Moparts

black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update

Posted By: mozz at rpm

black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/14/14 04:06 PM

I came across an earlier thread (July 2010) on this gorgeous motor and thought I'd provide an update. My brother (Martin Savill at Rare Performance Motors)maintains this car for a well known collector and it's being well looked after and is in very good company. The car recently featured in the November 2013 issue of Classic and Sports Car magazine with a '69 A12 Road Runner (also from the collection)and I've attached a picture from that session at the Santa Pod drag strip (thanks to James Mann for the photos). This is where the car looks at it's best - on the strip. We are very interested in the early history of the car - particularly from the John Gerreck Jr days. I look after the RPM website (www.rareperformancemotors.com)for my brother.

Attached picture 7997256-MoparatSantaPod2013_2.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/14/14 04:09 PM

Another photo from the Santa Pod session.

Attached picture 7997257-MoparatSantaPod2013_4.jpg
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/14/14 04:54 PM

Veery Veeery COOL
Posted By: HPMike

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/14/14 05:16 PM

Quote:

Veery Veeery COOL

YES!!!!

Miss that beast around here..

MB

Attached picture 7997317-petex9BEE@.jpg
Posted By: badsixpack

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/14/14 11:45 PM

Yeah mike I sure do miss that black super bee, it seems like a long time ago since we restored that beast don't it. I know one thing who ever owns it got the best there is, everything in it is the best money could buy. I guess he must have figured out by now she don't like unleaded gas.

Attached picture 7997811-rrxx9bee.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 01:01 AM

Still remember the day I found that car in Ohio. Wish I had the money back then. Car is as good as it gets in an A12.
Posted By: A12

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 01:02 AM

The only thing I can find as a bright spot in this story is that the Bee seems to have gone to a good home....a too far away home but at least a good home............the rest of the story well for me at least

Those are the two "Poster Child" cars of the muscle car era bar none
Posted By: topside

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 01:17 AM

Both of those cars look about as sinister as it gets. The black coupe thing + A12 + black wheels = kick-butt-menacing.
And then bonus points for no stripes...

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 01:23 AM

600+++ HP through the manifolds...

Attached picture 7997978-111(Medium)(2).jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 01:42 AM

Quote:

Both of those cars look about as sinister as it gets. The black coupe thing + A12 + black wheels = kick-butt-menacing.

Yeah and that's the way they looked on the dealership showroom floor back then not "day-two". Can't think of another production car that can say that from back then. If you gave one hundred people a bumper sticker that read MUSCLE CAR and had twenty showroom stock cars from that model year and asked them to place it on the bumper of the car it belongs, pretty sure there would be no room left for a lot of the stickers

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 01:45 AM

Quote:

600+++ HP through the manifolds...

WOW that is sooooooo NICE
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 01:52 AM

Quote:

Just needs a red interior and stripe like the car out of North Texas............
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 03:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Veery Veeery COOL

YES!!!!

MB

I know what you mean...miss mine too!

Attached picture 7998184-X9atOD1974.jpg
Posted By: mopar346

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 03:31 AM

Simply AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for sharing
Posted By: demon440

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 04:10 AM

There is a place in Ohio (parma) that is called
Trans by Bruce, is this where the title comes from?

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 05:13 AM

Quote:

I don't know but this how the car looked before I restored it

Attached picture 7998376-X9BEESIDE.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 07:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I took that picture back in 06 right after we got the car back to the shop here in MI.

That car was found in Ohio under a cover in a beat up garage. The guy who owned it had owned it since 71 if I remember correctly. I went to his house to buy a 70 Dart Swinger project and a 426 hemi block when I noticed the shape of an A12 car under a cover in his garage. My jaw hit the floor when he pulled it back and I saw an original paint black A12 Bee. His wife had taken a baseball bat to the windows, headlights roof and fenders back in the 90's and the guy hadnt touched it since then. There was still broken glass on the ground. Apparently his old lady had a problem with the bottle and thought he was cheating on her and took it out on the Bee. Interesting sight to say the least.
Posted By: drmopar

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 11:30 AM

My brother and the bee

Attached picture 7998635-231050_1093060934013_5581554_n.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 01:33 PM

Yet another photo from the Santa Pod session.

Attached picture 7998654-MoparatSantaPod2013_5.jpg
Posted By: 66littlebigmopar

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 02:23 PM

Yeah i remember that car from 20-25 years ago. Trans by Bruce is still in business, but in the sixties and seventies cars up here had Trans by Bruce, Gellner Engineering or Plain Brothers lettering and painted up with the crazy paint jobs by Nolan Brothers.

