercoated cars) and undercoat the rear wheel wells as well as the front inner fender wells and call it a day!

Agreed....
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/27/14 03:31 PM

Quote:

Ever since I started the restoration of my AAR I never doubted my decision to restore as close to factory as possible including the undercoating but here lately I've been thinking paint instead. The undercoating is on the build sheet and thus far I have stuck to the sheet with everything else. I have the time and don't mind the extra work to paint if in the end it's better for the car as far as a top notch resto goes. I don't mind the undercoating look at all (yeah I'm one of those that like it) but just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

If you paint it do it like the factory did, not totally painted body color like the top side.

Man I love this car!

All opinions welcome

If you paint it, do it like the factory did, not totally painted body color like the top side.
I am working on a 71 B-body and it is a factory undercoated car. We did it with dip primer and overspray like the factory. Took pics and then undercoated the undercarriage like it was according to the original pics we took. I like the results. Just be sure and use the correct undercoating and you will never have any problems cleaning it after it dries.
If it were my car and I was doing it as close to original as possible no doubt it would be undercoated, especially since it was a FACTORY undercoated car and not done by the dealer.
Posted By: v8punch

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/27/14 03:52 PM

One regret I have been doing an undercoat in my car.

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/28/14 12:00 AM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Think I'm staying the course and undercoating. 85% of it is there and pics will be taken as to what was undercoated and what wasn't. I've got the right undercoating already and even have purchased the gun. Now if we can have a undercoating removal party with free beer, hamburgers and hot dogs. Any volunteers? Address will be provided upon request
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/28/14 01:54 PM

What part of TN are you in?
Posted By: can.al

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/28/14 06:13 PM

do a search and look at some hi end restorations before you decide.
primer with body color over spray and undercoated wheel wells really
look nice when detailed out.
You could cover everything with undercoat after if you don't like it!

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 04:34 AM

Ashland City

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 04:45 AM

Yeah they do look sweet and I'd probably do that if it was born that way. I'm trying real hard to stay true to this one but you never know till it's done.

Appreciate the reply.
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 07:25 AM

I always think an undercoated look on a restored car screams that you are hiding something. I would go with the primer look underneath with overspray and undercoat the front and rear wheel houses.

Rick.
Posted By: steve70

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 12:26 PM

Quote:

I always think an undercoated look on a restored car screams that you are hiding something. I would go with the primer look underneath with overspray and undercoat the front and rear wheel houses.

Rick.

Posted By: Stewpar

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 02:38 PM

Quote:

Rick.

Another reason less is more........
Posted By: Silver70

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 03:35 PM

It's rare to see a restored car fully undercoated. I usually do it on mine since I drive them. Although I do agree, it can look like your hiding something, but if done right, I don't think it does.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 03:55 PM

Quote:

If you paint it, do it like the factory did, not totally painted body color like the top side.
I am working on a 71 B-body and it is a factory undercoated car. We did it with dip primer and overspray like the factory. Took pics and then undercoated the undercarriage like it was according to the original pics we took. I like the results. Just be sure and use the correct undercoating and you will never have any problems cleaning it after it dries.
If it were my car and I was doing it as close to original as possible no doubt it would be undercoated, especially since it was a FACTORY undercoated car and not done by the dealer.

This

There's always another option as well. Follow the above procedure and stop before adding the final undercoating, or just do the wheel wells like all cars got. You can always add the undercoating later on if you so desire. Don't forget, undercoating cars also got under hood pads. If you decide to leave off the undercoating, also leave off the under hood pad, again, it can always be added later but the clips will usually scratch your paint going in so be sure before adding one.

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 06:27 PM

Underhood pads? Doesn't apply to AAR right? If it does I'm not sure what you mean.

Chet
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 09:14 PM

you haven't stripped the old undercoating off yet?

Youll change your mind three times before youre ready to put the new stuff on.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/30/14 09:20 PM

Correct, no under hood pad on factory glass hood cars.

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 05/31/14 03:03 AM

Yeah you're right. I go to bed thinking about this car and wake up thinking about this car. Second guessing, third guessing, etc but loving every minute of it though. Did I mention I love this car.

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/17/14 09:38 PM

Well I spent all day Saturday removing the undercoating using the high pressure steam cleaner method. I started just with heating and scraping but realized it would take quite a while to remove it all. I searched around on Moparts to find a better way and glad I did because it worked great. It took longer than 4 or 5 hours like others have experienced but nonetheless 3000 psi and 220 degrees was a lot faster than scraping. I found that fender wells were the hardest to remove as well as the places that had it caked on maybe 3/8 inch thick. There wasn't a place on the underside where undercoating was not still on meaning what was sprayed from factory was still intact and hard.

