Moparts

Putty for door panel plastic sheeting

Posted By: 1964superstock

Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/23/14 03:13 AM

What type of putty is used to hold the clear plastic sheeting to the door sheet metal and quarter window area?

Also, how thick of plastic sheeting is correct?

A good suggested supplier of both would be appreciated.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/23/14 03:26 AM

Butyl can be used, but the easiest way is 3M spray adhesive, just give the door frame a light coat and stick the plastic to it. I used heave plastic from the hard wear store, and cut it to size.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/23/14 08:16 AM

The factory used rope caulk for the plastic, plastic is thick like 5 mil. Somebody repos the plastic kits, maybe Detroit Muscle Car Tech.
Posted By: pattyboy 572

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/23/14 02:43 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290950111648?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 here it is....pat
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/23/14 11:18 PM

I'd be interested in get old sets of these if anyone has any. I don't make them but would do my best to make them as accurately as possible.
I know most people just threw them out so they aren't very easy to find.
Posted By: OLD318

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/26/14 12:41 AM

You can buy a thicker, almost crystal clear plastic from Joanne's fabric store
that you can cut to fit all the doors/qtr windows for about $10.00...

It will do everything for you that the repro "kit" will for
less than a quarter of the cost.

The vinyl they sell is actually thicker than the original material, very easy to cut, and looks better IMHO.... The original material reminds me of a thick opaque plastic trash bag material...

As far as duplicating the butyl tape...
If you absolutely have to have this, you can use a line of white
auto body sealant that you can get for about $12.00 a tube and can
use from a regular caulk gun...

OR, use the can of spray adhesive ($5-$6) like suggested above...
I personally like the spray adhesive better.... but that's a personal perference...

Just my 2

Best of luck to all...
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/26/14 04:40 AM

Not sure what year they started it but some of the factory strip caulk {dum-dum as some call it}I've run into has a backer{wire or thin rope} in it to keep it from stretching too far...I prefer the factory style caulk over glue in case you ever need back in there...
Posted By: slimert

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/26/14 04:46 PM

I used a product that 3M made. Came in a flat box, you would pull 1/4" x 10" strips of white rope caulk 'dum-dum'. Reused most of the factory rope caulk. Not really sure what's correct, looked like the passenger door on the had spray on adhesive from the factory and the other 3 panels had white rope caulk.

Attached picture 8012283-doorplasticwithsprayedadhesive.jpg
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/26/14 09:45 PM

"MoreTite" is the brand my Dad used back in the day. I was happy to find it still available at my local Ace Hardware store when I needed some for the same application as you.

Sticks nicely to the sheet metal. Holds but also releases the plastic cleanly when you need to open it up.

- Art
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 01/26/14 11:15 PM

3M ribbon weld (wound ribbon sealer) come's in different diameters

I have gotten it at Advance Auto and Summit Racing

The only caution is I have NEVER had to go back in a door I have used it on so I don't know how it releases
Posted By: beepilot

Re: Putty for door panel plastic sheeting - 02/03/14 12:44 AM

When I restored my 71 Bee about 10 years ago I used plumbers mastic or whatever it was called.... It seemed about the same color and texture as what I scraped off. It can rolled and shaped as necessary. And for the plastic I used vapor barrier from any local building supply store. I didn't really know how the plumbers mastic was going to work out, but I had the panels off recently and I was pleased it held up nicely, I could peel the plastic off and reapply.
© 2024 Moparts Forums