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 02:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I took that picture back in 06 right after we got the car back to the shop here in MI.

That car was found in Ohio under a cover in a beat up garage. The guy who owned it had owned it since 71 if I remember correctly. I went to his house to buy a 70 Dart Swinger project and a 426 hemi block when I noticed the shape of an A12 car under a cover in his garage. My jaw hit the floor when he pulled it back and I saw an original paint black A12 Bee. His wife had taken a baseball bat to the windows, headlights roof and fenders back in the 90's and the guy hadnt touched it since then. There was still broken glass on the ground. Apparently his old lady had a problem with the bottle and thought he was cheating on her and took it out on the Bee. Interesting sight to say the least.

well that explains the dents all over the car when I bought it. If not for all the little dents I never would have done a complete restoration. It was an original painted car that spent almost all it's life on the race track. When Rob brought the car to me in NY the original block was in the trunk. We could have just did the motor, and painted the engine compartment, but the body had been all dinged up. what a shame..

Attached picture 7998676-superbeerightrearpaint.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 02:58 PM

So Mozz, Now that she has had her little toes on the drag strip how did she run?

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 03:49 PM

Quote:

So Mozz, Now that she has had her little toes on the drag strip how did she run?

I hope it ran good out there.....With all that went into that pkg, and knowing what the others have run, I KNOW it could go very deep into the elevens..a ten second pass out here in good air wouldnt surprise me at all..

Saying that, you know better than anyone, Tommy....The nut behind the wheel is more responsible for whether one of those bias tired, high powered cars is a stud or a dud

MB

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 04:03 PM

Found a few more pics..

Attached picture 7998730-a12_site_2_001(Medium).jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 04:11 PM

nuther...now back to work..Thanks for sharing, Mozz..

Attached picture 7998738-a12beepete(Medium).jpg
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 04:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just needs a red interior and stripe like the car out of North Texas............

The black car out of Texas was a 4 speed hardtop. I bought it out of Monroe Louisiana but the car was sold new in the Houston area. I live outside Ft. Worth TX. Anyone know where the Tx Black Bee is? Any recent pictures.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 04:46 PM

Quote:

The black car out of Texas was a 4 speed hardtop. I bought it out of Monroe Louisiana but the car was sold new in the Houston area. I live outside Ft. Worth TX. Anyone know where the Tx Black Bee is? Any recent pictures.

Same car that was sold out of Missouri about 7 years ago?
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 04:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Life is full of "What if's", but that one haunts me to this day! I had a few conversations with you about that car, but the timing wasn't right for me.........

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 05:16 PM

Unfortunately they didn't have the timing gear set-up when the photo-shoot happened, however we'll be having a proper go (with timing)hopefully this summer - we'll keep you posted! In the mean time another photo from Santa Pod.

Attached picture 7998793-MoparatSantaPod2013_3.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 05:18 PM

Nice looking under the hood too!

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 05:46 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately they didn't have the timing gear set-up when the photo-shoot happened, however we'll be having a proper go (with timing)hopefully this summer - we'll keep you posted! In the mean time another photo from Santa Pod.

Just be careful...as you know..its the original motor..

MB

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 05:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Same car that was sold out of Missouri about 7 years ago?

Yes Dave, same car. The only black red interior red stripe a12 car that I know of. 4 speed and hardtop too boot. Even though it was rough around the edges I consider it top of the pile in the a12 bee's. You know where it is now?

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Life is full of "What if's", but that one haunts me to this day! I had a few conversations with you about that car, but the timing wasn't right for me.........

You probably spoke with Rich, I sold it to him and it went from him to Missouri. I lost track of it when it left Missouri. Rich lives north of Dallas. I have several of those woulda coulda shoulda stories. Oh well. Lol

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 06:05 PM

I love the black bee posted here. My favorite a12's are the coupe auto bench seat cars. I would put a stock rebuild on that original block and set it aside. Then build another engine for the car and run the wheels off of it. Lol

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 06:20 PM

You mean the dragstrip was staged?

I feel so cheated

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/15/14 06:23 PM

Quote:

Yes Dave, same car. The only black red interior red stripe a12 car that I know of. 4 speed and hardtop too boot. Even though it was rough around the edges I consider it top of the pile in the a12 bee's. You know where it is now?

I've yet to document another one that's the same.
Lost track of it after the sale.

