Moparts

Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft

Posted By: 1970mopar

Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/10/13 05:04 PM

Aside from the Mopar Performance "reproduction" big block camshaft, What other manufacturers (IE american made. not chinese) are making a correct reproduction (OEM grind or equivilant) replacement camshaft for 68-71 440HP.

pros/cons ?
likes/dislikes ?
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/11/13 02:01 AM

not sure where his are made, but maybe give him a shout - never heard anything bad about Bob Karakashian - mr6pk@hotmail.com
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/11/13 02:46 AM

hey pete - couldn't you just call any cam manufacture with your specs and have one ground if they don't already offer it ?

What about Hughes ?

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/11/13 04:25 AM

Bryon, yes I could simply have a cam ground by a number of local cam grinders which may be an option.
I was looking for a ready made cam that is ground close to factory specs other than the Mopar Performance one. A cam that other poeple have used with good results.

MR Six Packs cams are made by engle I believe.

does anyone have the factory cam specs with the specs at .050 as the service manual does not indicate these specifications.

I did speak with Hughes. They were someone helpful however they didnt (or the guy i spoke with) didnt have the factory specs or crossover cam that he could say was an almost match. (probably because they grind their cams on different lobes) They did give me a cam suggestion that im considering, just looking for other options.
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/11/13 05:08 AM

MR. Six Pack cams are really nice for a stock build. I have ordered 6 now from Bob and always look to him now for my cams. I could not be happier with them.
Posted By: mike s

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/11/13 06:41 AM

Comp cams has their version.Ground on 110 LC not 113 like the Mopar.222-226@.050.268-276 advertised duration.Lift is .464. Slightly noisier than the stock cam.Good power though.Crane and Lunati also have a version.Mopar Perf has likely the closest to original.Their repo Street Hemi solid is spot on.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/11/13 12:21 PM

Quote:

not sure where his are made, but maybe give him a shout - never heard anything bad about Bob Karakashian - mr6pk@hotmail.com

For what it's worth, I recently had one go bad and both he and Engle refused to do anything about it.
Posted By: ek3

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/12/13 02:21 AM

mopar performance orig 6 pack cam is the best. 268-284 450-458 actual @ .050 is 228-241 115 c/l. I can tell you that it is an excellent camshaft if you want the best street friendly power and smooth idol. Why buy another brand? this cam is dead on to the factory 6 pack . install it as instructed and it will pull hard from 1-6500rpm with very good reliability.

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/12/13 05:55 PM

Quote:

mopar performance orig 6 pack cam is the best

Yes I've used them with great success in the past however they are being manufactured in CHINA now and I have heard some issues with their metalurgy that concerns me.
Hence the reason I'm looking for alternatives..
Posted By: ek3

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/12/13 09:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I've used them with great success in the past however they are being manufactured in CHINA now and I have heard some issues with their metalurgy that concerns me.

sounds like a call to comp with the correct cam / lifter specs would be best.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/14/13 06:31 PM

I'm looking too but I want the( mopar only )exhaust sound those original cams gave. I guess it would take us old guys to remember that sound. Do the new cams have it?
Posted By: bronze69

Re: Reproduction OEM 440 HP Big Block Camshaft - 10/14/13 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That explains why I just got a Mopar Performance OEM Hemi Purple Shaft cam and was concerned when it wasn't purple like every other purple shaft I had gotten.
© 2024 Moparts Forums