Moparts

Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services...

Posted By: HPMike

Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 01:09 AM

Been a while...

So, I finally getting it together to freshen up my 6 pack 70 R/T...The Ramcharger box is in nice shape with nothing broken, but needs to be restored..

I know there was a guy named Russ from Michigan that was doing these some time ago, but I dont currently have his contact info-nor do I know if he is still doing these..

Anyone with any suggestions, please post..

Thanks

MB

Attached picture 7962199-lockup008(Medium).jpg
Posted By: johntpr

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 01:19 AM

http://www.restorationfullcircle.com/

Happy holidays Mike !

jta
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 04:49 AM

I have used the full circle kit works nice.
you may want to look at theramem to.
I think he will restore it for you
Posted By: Baller

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 08:14 AM

That is one sweet R/T
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 03:51 PM

great car.. yea... love the 70's
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 04:25 PM

look no further...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/AIRGRABBERRESTORATION
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 06:09 PM

Mike,

AFAIK there is not way to perfectly restore the finish of a Ramcharger box. I believe that all the restorers paint it....which is OK but not original. I'm still struggling what to do with mine as it's the last pce I have left to do. There were some posts by another member with a '70 Bee awhile back that showed some pretty nice results without going the painting route....think he use Pledge among other things. Sorry don't remember who it was.

I have the new sticker, rivits, cables, seal, clips and rubber flappers and it's easy enough to replate the brackets but I remain undecided to go original (will show some fading no matter what) or go paint (obvious on close inspection).

I look forward to seeing what you do and how it looks.

Dave
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 08:17 PM

Quote:

Mike,

AFAIK there is not way to perfectly restore the finish of a Ramcharger box. I believe that all the restorers paint it....which is OK but not original.

If it were me I would look into cleaning it the best you could then possibly hitting it with 000 steel wool to remove any stains. Then followed up by semi gloss or flat clear. Thats how heater boxes seem to turn out the best. Paint distracts from the original appearance in my opinion. Ive never seen results from the full circle kit that Ive known of.

As far as any cracks you can mix paint with resin to hide the repair the best you can. Member Quikshift (I think thats correct) did one for his car with testors paint in the resin I believe. Memory is not what it was. haha

Keep us posted Mike, as I cant wait to see it when your done!!

Scott

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 09:29 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5850340

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/18/13 09:30 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

dave

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/19/13 04:24 PM

Thanks everyone...

I didnt even bother trying to clean it, quite frankly. Maybe it will clean up real nice...The seal is mint..New clips and a new decal and maybe it will look awesome...We'll see..I have no issue in paying someone to give me a "turnkey" deal on the box..If it will look good..

For those that have interest...

The body is sweet on this car...Its never had rust issues and no panels need replacing..so thats good news...A lot of inherent holes will have to be filled..

I am currently putting the motor together...Its going to be a FAST type build that should make around 650 horse through the manifolds. I hope to be able to run into the 10's at high 120's for MPH on the F60's and through the stock exhaust manifolds...Dont worry, the original motor is going into the corner..The car will never be for sale anyway- unless you see me eating a can of beans under a train trestle somewhere...Maybe not even then..

On a seperate note...Who is the current go to guy on heater box resto?
I was going to send it to Jules..:o(

Ill keep you all posted..

MB

Attached picture 7963936-lockup001(Medium).jpg

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/19/13 06:22 PM

ooh; I have interest!

I've loved your car since I first saw it and would love to see/hear what your plans are and see some pics. As you may (or may not) remember, I built my V code Bee to be PSMCDR legal so I've had an interest in making these cars stock appearing but much quicker. While mine was far more modest, I love the cars that can look good and really run....and if anyone can do it, I know you can.

I'd strongly recommend cleaning your airbox up and seeing how it looks before embarking on the resto/painted route. Personally I prefer even a small amount of weathering/aging on an original part vs. an incorrect finish or repop though it is tough balancing that look on an otherwise completely restored car...everyone has their own idea of what they like.

Dave
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/20/13 12:54 AM

I don't think a true OE type resto is possibile.

The airbox halves are held together with tube rivets, problem is they are a split type and I am not aware of that style tube rivet being avail
( they look like a rosette once installed and not a ring like on the heater box case rivets )
Posted By: RV2

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/20/13 01:45 AM

Does the car still have Sylvester Stallone's autograph?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/20/13 04:37 PM

Quote:

The airbox halves are held together with tube rivets, problem is they are a split type and I am not aware of that style tube rivet being avail
( they look like a rosette once installed and not a ring like on the heater box case rivets )

once again, look no further...

look closely at the rivets in the restored pictures.

this is the guy that restores ramcharger and air grabber units for the top shelf resto shops out there.

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/20/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

Does the car still have Sylvester Stallone's autograph?

yep..

Attached picture 7965391-lockup006(Medium).jpg

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/20/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

once again, look no further...

look closely at the rivets in the restored pictures.

this is the guy that restores ramcharger and air grabber units for the top shelf resto shops out there.

Thanks..

Looks good.

MB
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/21/13 01:43 AM

"I am currently putting the motor together...Its going to be a FAST type build that should make around 650 horse through the manifolds. I hope to be able to run into the 10's at high 120's for MPH on the F60's and through the stock exhaust manifolds..."

What ever possessed you?

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/21/13 03:32 AM

Quote:

"I am currently putting the motor together...Its going to be a FAST type build that should make around 650 horse through the manifolds. I hope to be able to run into the 10's at high 120's for MPH on the F60's and through the stock exhaust manifolds..."

What ever possessed you?

It beats a sunburn and a debate with a mindless fool about proper date coding and plug wire routing...

Just don't go and kill the series on me before i get it done. Little birdy says my heads are killer. you want to wheel this sexy beast mr 4 speed?

MB

Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/21/13 05:14 PM

Yes... Yes I Do! LOL
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: Ramcharger/Air Grabber box restoration services... - 12/22/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone...

I didnt even bother trying to clean it, quite frankly. Maybe it will clean up real nice...The seal is mint..New clips and a new decal and maybe it will look awesome...We'll see..I have no issue in paying someone to give me a "turnkey" deal on the box..If it will look good..

For those that have interest...

The body is sweet on this car...Its never had rust issues and no panels need replacing..so thats good news...A lot of inherent holes will have to be filled..

I am currently putting the motor together...Its going to be a FAST type build that should make around 650 horse through the manifolds. I hope to be able to run into the 10's at high 120's for MPH on the F60's and through the stock exhaust manifolds...Dont worry, the original motor is going into the corner..The car will never be for sale anyway- unless you see me eating a can of beans under a train trestle somewhere...Maybe not even then..

On a seperate note...Who is the current go to guy on heater box resto?
I was going to send it to Jules..:o(

Ill keep you all posted..

MB

Cant wait to see it done. I always loved this car! 650HP thru stock manifolds is a monster. That will be fun! I built mine with just over 510HP to have something that would get out of its own way and still be stock appearing. Please keep us posted.....

Scott
© 2024 Moparts Forums