The places near motor and trans was easier to get off and I contribute that to the oil through the years. The wheel houses were dry and believe this was why they were so difficult. I used some aircraft stripper and it helped a lot.

Still haven't made up my mind whether to undercoat, or go factory gray. Man this tough.
Opinions still welcome. Maybe I should have a vote.

Attached picture 8243424-image.jpg

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/17/14 09:39 PM

Another

Attached picture 8243426-image.jpg

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/17/14 09:40 PM

Another 2

Attached picture 8243428-image.jpg

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/17/14 09:42 PM

After

Attached picture 8243430-image.jpg

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/17/14 09:43 PM

After 2

Attached picture 8243432-image.jpg
Posted By: steve70

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/17/14 09:59 PM

It looks great. I'd only undercoat the wheel wells. When I see a restored car undercoated I always think they trying to hide panel replacement. Besides do you really want to cover up all your hard work?
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/17/14 11:26 PM

you can always put it on later.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/18/14 12:16 AM

Great job, cool seeing the factory over spray!! That's the way to do it, I use reg gasoline in a pump up sprayer to soften the tuff stuff after the first go round.

I would only do the wheel wells when it goes back together.

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/18/14 12:57 AM

It was your removal process as well as Scott Smith's that I saw and pushed me toward getting the high pressure steam washer. I tried the gasoline and it helped on some but not the wheel houses so I used the paint stripper. I'm sure if I'd been more patient it would've worked but I was running out of daylight.

Anyway it's off and I'm so glad. Thanks for posting your initial process.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/18/14 01:22 AM

Cool deal, Yes my wheel wells were the toughest also to get off. I think some of that is road tar?, many layers of it little by little from over the years, not just undercoat.

Good luck with your car, you got the tough stuff done at this point. Enjoy your ride through restoration and when it's done!

After mine was in paint is when I really enjoyed putting it back together and working on it.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/18/14 01:27 AM

Looks great, as per our e-mails here is my opinion:

As for the color underneath, I would (and did) go back as close to factory as I could. Keep in mind your car was an undercoated car so I would go back with it, I used the stuff Batalson sells and I am real happy with it. Undercoating goes on after paint so no overspray on it, just on the gray as your pictures show. As far as sound deadener,
how much are you really gonna drive the car and will the insolation from road noise really matter, think about it.

One of your questions was about value:

In the end I am not sure it will hurt value one way or the other, it will be the curb appeal that sells most cars for the dollar they go for. As for me if it was there I would put it back and if I bought a car of this level that was factory coded for it and it didn't have it I would take it apart at some point to correct it and of course use it to beat the owner up on the price, but I wouldn't pass on the car> because it was missing. The opposite is true if car had it and wasn't suppose to, I would think you were trying to hide something (but you have pictures to counter that) and would consider passing on it unless really priced in the dirt.

It is added after some of the assembly but I don't believe after full assembly so adding it later will not be as accurate as the rest of your build. I do love the way mine looks with the primer and overspray and the contrasting parts ont he belly but if it was an undercoated car it would be on it.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/18/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed....

me too.

Dave
Posted By: can.al

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/18/14 07:19 PM

yes,at the very least, wheel wells undercoated black.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/19/14 02:22 AM

My 70 Cuda was coded for undercoating, but the undercoat was only in the wheel wells. It was a California car.

Here is the RH fender area.

Attached picture 8244704-RHUndercoating.jpg
Posted By: DeMopuar

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/20/14 11:30 AM

Undercoating on a restored car to me looks like the restorer is trying not to hide panel replacement so much as all the dents on the bottom side of these cars that they receive over the years of use. Yes, you can hide the plug welds on replacement panels too, but it also hides little dents and dings too. At any rate, it always looks to me that SOMETHING is being hid with undercoating, factory or not.......

I would agree that the overspray and primer look is, well, more. Not many people do this as it is more work, but it sure looks better, and just undercoating in wheel wells and front fender area.

Best of luck!!!!!

Re: To undercoat or not to undercoat - 08/21/14 02:56 AM

Well after a lot of thought and suggestions from everyone here, I've decided to go factory gray specifically with what Rick sells at resto rick.com. Like I said in the beginning I don't mind the extra work I just want to do what I feel is right for the car. I started wiping it down last night with some zxlene, xlene, zylene, whatever, removing the film of undercoating and it's going to clean up nice. No dents to speak of so shouldn't be all that bad to get ready to prime then paint. Not sure I will go as far as body color overspray underneath but we'll see.
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone as it really helped.

Did I mention that I love this car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums