Moparts

69 GTX pin stripe question

Posted By: Anonymous

69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 04:23 AM

Was the pin stripe on the blacked out area on 1969 GTX's a reflective stripe? I've heard that the white was while the red was not. Our car has the red stripe on it and from talking to the third owner, that stripe was never removed and does not appear to have ever been messed with. The red stripe that is currently on the car is NOT reflective either. Would any one know what the original thickness of the pin stripe was? Also, any confirmation if they were reflective or not would be appreciated as we are getting ready to repaint the lower blacked out area on the GTX.

Thanks,

Brian
Posted By: A12

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 05:15 AM

My '69 GTX has a white REFLECTIVE stripe and Bill Allphin aka gtx6970 gave me six boxes of original (NOS) white GTX striping that was put back on. Had to lay it out in the sun for most of the day before it went back on. I too heard the red GTX striping was NOT reflective but can't say for sure, can only speak for the white REFLECTIVE striping

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 05:21 AM

Ironically I have a small piece of the white stripe stuck on a "tape" measure that I will measure the width for you when I find it
Posted By: RJS

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 06:07 AM

When I had my 69 GTX convertible it had a reflective red stripe but it was a reproduction.
Can't speak for what was original.
Ron

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 06:23 AM

This is what is currently on the car. From what the third owner told me, this is also how he had it 10 years ago. The body color (T3) has been repainted while the blacked out lower portion does not seem to have ever been redone from what we can tell.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

more pics.

Posted By: 69x

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 06:39 AM

The red IS reflective, I ordered some NOS back in the day. The red stripe on your car looks to thin.

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 06:48 AM

What is the correct thickness? I think ours is approx. 1/8".

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 03:56 PM

Quote:

What is the correct thickness? I think ours is approx. 1/8".

I think it is 3/8". I didn't find the sample and forgot to go to the garage and measure last night, sorry.

Attached picture 8052341-IMG_0158rs28a.jpg

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 03:59 PM

reflecting.....(compare the size of the trim clip holes to the tape/stripe width for a rough guess at the size)

Attached picture 8052344-DSC04203warrws.jpg
Posted By: RJS

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 10:25 PM

Quote:

The red IS reflective, I ordered some NOS back in the day. The red stripe on your car looks to thin.

Pictures are always hard to tell by but that was the first thought I had also.
Looks thin to my eye too.
Ron
Posted By: CaptainGTX

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 10:41 PM

I used 1/4" 3M Scotchcal Striping Tape in reflective white for my 69 GTX. It comes in 50 ft rolls and appears identical to what vendors are selling as reproduction striping, and a lot cheaper too. Believe it also comes in red and a couple other colors.

Can't exactly vouch for its authenticity, but it looks right.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/25/14 11:03 PM

My brother sold his GTX around 1980 so the memory is old and maybe not all that reliable. But as I recall only the white was reflective. FWIW, YMMV, etc.

Robert

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 12:36 AM

Well, I know I can get either the reflective red or the solid red at my local paint jobber so I just need to know which is correct regarding size and if it was reflective or not for the red. Some say it was, others say only the white was reflective.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 02:38 AM

Pretty sure it's about 1/4 or maybe 5/16" width, definitly not 1/8" or 3/8"

From what I remember, and per the data book, only the white was reflective.

but again, my memory isn't what it used to be . and I no longer have the data books

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 03:13 AM

Quote:

but again, my memory isn't what it used to be . and I no longer have the data books

I'll measure it, I got it from a very good former vendor and it for sure was NOS
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 04:05 AM

Quote:

69 data book links:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Belvedere0005.jpg

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/imag...ts_tops0001.jpg
Posted By: 69x

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 04:07 AM

Again, the Red IS reflective and I believe its 1/4 inch wide, I can check later in the week if someone else cannot confirm the width.

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 05:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

69 data book links:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Belvedere0005.jpg

Funny because you can read that a few ways; If it read; "red reflective and white reflective tape stripe" it would be clear. But when you don't have the word reflective twice

I think both are reflective but it certainly is not very clear to a jury or without reasonable doubt.........I rest my case...of beer.

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 09:12 AM

Quote:

WINNER! 1/4" This is NOS right Bill? This is the stripe you sent me in the original boxes.

Attached picture 8053387-IMG_6609rss.jpg

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 02:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

69 data book links:

Funny because you can read that a few ways; If it read; "red reflective and white reflective tape stripe" it would be clear. But when you don't have the word reflective twice

I think both are reflective but it certainly is not very clear to a jury or without reasonable doubt.........I rest my case...of beer.

A12,

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read it. Meaning it could be a red stripe or a white reflective stripe in the one page and the other page could be red or a white only, reflective.

Thanks for the measurement of the thickness of the stripe. Also for showing the correct positioning space wise under the molding.

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 08:29 PM

Quote:

WINNER! 1/4" This is NOS right Bill? This is the stripe you sent me in the original boxes.

Guarenteed 100% real deal. when I got them I was suprised they were still avail thru mopar at the time.

Brian,
as far as exact placement below the mldg, I doubt all were exactly the same ( remember, they were put on by humans )

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/26/14 09:07 PM

Very true Bill. I would assume that there is some kind general measurement that would have been somewhat adhered to. The picture looks like it is about half an inch from the bottom edge of the molding to the top edge of the stripe.

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/27/14 03:02 AM

Quote:

Very true Bill. I would assume that there is some kind general measurement that would have been somewhat adhered to. The picture looks like it is about half an inch from the bottom edge of the molding to the top edge of the stripe.

Very true.

Back when I bought my former 4 spd car I got one of the original fenders with the deal ( rusty but original paint)
Thats what I used as a guide on both my former cars. I want to say it was closer to a 1" than it was to a half inch

That fender went in the trash years ago. and I have NO idea what happend to the printed picture I took of it( pre digital camera days )

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/27/14 04:48 AM

Ok, when I talked to Dad today he said that the pin striping on the car is about an inch down but certainly more than a 1/2".

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 02/27/14 06:43 AM

Quote:

Ok, when I talked to Dad today he said that the pin striping on the car is about an inch down but certainly more than a 1/2".

This is my GTX when I got it from the second owner. Still all original except for the battery and a host of "stop by the auto parts and get a radiator hose and spark plugs....etc" The tires are the original '70's style BFG T/A tread. There's the original reflective white stripe and the distance from the trim. Measurements were taken and I'm pretty sure they are close to where they were original....the photo of the NOS stripe on the car is what I will use again if I ever stripe a GTX again.

Attached picture 8054447-41_1.jpg

Re: 69 GTX pin stripe question - 03/05/14 07:42 PM

Just curious but is the white reflective striping more of a light silver color when it is reflecting? Turns out ours had white on it as I have found some pieces. Only reason why I am asking is I have found Scotchcal in reflective white/silver.
© 2024 Moparts Forums