Moparts

secure sideview mirror

Posted By: mkdart

secure sideview mirror - 02/08/14 11:58 PM

Every time I mash the go pedal or slam the door, I have to
readjust the side view mirror. Anybody nave any tips?
It pivots on the ball and socket. Thanks Mike
Posted By: topside

Re: secure sideview mirror - 02/09/14 03:58 AM

That's more common with the rearview mirror (interior). Based on that, if you can get access to the tensioning clip that secures the ball, bend it so that it's a tighter fit. You'll have to remove the mirror and look up inside the pedestal, and in all honesty, I don't recall if the ball/tensioner are visible or accessible. You may need to replace the mirror.
I suppose there's some way to "cheat it" but it would be visible.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: secure sideview mirror - 02/09/14 04:21 AM

If you can get to the ball, try putting super glue on it.
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: secure sideview mirror - 02/09/14 04:42 AM

Quote:

If you can get to the ball, try putting super glue on it.

Then you won't be able to make ANY adjustment.

I guessing your talking about the passenger side mirror? If so there's a strap that holds tension on a ball by two mushroomed studs. Grind the studs off, drill and tap the hole center and replace with screws. This allows you to adjust the tent ion you want on the mirror. I generally use loctite on the screw to ensure it doesn't back out and loose tension.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: secure sideview mirror - 02/09/14 05:10 AM

From what I read that super glue doesn't weld it together, it just ads friction to hold it in place.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: secure sideview mirror - 02/09/14 03:19 PM

If you have a chrome one then it is not too bad. Remove the mirror and place in a shallow pan of Lacquer Thinner for about 24-36 hours until the glass drops away. Follow the instructions above to modify the tension mechanism then glue the glass back in with some strong construction adhesive - set for a day then reinstall on the car. I had the same thing going on with my Road Runner and now my mirror is nice and firm. If your mirror is painted then you have more choices but not good ones... Same step as above then repaint or break the mirror and buy new glass.

Good Luck
Posted By: mkdart

Re: secure sideview mirror - 02/09/14 06:41 PM

Thanks guys!
© 2024 Moparts Forums