Moparts

Tail light restoraton

Posted By: dustyswinger

Tail light restoraton - 01/05/14 01:22 AM

I am begining to restore a pair of 72 Charger rallye tail lights and was wondering what you guys have uesd to replace he lamp sockets. I need 4 1157 sockets for the brake/turn and a pair for 1156 reverse lights. I took out the bad sockets and there is a .750 hole in the housings now. I have seen where people have cut them up and put the newer push in and turn style but am looking for something to just go in the hole..
Next question is what color paint do you use for the housings for the bulbs to reflect off of? Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Tail light restoraton - 01/06/14 12:28 AM

Great question.
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: Tail light restoraton - 01/06/14 06:38 AM

I can't tell you about the harness, but I used spray chrome for the inside of the housing on my 68 road runner. Turned out real nice (more silver than chrome).
Posted By: burdar

Re: Tail light restoraton - 01/06/14 05:51 PM

Try "Terminal Supply Co" for the sockets. I also used spray paint "chrome" for the insides of the housing.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Tail light restoraton - 01/06/14 06:29 PM

3rd vote for spray chrome in a can. Even in twilight they look pretty bright...just make sure you have a good ground.

Attached picture 7987416-DCP02775.JPG
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Tail light restoraton - 01/06/14 06:40 PM

Quote:

I am begining to restore a pair of 72 Charger rallye tail lights and was wondering what you guys have uesd to replace he lamp sockets. I need 4 1157 sockets for the brake/turn and a pair for 1156 reverse lights. I took out the bad sockets and there is a .750 hole in the housings now. I have seen where people have cut them up and put the newer push in and turn style but am looking for something to just go in the hole..
Next question is what color paint do you use for the housings for the bulbs to reflect off of? Thanks for your help.

This was a while ago, so there may be other options now...

On a '71 Ply, I used Ford tailight sockets...Di-chromate sockets with a rubber 'shroud' to protect wire-at-socket from the 'elements'...

20 years later, they're doing fine...

Much better set-up than OEM...

(I also sprayed 'chrome' inside the housings)...
Posted By: floridian

Re: Tail light restoraton - 01/06/14 07:30 PM

Eastwood company has a specific paint to use for this.. Worked great on my car..

Attached picture 7987497-5554552-vertbaseball2.jpg
Posted By: dustyswinger

Re: Tail light restoraton - 01/11/14 07:48 AM

Thank you for the replies. I went to O'reilly's and found a couple sockets that fit the .750 opening. I haven't had the time to fit them yet but I think they will work just fine.I will try to clean the reflective surface up but if they ar not up to snuff I will use the paint. Thanks again Craig
© 2024 Moparts Forums