Moparts

Cuda hood pin question

Posted By: Cloned_Cuda

Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 04:03 AM

What size hole for the pin and the size for cover plate mounting screws.
Is there a template available for layout?
The hole for the pin use a hole saw to get a clean edge?
I don't have a hood that has the holes in it that I can transfer from.

Thanks!!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 04:17 AM

I've done it, but don't have the dimensions. As far as cutting the hole the best method is a green lee punch, but they are expensive and you or I don't own them.
That said use a step bit, you know, the ones that look like a Christmas tree. That is capable of making a big hole without catching the sheet metal and making an ugly warp

Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 04:51 AM

Quote:

As far as cutting the hole the best method is a green lee punch, but they are expensive

There's always the Harbor Freight version of Greenlee punches.... they call them "knockout punches" and are $24.99 a set.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 04:51 AM

Here are some pictures when I did mine.

http://s710.photobucket.com/user/67vertm...823196447697792

It has been awhile since I did them, but I am pretty sure i drill the pin holes 5/8" and screw holes 1/8. The step drill worked great.
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 05:06 AM

10 minutes on the search here got me other good tips for other installs and a factory drawing but 5 seconds on google got this article...if that info doesn't help 100% can spend some time in the search pages

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1303_step_by_how_to_install_hoodpins/

Your Cuda is really looking nice 67vertman
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 05:56 AM

A Klien tools 1/2" knockout punch for 15.00 shipped on Ebay is a good way. Cuts about a 5/8 hole.
Posted By: 1971 Gran Coupe

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 06:13 AM

A 1/2" conduit punch makes a 7/8" hole. That is too large so be sure and do homework before cutting. I am away from my car and not able to send any detailed info. Good Luck.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 06:40 PM

Quote:

10 minutes on the search here got me other good tips for other installs and a factory drawing but 5 seconds on google got this article...if that info doesn't help 100% can spend some time in the search pages

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1303_step_by_how_to_install_hoodpins/

Thanks ebodyseast, I need to post some pictures of it now that I have resprayed it flat black and blacked oy the bumpers.

Thats a good article you found on the hood pins!

Your Cuda is really looking nice 67vertman

Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 11:19 PM

Quote:

A 1/2" conduit punch makes a 7/8" hole. That is too large so be sure and do homework before cutting. I am away from my car and not able to send any detailed info. Good Luck.

The 7/8" hole is just what I measured on my bare Cuda hood, so that conduit knock out would do the trick, the pin hole location is: measuring from the SIDE edges of the hood, 4 1/4" from the DRIVER"S/PASSENGER"S SIDE edge to the center of the pin hole, and 3 1/4" from the front edge of the hood to the center of the hole, the smaller bezel/screw holes can be located by centering the hood pin bezel hole over the hood hole, the screw orientation is an X pattern if your standing in front of the hood

Attached picture 8106286-hoodpin1.JPG

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 11:22 PM

And you'll need the CUDA specific hood pin bracket to mount the pin also

Attached picture 8106289-hoodpins.jpg

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/08/14 11:25 PM

You didn't say what year Cuda your doing, so I'll assume 70?...if so here's the 70 cable/pin factory print

Mike

Attached picture 8106292-hoodpinscuda.JPG
Posted By: 1971 Gran Coupe

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/09/14 02:05 AM

Thanks for the assist to my post, as it is difficult to remember the correct size needed. Always better to research before removing too much metal.

Quote:

Quote:

The 7/8" hole is just what I measured on my bare Cuda hood, so that conduit knock out would do the trick, the pin hole location is: measuring from the SIDE edges of the hood, 4 1/4" from the DRIVER"S/PASSENGER"S SIDE edge to the center of the pin hole, and 3 1/4" from the front edge of the hood to the center of the hole, the smaller bezel/screw holes can be located by centering the hood pin bezel hole over the hood hole, the screw orientation is an X pattern if your standing in front of the hood

Posted By: Cloned_Cuda

Re: Cuda hood pin question - 04/09/14 02:51 AM

Thanks to everyone!! and yes it is a 70. Thank you Mike for the factory print.
© 2024 Moparts Forums