Moparts

Heater box restoration

Posted By: 69Boss302

Heater box restoration - 02/12/14 07:17 AM

Can anyone recommend someone that restores heater boxes? Working on a 69 Coronet if that matters. Thanks
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/12/14 03:20 PM

Its not that difficult...and the kits are available..
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/12/14 03:31 PM

I did my A body non-AC heater box. Pretty easy. I would recommend Detroit Muscle Technologies rebuild kit. I'm not sure what body style you have but I'm sure there are threads on Moparts to help you out.
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/12/14 04:14 PM

I did mine, not hard, get DMT's kit - it has everything you need - my biggest problem was the replacement heater core wouldn't fit...I had to grind down the surrounding flange/border to fit inside the box
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/12/14 05:18 PM

The Non A/C boxes are one of the easiest boxes to do. The A/C one of the hardest - just need to take a bunch of reference picture while taking it apart.
Posted By: citadel

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/16/14 06:55 AM

the Heater Box Guy-- did great with mine
Posted By: 69Boss302

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/16/14 07:29 AM

Since I have obviously never heard of the Heater Box Guy, how would someone get a hold of him?
Posted By: pro-streeter

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/16/14 07:40 AM

Here you go!
http://theheaterboxguy.com/

SMS Mopar does them too.
http://www.smsmopar.com/
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/16/14 04:49 PM

Ok,
I'll throw my name in the hat .
This is one I did for a customers Superbird last year.

Costs vary on the level in which the customer wants in a completed product.

On this one, every bracket was removed and replated, all new correct tube rivets, recored original core.

I agree they are not a real hard job to do if your just cleaning, replacing gaskets and re-assembling.

It's when you get into removing - replacing all the clips, brackets and metal tabs is when it gets extremely time consuming. Most that I've seen in person ( at shows ) are just dis-assemble, cleaned - media blast and clear over everything. Install an aftermkt core and put it back together.
Don't get me wrong, they still look nice,,,,just not right.

IMO,, The best at that them and set the bar I try to achieve was Jules D'Addio. But sadly he is no longer an option

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.447154062010317.104224.408528952539495&type=1
Posted By: 1970_EK2AAR

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/16/14 10:15 PM

Here is a sample photo of one I recently delivered to a customer. Premium Interior Restorations. PM for pricing, details and additional photos. Thanks, Mike.

Attached picture 8041817-20130602_111111_zps32d4d50e.jpg
Posted By: pro-streeter

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/16/14 10:30 PM

Looks like we have several very good correct restoration choices. Nice attention to detail in the photos supplied. I my self have done both A/C and Non A/C. Mine however are more clean up glass bead painted items only and reassemble. I like to try to save the original finishes with products like Rust Rescue or vinegar and water solution followed by a baking soda rinse. Still look good after cleaning however not that fresh just completed factory look.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/17/14 12:07 AM

Quote:

Looks like we have several very good correct restoration choices. Nice attention to detail in the photos supplied. I my self have done both A/C and Non A/C. Mine however are more clean up glass bead painted items only and reassemble. I like to try to save the original finishes with products like Rust Rescue or vinegar and water solution followed by a baking soda rinse. Still look good after cleaning however not that fresh just completed factory look.

Don't see why your's should look much different than the paid to restored ones. Not brain surgery.
Posted By: macmic87

Re: Heater box restoration - 02/17/14 05:23 AM

have done a few myself. if you do the job yourself just make sure you buy your gasket kit from http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/. top notch quality.
© 2024 Moparts Forums