Moparts

Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job!

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:30 AM

I'm giving credit where credit is due. I sent this relic salvaged from the Titanic to Jim to see if he could save it (it's an original 1970 Hemi alternator). Believe it or not It looked even worse before I steam cleaned it!

Here is what it started out as..............

Attached picture 7947421-AltbeforeB.jpg

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:31 AM

Attached picture 7947423-AltbeforeA.jpg

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:32 AM

Attached picture 7947425-AltbeforeC.jpg

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:33 AM

After....It needed most everything replaced, pulley, studs, and other rusted hardware.

Attached picture 7947427-AltAfterB.jpg

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:33 AM

B

Attached picture 7947428-AltAfterA.jpg

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:34 AM

C

Attached picture 7947430-AltAfterBc.jpg

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:35 AM

D

Attached picture 7947431-AltAfterC.jpg

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:35 AM

E

Attached picture 7947432-AltAfterD.jpg

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:36 AM

Last one. Pretty impressive save there Jim!

Attached picture 7947433-AltAfterE.jpg
Posted By: srt

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:41 AM

looks very nice.
is the aluminum painted bright, or bright natural finish?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:42 AM

Very impressive. I keep looking for evidence that the case halves are not the originals but I can't find anything. Pretty!

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 05:00 AM

Quote:

It looks to be dipped in Zinc Dichromate. Not 100% original but considering where they started from it looks fantastic!

Quote:

I keep looking for evidence that the case halves are not the originals but I can't find anything.

The numbers and date stampings don't lie, it's the same case
Posted By: streaker

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 05:27 AM

Jim did one for me and I am very happy with his work also.

Attached picture 7947504-alt1.jpg
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 06:23 AM

Here's what mine looked like before Jim did his magic. It turned out like yours. I put Jim on the same level as Jules.

Attached picture 7947559-S4300024_4.jpg
Posted By: m46rat

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 08:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It looks to be dipped in Zinc Dichromate. Not 100% original but considering where they started from it looks fantastic!

Scott: Are all his alternators dipped in Zinc Dichromate or only the ones recently found inside the remains of the Titanic? Also, would that orange paint be correct for a Hemi alternator?

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 01:45 PM

m46rat. I don't know on the dip, you'd need to ask Jim that question. Yes, I've seen original hemi alternators with the orange markings.
Posted By: VCODE

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 02:25 PM

Jim's the man. He has done work for me. Great Job
Bob
Posted By: Cooda

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 02:35 PM

Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 02:43 PM

Here's the after shot.

Attached picture 7947706-DSCN0646.JPG
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 03:02 PM

That is an OUTSTANDING job........

One question Scott, in '70, the adjustment strap was curved in '70 on HEMI applications? I thought all years had the straight adjustment strap...
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 03:08 PM

man - a real 176 - 2nd one I've ever seen - Jim does great work!
Posted By: paris401

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 03:24 PM

nice work... what was the cost??
Posted By: JRepucci

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 03:28 PM

Quote:

One question Scott, in '70, the adjustment strap was curved in '70 on HEMI applications? I thought all years had the straight adjustment strap...

all OEM 69-71 hemi uses a straight adjustment bracket.

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 03:29 PM

My bill would not be representative of his typical restoration charge because there were core parts and extra machine work charges involved due to it's "special" condition. Contact Jim for a quote on your parts.

Quote:

all OEM 69-71 hemi uses a straight adjustment bracket.

Correct, this one had been replaced at one time
Posted By: 70RT

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:09 PM

Thanks, Scott, appreciate the kind words. The tint on the alternator shells in the pictures is from a weak chromate wash. I have seen this on many assembly line pieces and most NOS shelf stock. If you look inside most 66 - 71 alternator and starter housings, you'll find traces of it. Apparently, it didn't weather well and was a short term solution to oxidation on aluminum parts after casting. Most NOS alternators show not only a chromate wash on the shells but also on the clear zink hardware. After talking to some plating guys I trust they pointed me toward a chemical that replicates the finish. As far as the orange marking on the rear shell, it is an indicator of amperage. Unless you specified an amperage upgrade when ordering the car from the dealer, CC supplied you with a 37 amp alternator on most "muscle cars."

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 04:47 PM

No problem Jim

On the chromate finish, I have also seen a pretty fair degree of variability on NOS units I've seen.

One question though, I notice that the housing bolts on the Hemi unit are plated silver/gold, and on the other example showed above the same bolts are black. Is there some protocol as to which alternators got which?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 06:30 PM

Quote:

I've only seen straight adjustment brackets on HEMI applications, B/E body, the 1970 HEMICUDA I'm working on right now rebuilding the engine, (all original, been sitting for close to 30 yrs/original owner) has a straight adjusting strap

Mike

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/05/13 06:59 PM

Scott - two separate vendors. Clear zink "bullseye" housing bolts seem to be more common in 70. Black phosphate coated more common in earlier years but both are seen.
Posted By: CornDogsCharger

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/07/13 03:41 AM

You mention that the original coating process did not weather well. Is your coating more durable, and will it last longer than original? Thanks... and GREAT WORK!!!!

Justin
"CornDog"

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/07/13 04:51 PM

Justin - the chromate wash CC used just delayed aluminum oxidation. Not much differently than other sacrificial finishes found on fasteners and parts of the day. As part of our finishing process, at the customers request, we dip the finished shells in a chemical bath. Since we just recently began offering this option, I don't know if it will provide any better weathering than the original process. I would guess it won't.

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/07/13 05:38 PM

I can add to that....If you wish to help preserve the chromate coating you can apply some of ECS's metal treatments to the freshly dipped surfaces, it will further seal the new surface from the harmful oxidation process. I like the AMMO product they sell, it wipes on with no heat, sort of like a very soft gel/wax. Allow it to dry and buff it off and it's 100% invisible.

Buy AMMO here

Attached picture 7950289-AMMO_Container.png
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/07/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

I can add to that....If you wish to help preserve the chromate coating you can apply some of ECS's metal treatments to the freshly dipped surfaces, it will further seal the new surface from the harmful oxidation process. I like the AMMO product they sell, it wipes on with no heat, sort of like a very soft gel/wax. Allow it to dry and buff it off and it's 100% invisible.

Buy AMMO here

What about the RPM stuff that is similar?

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/07/13 07:11 PM

RPM is a heavier duty product and would also work, however their recommended application method is to apply it to a heated/warmed part (160 degrees F or so) and I don't like to apply heat to delicate dipped or plated parts. The Ammo is a thinner product and wiping away remaining residue in small recesses on complex shaped parts (like and alternator case) is easier, Q-tips are handy in this job.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations - Nice Job! - 12/08/13 06:12 AM

Quote:

RPM is a heavier duty product and would also work, however their recommended application method is to apply it to a heated/warmed part (160 degrees F or so) and I don't like to apply heat to delicate dipped or plated parts. The Ammo is a thinner product and wiping away remaining residue in small recesses on complex shaped parts (like and alternator case) is easier, Q-tips are handy in this job.

Good info..sounds easier to work with..
© 2024 Moparts Forums