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 12:15 AM

That black/red bee is being restored

Attached picture 7999124-blackandredbee.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 12:50 AM

Looks like she is living in Arizona. She' s used to the heat. Funny thing when I met Galin glovier in the mid 90's he said there were no black a12 bees built. I told him I owned one and I know it's real. Then he wanted a tag rubbing. Lol I passed.
Posted By: Mopar.70

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 01:09 AM

I'm curious to know the production numbers for black A12's. A family member bought a Road Runner A12, black 4 speed (hardtop I believe) new back in the day. Few years ago sold the car with 4,5xx original miles. Was tuff time. We believed there were only 2 with the same combo. But maybe there was more?
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 01:24 AM

Quote:

I'm curious to know the production numbers for black A12's. A family member bought a Road Runner A12, black 4 speed (hardtop I believe) new back in the day. Few years ago sold the car with 4,5xx original miles. Was tuff time. We believed there were only 2 with the same combo. But maybe there was more?

I am fairly certain the Roadrunner you see here is from Ohio and had 5K miles on it. A race car all it's life.

Unless two Black ones went over there?

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 01:31 AM

It was a race car all its life. Just wasn't cut up. So the Ohio low mileage car was in the shoot with this bee? I have several memories of this car...others in the family older than I have many more!

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 01:44 AM

Quote:

It was a race car all its life. Just wasn't cut up. So the Ohio low mileage car was in the shoot with this bee? I have several memories of this car...others in the family older than I have many more!

Unless two of them went to England? That is the car.
Posted By: 69RTSE

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 04:23 AM

I used to work with John, the Ohio owner. Nice guy, used to see him at Norwalk and dragway 42 in the 90's with the car...always one of my favorites...

Attached picture 7999409-69Beeresized.jpg
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 07:55 AM

Mopar 70 what was the interior color on the Black A12 RR you are talking about??
David

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 10:22 AM

Hey Ed and Pete, picked this one up over the summer. X9 buckets console like your car.

Attached picture 7999691-2013-09-14951795479520.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 12:25 PM

Quote:

Mopar 70 what was the interior color on the Black A12 RR you are talking about??
David

Black

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 12:44 PM

The reason I asked was there was a black A12 with a pewter interior that sold a few years ago. Just wondering if it was the same one.

Dr. Mopar your A12 looked better with the other rims on it. It still Looks Good but I liked it better with the Mags on it. BUT it isn't my car so it is just my opinion.
Later David

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 02:51 PM

Quote:

I'm curious to know the production numbers for black A12's.

This is my A12 spreadsheet. Cars that have surfaced so far. Click on attachment for full size view.

Attached picture 7999734-A12_spreadsheet_8-13-13_2.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 03:05 PM

There might be some confusion here about the A12 Road Runner featured in the pictures from Santa Pod. There are two A12 Road Runners in the collection - the Ohio car (RM23) is currently in storage in the States. The car featured in the photo-shoot came over to England in late 99/early 2000s (Vin RM21M9A294936)and has been restored back to original. We would very much appreciate any information/history on either of these cars. This picture is of the RM21 at the RPM workshop in England.

Attached picture 7999740-69A12RoadRunnerRM21RPMworkshop.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 03:05 PM

Quote:

The reason I asked was there was a black A12 with a pewter interior that sold a few years ago. Just wondering if it was the same one.

There was an original owner Road Runner, hardtop, black with Platinum bench seat that sold out of Ohio not too long ago, it was an early build car.
Also a black hardtop Road Runner 4-speed with Platinum buckets that is/was in Florida.
There is another black Road Runner with Platinum interior and white top out of Georgia, but I've yet to find any data on it.

On a side note, of the 6 black Bee's known:
2 are coupes with black bench, column auto.
3 are hardtops with black bench, 4-speed.
1 is the hardtop with red bench, 4-speed.

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 03:11 PM

And this is a photo of the Ohio ex racer Road Runner that you refer to, as I say currently in storage. We really would appreciate any history on either of these wondrous beasts.

Attached picture 7999745-1969PlymouthRoadrunnerA12small.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 09:45 PM

Quote:

I used to work with John, the Ohio owner. Nice guy, used to see him at Norwalk and dragway 42 in the 90's with the car...always one of my favorites...

Rich , when was that picture taken ? I have always felt that car had the wrong Bee on it when it got dragged out of that Ohio garage ... unless it had red on one side and white on the other ? Black on black should have had white and there is no real way of telling unless it is scratched on the broadcast sheet I believe ?
Posted By: 69RTSE

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rich , when was that picture taken ? I have always felt that car had the wrong Bee on it when it got dragged out of that Ohio garage ... unless it had red on one side and white on the other ? Black on black should have had white and there is no real way of telling unless it is scratched on the broadcast sheet I believe ?

