Moparts

proper water pump housing plug

Posted By: hemi68charger

proper water pump housing plug - 02/07/14 02:28 PM

Hey gang..

Looking for a source for the proper plug that goes into the water pump housing on a '69 big block ( my case 426 Hemi, but it should be the same on any housing in that year, if not more years ). This is the plug that people usually take out if they are going to put a mechanical temperature gauge in, in between the two heater hose nipples. I believe the style was flush with the housing with an allen stock recessed hole for tightening.

Thanks.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: proper water pump housing plug - 02/07/14 06:02 PM

Might have been a 1/2" square head if my memory is still functioning??
Joe
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: proper water pump housing plug - 02/07/14 06:42 PM

Quote:

Might have been a 1/2" square head if my memory is still functioning??
Joe

correct , SQUARE head , not an Allen head
Posted By: 68gtx

Re: proper water pump housing plug - 02/07/14 07:29 PM

Not to rob your thread but I am looking for the same plug. I think mine measures 3/4 ? Anyone have pics of an original for reference? Thanks larry J
Posted By: HPMike

Re: proper water pump housing plug - 02/08/14 01:31 AM

Quote:

Not to rob your thread but I am looking for the same plug. I think mine measures 3/4 ? Anyone have pics of an original for reference? Thanks larry J

Its 1/2" NPT...Female square drive...Ill see if I have a pic..

MB
Posted By: srt

Re: proper water pump housing plug - 02/08/14 01:40 AM

It is basically this plug, BUT there is no concave on the top around the square opening. To be correct this plug could be machined flat and the top thread edges tapered down, then I believe plated zinc, and painted with the housing orange.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: proper water pump housing plug - 02/08/14 01:52 AM

Would this be like it?

I notice it isn't concaved.....

Posted By: srt

Re: proper water pump housing plug - 02/08/14 02:04 AM

that'd be the one.
wouldn't know if the plug or socket depth is the same, but could compare notes if you source one.
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: proper water pump housing plug - 02/08/14 02:54 AM

A local parts store carries the correct looking plugs in aluminum and steel from 1/8 to 1/2" pipe thread. I believe it's Parts Plus
© 2024 Moparts Forums