Moparts

Rust repair help

Posted By: 8Cuda

Rust repair help - 12/18/08 06:39 AM

What would be the best approach to repair the rusted areas of my quarter panels on my 70 Cuda 440?

Attached picture 4886414-IMG_2016.jpg
Posted By: curleysracecars

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 06:58 AM

Best approach I would say is to hang a new quarter panel on it. You could make a panel that fits in their after cutting the rusted spots out, but it would take someone who had some metal forming skills. If you have these skills, go for it.

Kyle
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 08:01 AM

If that is all the rust that you have I would make a patch panel rather than replace the whole thing.
Posted By: Finoke

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 12:05 PM

Will a vinyl top be going back on?

I would be tempted to hold a disimilar metal behind the hole, while you fill each small hole with a mig welder.

CUt the area out and patch if the mig only makes the holes bigger.

I would only try to fill the holes like this if the entire panel is fine except the area in the photo.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 12:27 PM

Youll never fill those holes with a mig. Your just going to make them bigger trying and then you still have rust pits to deal with. Cut it out and replace it is the correct way to fix it.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 01:14 PM

one of my tricks is before you cut it out, make patch panel,while beating and shaping it,keep laying it over the problem are to get the right shape and curvature,once you know the patch panel lays nice and flat up against the old pitted spot,trace out cut line and proceed with cutting the rusted out metal then weld a new patch in, it will help you to keep filler to a minimum, good old English wheel would come in handy,but if you have no access to sheetmetal forming equipment, few hammers and a block of wood will do
good luck
Stefan
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 01:50 PM

Quote:

one of my tricks is before you cut it out, make patch panel,while beating and shaping it,keep laying it over the problem are to get the right shape and curvature,once you know the patch panel lays nice and flat up against the old pitted spot,trace out cut line and proceed with cutting the rusted out metal then weld a new patch in, it will help you to keep filler to a minimum, good old English wheel would come in handy,but if you have no access to sheetmetal forming equipment, few hammers and a block of wood will do
good luck
Stefan

and since you're in Cali I suspect the rest of the panel is in decent shape. I'd simply replace the area. If a vinyl top is going back on don't assume it's going to hide imperfections. You'd be surprised how imperfect shaping will show thru a top.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 04:06 PM

Yep, cut it out and replace with a patch. If you don't have the skills to make the patch, look around for a good metal guy. Even a good HVAC shop guy could make one.

Dave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 04:07 PM

Quote:

What would be the best approach to repair the rusted areas of my quarter panels on my 70 Cuda 440?

my suggestion- Find someone who is restoring a Cuda convertible,and get the unused upper 1/4 from a reproduction full 1/4 like those that AMD makes.
Or just buy an AMD full 1/4 ,cut off the part you need,and sell the 1/4 to a convertible owner
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Rust repair help - 12/18/08 08:44 PM

Perhaps a great candidate for that zinc spray process........

If you have somebody near that does it.
Posted By: FC7AARcuda

Re: Rust repair help - 12/19/08 02:18 PM

With all the people now replacing their quarters with the new full panels, you should be able to find someone who has this section from the old panel they removed. Try placing an ad in the E-body parts wanted section.
Posted By: BarrsRestoration

Re: Rust repair help - 12/21/08 03:45 AM

This is what I did to fix the same problem, and it was a '70 6-pack car, too!
http://www.clarkclassic.com/mygallery/index.asp?CatID=33

Steve

www.clarkclassic.com
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Rust repair help - 12/21/08 06:56 PM

Quote:

This is what I did to fix the same problem, and it was a '70 6-pack car, too!
http://www.clarkclassic.com/mygallery/index.asp?CatID=33

Steve

www.clarkclassic.com

Man...that sure is a nice lookin Whirly Jig!

Re: Rust repair help - 12/21/08 07:13 PM

Yeah, it was. Someone from Asheville ended up buying it.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Rust repair help - 12/21/08 10:54 PM

Quote:

Perhaps a great candidate for that zinc spray process........

If you have somebody near that does it.

i agree a member here at moparts mr.b think in ohio does it or at least he used to also does polishing and plating of trim now
he has pics of this sray welder system.looks like it works great when you can blast the metal clean on both sides then fill
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Rust repair help - 12/24/08 07:21 PM

If that's the only bad area, just replace that piece
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Rust repair help - 12/25/08 01:16 AM

Clean all the primer and rust off it, put some duct tape on the back side to plug the holes, and skim a coat of Almetal on it. Block it, prime it and do your finish work. You can do it and the body seam at the same time. Once finished, 99.999% of people would never know the difference, and if done right it would last for years.

Re: Rust repair help - 12/25/08 03:09 AM

If done right it WILL last for years. Duct tape and Allmetal AIN'T the right way to fix it, but I'll bet he knows that.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Rust repair help - 12/25/08 07:07 AM

Quote:

Clean all the primer and rust off it, put some duct tape on the back side to plug the holes, and skim a coat of Almetal on it. Block it, prime it and do your finish work. You can do it and the body seam at the same time. Once finished, 99.999% of people would never know the difference, and if done right it would last for years.

Re: Rust repair help - 12/25/08 08:19 AM

Quote:

If done right it WILL last for years. Duct tape and Allmetal AIN'T the right way to fix it, but I'll bet he knows that.

Come on now, you DO remove the duct tape once the Almetal hardens, and no it's not the "right" way, but it does work rather well. It's hard to argue the speed, cost, durability and appropriateness for those who don't have the means or the money for the "right" way. Not everyone can afford fancy metal work and/or expensive tools.

Re: Rust repair help - 12/25/08 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on now, you DO remove the duct tape once the Almetal hardens, and no it's not the "right" way, but it does work rather well. It's hard to argue the speed, cost, durability and appropriateness for those who don't have the means or the money for the "right" way. Not everyone can afford fancy metal work and/or expensive tools.

Well, he did ask for "the best approach" to fix his rust problem, not the cheapest way.
And I agree that not everyone has access to the needed tools or the funds to pay a professional.
Merry Christmas!
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Rust repair help - 12/25/08 04:49 PM

Quote:

Posted By: moparfun340

Re: Rust repair help - 12/27/08 11:54 AM

What is almetal is it some kind of bondo. Where is the best place to get it? If I have a spot like that should I get it media blasted first to make it last longer. About how long do you THINK it will last.
Thanks

Re: Rust repair help - 12/27/08 02:12 PM

It is a two-part catalyzed bondo-like product with a silver metal powder instead of the plastic filler. Used sparingly, it's actually a very good product for it's intended use. It's available at any auto paint store or over the net.

It's important to clean and remove any unsound material, treat the rust with a rust converting product and once the almetal is in place and shaped, to seal it well, so it is protected from air and moisture. If done properly, it will last as long as your paint job. If you live in an area where they salt the roads, you have a lot of chalenges to keep your car in rust free condition as it is. I feel sorry for those who have to fight that battle. These cars are hard enough to restore without fighting and repairing the problems that rust brings to the table.

The correct way is always to cut out the bad spot and weld in fresh clean metal, but depending on what your trying to do and what you're working with. That might not be the best way in your case.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Rust repair help - 12/27/08 02:27 PM

Posted By: moparfun340

Re: Rust repair help - 12/27/08 03:19 PM

Will duraglass work as good at the almetal. Is that the real name for it almetal or is it something else. Plus do you think evapo rust is a good thing to use after media blasting the spot?
Posted By: HemiChallenger

Re: Rust repair help - 12/27/08 04:18 PM

Make a patch panel for it or just the area where the is actual hole through then lead fill the rest since your right at the seem...

Steve
© 2024 Moparts Forums