John, not sure when it was taken, but would guess mid 80's maybe? When I saw the car in the mid 90's it had the white bee on both sides. I believe when the car was restored, it was changed to red?
Posted By: GOLDMYN

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/16/14 11:18 PM

A little bit OT, but is there something unique to the A12 Superbees front suspension. The reason I ask, there is a guy in my town with a black 69 Bee and he says its an A12 because of the front-end?

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 12:18 AM

Quote:

A little bit OT, but is there something unique to the A12 Superbees front suspension. The reason I ask, there is a guy in my town with a black 69 Bee and he says its an A12 because of the front-end?

Well there are just a couple of things that most all A12's seem to have but they are also available on Hemi B-bodies and come with axle packages and one small thing to do with the LCA that is a small "telltale" that A12 owners tend to keep in their pocket But I don't see how anyone could see any differences without crawling under the car or being run over by it

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 12:43 AM

Quote:

And this is a photo of the Ohio ex racer Road Runner that you refer to, as I say currently in storage. We really would appreciate any history on either of these wondrous beasts.

mozz

I was not sure if there where two car? I only know of the Ohio car as I was told I could purchase it. Very nice car!

I do believe you guys have a 71 Six Pack Cuda I owned? I did make copies of all the original paper work if you did not receive it with the car. If not please let me know.

Ed

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 04:04 AM

As far I know everything that was related to the car went with it. We had met with the 2nd owner and he I believe was given some photos, maybe a copy of a video.

Thanks for the production numbers, neat info!

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 04:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When I bought the car it had orig paint and the bee logo was white. I decided on the red bee when the resto was finished. I just like the way it looks with the redlines and the red sixpack decal on the hood.

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 07:46 AM

Ed do you have or did you buy the Black A12 RR that Dr. Mopar had at the reunion?? I know you had the one that was raced in the FAST series but I thought you got the one from Dr. Mopar in Mi with original paint I believe.
Just wondering if you still have a black A12 RR.
David
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 10:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John, not sure when it was taken, but would guess mid 80's maybe? When I saw the car in the mid 90's it had the white bee on both sides. I believe when the car was restored, it was changed to red?

I just went back and looked at the picture Pete put up in he condition when he had it, the red of the reflector for some reason made me think it had a red bee logo, it's actually white, the glare from the flash is playing tricks with my old eyes ... and memory, I could have sworn it had red ones way back??

Sorry for the confusion , I like them all black with white , but I'm biased.

I wish I could have purchased that car, to me it is the BEST Mopar to have ever rolledd off the line at Lynch Rd.

Attached picture 8000927-bee.jpg

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 11:17 AM

Quote:

Dr. Mopar your A12 looked better with the other rims on it. It still Looks Good but I liked it better with the Mags on it. BUT it isn't my car so it is just my opinion.
Later David

Ill sell you the wheels if you like them! They are just sitting in the garage.

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 11:19 AM

Quote:

Ed do you have or did you buy the Black A12 RR that Dr. Mopar had at the reunion?? I know you had the one that was raced in the FAST series but I thought you got the one from Dr. Mopar in Mi with original paint I believe.
Just wondering if you still have a black A12 RR.
David

Ed sold it to a collector in Ohio who then sold it to someone on the east coast from what I was told. The car is in Michigan still completing a full blown rotisserie restoration.

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/17/14 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rich , when was that picture taken ? I have always felt that car had the wrong Bee on it when it got dragged out of that Ohio garage ... unless it had red on one side and white on the other ? Black on black should have had white and there is no real way of telling unless it is scratched on the broadcast sheet I believe ? [/quote

I just went back and looked at the picture Pete put up in he condition when he had it, the red of the reflector for some reason made me think it had a red bee logo, it's actually white, the glare from the flash is playing tricks with my old eyes ... and memory, I could have sworn it had red ones way back??

Sorry for the confusion , I like them all black with white , but I'm biased.

I wish I could have purchased that car, to me it is the BEST Mopar to have ever rolledd off the line at Lynch Rd.

I AGREE.
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 01/19/14 07:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Veery Veeery COOL

YES!!!!

MB

Is that how mines gonna run Mike?

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 04/20/14 01:44 PM

Ed - here's the 71 Six Pack Cuda you once owned - car of the month on my brother's website this month , a lovely car to say the least. Rare Performance Motors Mozz
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: black A12 bee "trans by Bruce" - update - 04/20/14 03:36 PM

I drove past "Transmissions by Bruce" yesterday and it made me think of this thread. What an interesting read it has been.
© 2024 Moparts Forums