Moparts

Restore dual snorkel air cleaner

Posted By: v8punch

Restore dual snorkel air cleaner - 02/19/14 03:12 AM

Guys, I'll repaint a 1971 challenger dual snorkel air cleaner and rave some questions.
Is it texturized outside, inside and underside?
Is it mat black or semi gloss black?
Let me know Asap, Im rush on it.
Hi-res pics will be apreciated.

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Restore dual snorkel air cleaner - 02/19/14 03:15 AM

Inside is smooth gloss black, outside is wrinkle finish.
Posted By: GardnersGotCudas

Re: Restore dual snorkel air cleaner - 02/19/14 03:21 AM

what s the best paint to use on the out side
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Restore dual snorkel air cleaner - 02/19/14 03:28 AM

Try VHT black Wrinkle, or Harley Davidson Wrinkle (Harley dealers carry it). Either works great......The application is the tricky part, definitely takes some practice to get a nice even wrinkle finish without sags and runs, especially on vertical surfaces. Start with extremely clean bare steel and skip the primer, go right to paint. Pre heat the parts to about 150 with a heat gun (or best, in an oven) and remember, keep it clean from grease etc. Apply in three even coats spaced about 10 minutes apart.
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Restore dual snorkel air cleaner - 02/19/14 05:29 AM

had mine powder coated..while not 100% conours exact it was 15 yrs ago so maybe they have a closer texture now.. looks brand new still..
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Restore dual snorkel air cleaner - 02/19/14 05:33 AM

My car is in storage right now so I can't get a pic. I have a 71 bee same aircleaner and Scott is CORRECT smooth inside wrinkle out. I will try and search my records of what I used and get back to you. First one that I ever did and it came out great. I wills see what I can find for you tomorrow.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Restore dual snorkel air cleaner - 02/19/14 06:10 AM

"Try VHT black Wrinkle, or Harley Davidson Wrinkle (Harley dealers carry it)."

My :two cents:

Stick with the VHT Wrinkle Black .... The Harley Davidson paint is ( I M H O ) "NFG" ..
Posted By: v8punch

Re: Restore dual snorkel air cleaner - 02/19/14 02:11 PM

Thank's Guys, unfortunaly I'm far from Usa and VHT and HD cans are not options.
I'll send the filter to na eletrostatic paint shop, and paint it black wrinkle outside, and black inside.
© 2024 Moparts Forums