Moparts

Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas

Posted By: 68GTSHCODE

Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 04:50 AM

Anyone know the proper color for the areas behind the grill......radiator support etc...same color as body?

Attached picture 7963611-photo1.JPG
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 05:45 AM

any colors other than black, dark blue and maybe dark green had to be blacked out with flat or semi gloss black. Chrysler didn't want color showing through the grilles.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 03:31 PM

Seen and have black-out on every color....even on a black car....F8, purple etc. I would put it on regardless of color.....unless the car that shows no factory black-out is a good condition, un-screwed with piece with totally original paint. The black-out is 33-40% flattened black. Lots of posts on here about it.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 03:42 PM

I think it depends on the car, and year. I have a yellow 69 Coronet that is not blacked out. Yes it's a 4 door, but it also is the 440 trim level, which is a higher trim level.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 04:48 PM

My AAR

Attached picture 7963961-blackout015.jpg

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 04:54 PM

I have 2 Coronet parts cars, a white 69 500 with very little black out and a kinda T3 68 440 that is very heavily blacked out. Pictures to big to load.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 06:03 PM

Here is a shot of the black out on a 50,000 mile untouched 69 runner. As you can see not as much paint as most people use in their restorations. Each car is different so you need to try to match what you find on your particular car.

Attached picture 7964023-Photo115.jpg
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 06:06 PM

Quote:

Seen and have black-out on every color....even on a black car....F8, purple etc. I would put it on regardless of color.....unless the car that shows no factory black-out is a good condition, un-screwed with piece with totally original paint. The black-out is 33-40% flattened black. Lots of posts on here about it.

Dave
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 07:23 PM

Go buy a can of this, I think it's just right color wise.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/19/13 10:30 PM

Semi-Flat
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/20/13 08:00 AM

Don't be too neat or thorough. Sloppiness and bare places is more authentic.

Attached picture 7964926-23-8RRadiatorYoke.jpg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/20/13 08:21 AM

I have seen a 2000 mile original black Dart GTS with NO blackout and a 23K mile original B7 GTS with no blackout! Do NOT think that because other body styles have blackout on every color that a Dart does too...
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/20/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

I have seen a 2000 mile original black Dart GTS with NO blackout and a 23K mile original B7 GTS with no blackout! Do NOT think that because other body styles have blackout on every color that a Dart does too...

My all original B7 Swinger 340 has black-out. I think it was hit and miss on the darker colors...just saying every car I have or have ever had has black-out

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/20/13 04:26 PM

I wouldn't really consider B7 a darker color. I don't beleive my F8 69 GTS had black out, but it had a back yard black paint job so no quarantees.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/20/13 06:03 PM

Most of us know that B7, F8, TX9...weren't SUPPOSED to get blackout and of course some didn't, BUT IMO that is the exception rather than the rule. Yes, I spend more time with B bodies than E or A but unless I had a car that I could verify as originally not having the blackout, I'd apply it. I imagine that it has more to do with the plant and the build date than it does with body style. Most of the stuff I pay close attention to came from Lynch Rd

Dave
Posted By: 68GTSHCODE

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/23/13 03:46 PM

Interesting answers all.....as very little of the "color" shows thru (the radiator dominates most of the grill opening and the rest of the drill is solid) I will most likely leave it the body color. Also it appeared Chrysler sort of "let stuff happen" during the 60-70's.

Thanks much

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/23/13 04:26 PM

Thanks for wasting our time.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/23/13 04:36 PM

Oh c'mon, we rehash this topic every 6 months or so, always an interesting read...
Posted By: Aar1064

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/23/13 11:04 PM

Pic of my currently unrestored AAR.

Attached picture 7968734-radiatorsupport.JPG
Posted By: Aar1064

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/23/13 11:10 PM

The SEM Trim paint is wonderful paint. The sheen I think is perfect and it flows out great. Saw a blue on blue AAR at NATS this year and noticed how good the black looked and asked owner what was used and it was the SEM trim black. May not be spot on as original as far as texture goes but man it looks great.........
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/23/13 11:21 PM

Quote:

Interesting answers all.....as very little of the "color" shows thru (the radiator dominates most of the grill opening and the rest of the drill is solid) I will most likely leave it the body color. Also it appeared Chrysler sort of "let stuff happen" during the 60-70's.

Thanks much

Looks bad.

Even if someone made a mistake at the factory once.

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/23/13 11:59 PM

Quote:

The SEM Trim paint is wonderful paint. The sheen I think is perfect and it flows out great. Saw a blue on blue AAR at NATS this year and noticed how good the black looked and asked owner what was used and it was the SEM trim black. May not be spot on as original as far as texture goes but man it looks great.........

Yes it is, I use it on many exterior items on cars and trucks, many items. Kind of a trade secret if you ask me.
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Proper color for radiator support & other grill areas - 12/24/13 02:45 AM

70 ebody - LA built, as you can see on mine, very little black out except on the support, a little mist on the headlight area...

Attached picture 7968966-Picture005(640x480).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums