Moparts

rebuilding a dual point distributor

Posted By: mickm

rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/17/14 07:24 PM

i picked up a 68 440 dual point at spring fling, and want to do a restoration as a project, probably long term!

where do i find parts and such for these? like the screws that hold the vacuum advance on are pretty beat up.

and can anyone give basic info on what needs to be done? like the vacuum advance, (which does work), has a lot of surface crap on it, and so needs to be cleaned up, but i don't know the best way to do this.

any thoughts or pointers appreciated!
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/17/14 08:18 PM

MegaParts has a screw/washer kit for them. They are very simple to completely pull apart, clean, glass bead the housing and paint. I've been lucky with the few I have rebuilt, the shaft bushings were still tight and didn't need to be replaced. The oiler pulls out with a little force, so that you can clean or replace it with a new one (Crossram Connection makes them new).

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/17/14 08:25 PM

Quote:

MegaParts has a screw/washer kit for them. They are very simple to completely pull apart, clean, glass bead the housing and paint. I've been lucky with the few I have rebuilt, the shaft bushings were still tight and didn't need to be replaced. The oiler pulls out with a little force, so that you can clean or replace it with a new one (Crossram Connection makes them new).

thanks, thats the kind of stuff i'm looking for.

what about the vacuum advance, how do i clean that up?

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/17/14 08:28 PM

oh, and another question, where do i find quality points?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/17/14 08:37 PM

You can make them look like this with a little effort.

As for points,get in touch with Joe Sixpack

Attached picture 8115748-Picture277.jpg
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/17/14 09:41 PM

Joes sixpack
Posted By: kentj340

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/18/14 03:26 AM

Pretty good DIY dual point restoration article with lots of photos here:

The text - http://roadtrip.yearone.com/search/label/MOPAR

and scroll down 1/3 of the page.

The photos are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39161502@N06/sets/72157626179045400/
Posted By: LemonTwiist

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/19/14 02:35 PM

Who is making the tags now. Bill Rolik out of Jersey lost all of his dies for making them. He only has select ones left

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/19/14 04:34 PM

Quote:

Who is making the tags now. Bill Rolik out of Jersey lost all of his dies for making them. He only has select ones left

I'm pretty sure that you can buy them from Norm Brady at The Crossram Connection.

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/19/14 04:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thanks, thats the kind of stuff i'm looking for.

what about the vacuum advance, how do i clean that up?

Maxwagons look better than mine do Since I don't have any other way, I lightly glass bead mine and then polish the stamped metal half of the advance with a fine wire wheel. The cast portion looks to have had some sort of plating on it. If you blast it too long, you will see the raw metal color start to show through.

I just pulled the distributor out of my Bee the other night to clean it up and "detail" it and throw some new points in.

Attached picture 8117503-1970Bee.jpg

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/19/14 04:50 PM

What I started with...

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/20/14 03:13 AM

Does anyone have a distributor machine anymore for setting the dwell ?

I recall doing this in high school I also remember checking the dwell buy putting a matchbook to block off one set of points....
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/20/14 04:13 AM

I think maybe HP Mike in Jersey
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/20/14 04:30 AM

Quote:

I think maybe HP Mike in Jersey

Also,member Beeware.( Paul Petcou )You will have it back in a few days.

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/20/14 08:04 AM

Quote:

I recall doing this in high school I also remember checking the dwell buy putting a matchbook to block off one set of points....

damn, but it's been a long time! i remember something about that, but it's not coming all back...

is there something different you have to do when setting the dwell on dual point distributors?

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/20/14 09:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

damn, but it's been a long time! i remember something about that, but it's not coming all back...

is there something different you have to do when setting the dwell on dual point distributors?

Block off one set of points, set dwell....then switch.....so you set the dwell on each set seperately, then hopefully you end up with the correct combined dwell
Posted By: ChargerKnight66

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/21/14 01:36 AM

Quote:

You mean like this? I'm checking the advance curve...

Attached picture 8119242-SUN.jpg
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/21/14 02:53 PM

Boy would I like to own one of those.Been looking for one.

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/21/14 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You mean like this? I'm checking the advance curve...

Re: rebuilding a dual point distributor - 04/21/14 06:05 PM

saw a couple of guys carrying one of those through the swap meet at spring fling. looked like a good find!
© 2024 Moparts Forums