Trunk mats for a '69 Charger...

What was used originally?

Rubber?

Vinyl?

What colors were available?

Patterns?

What company makes the most accurate reproduction mats,

and do they all come folded up and creased,

or does someone ship them flat, or possibly rolled up?
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/09/13 01:12 AM

Here's a picture of my '69 Charger Daytona. Yes, it was rubber... No one make an exact reproduction yet....

Attached picture 7880664-101_0222.small.JPG
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/09/13 01:13 AM

Another close up..... This is the original to the car....

Attached picture 7880668-DSC03995.JPG
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/09/13 02:11 AM

Thanks for the picture Troy.

I think my Dad had some Bermuda shorts in that pattern.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/09/13 03:01 PM

Quote:

Trunk mats for a '69 Charger...

What was used originally?

Rubber?

Vinyl?

What colors were available?

Patterns?

What company makes the most accurate reproduction mats,

and do they all come folded up and creased,

or does someone ship them flat, or possibly rolled up?

Like Troy said, no one makes a correct reproduction. We sell them and they come in different patterns and colors. All folded, not rolled, but I could ask the manufacturer if they would roll it and not fold it. Don't know if they would or not. I don't stock them, I drop ship them straight from the manufacturer.

If you're not sure what pattern you need, I will say most original Chargers I've seen use the pattern in Troy's picture. Not that that is scientific in any way. Just an observation.

If we can help, please let us know.

Thanks,
Randy
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 01:48 AM

Randy, don't want to steal the topic, but kinda related. I assume REM makes most of the trunk mats,and after talking to them myself, they don't care that the mats aren't correct, why can't resellers like yourself put some pressure for the real thing, especially the 71 stuff.

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 03:03 AM

Quote:

Randy, don't want to steal the topic, but kinda related. I assume REM makes most of the trunk mats,and after talking to them myself, they don't care that the mats aren't correct, why can't resellers like yourself put some pressure for the real thing, especially the 71 stuff.

Yes, they make them. I think they would tell you that the cost to tool up and make a correct one is more expensive than the profit they would make. As long as people buy the incorrect one's, they aren't going to bother making the right one. I would like to see correct ones made, but I don't think it will happen. That's my opinion anyway. Sorry.
Posted By: Grizzly69

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 04:14 AM

Thanks, everyone.

Randy, Will you check to see if they will ship them rolled and not folded ?

Thanks,

Grizzly...
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 04:31 AM

Quote:

Back in the early 80's a company called Motor City Originals (long gone now) early to the Mopar only restoration market (before Chrysler licensing tactics shut many down)made some really nice trunk mats, very original looking, in fact some are often passed off as NOS to the uninformed "numbers crowd" I was fortunate enough to buy a few for my cars before they went disco...so they can be made, but in today's economy/market the only way that's going to happen is a private venture on an enthusiast behalf, or "front money" to fund a project with an existing vendor like say ECS or REM, ACC, TrimParts,Steele, etc, etc who has the contacts and ability to get it done,...money talks, it would be a viable investment, as many express an interest in wanting it, the key is $$$$ and a competent manufacturer to make the venture successful
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 02:07 PM

I see our member 71TA whom owns DMT (Detroit Muscle Technologies) is advertising to purchase original mats on this site. Let's hope he takes it all the way and comes out with some nice repops like MCO use to make.

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 03:07 PM

Yes I remember Motor City Originals,I might even still have a catalogue. You know they even used to offer exact reproduction seat covers,or thicker material ones for longer wear.They had some nice stuff.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 03:12 PM

I believe that MCO used the same vendor that made the original mats and that's why they seem like NOS.

They basically are.

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 03:47 PM

Back then, I believe one of the original companies that made the mats was in TN. You could still find some of those guys around. I'd be willing to bet most have moved off shore. Like the fuel sending units we made from the original supplier, they moved their plant from AL to Mexico. Hopefully, DMT can make them, that would be great.

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 03:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks, everyone.

Thanks,

Grizzly...

Will do !
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 05:41 PM

Quote:

I see our member 71TA whom owns DMT (Detroit Muscle Technologies) is advertising to purchase original mats on this site. Let's hope he takes it all the way and comes out with some nice repops like MCO use to make.

I have an MCO trunk mat I bought in the late 80's I didn't store correctly and now it's got some splits in the vinyl.
ECS was planning to reproduce them, but Dave posted recently (on one of the few sites he hasn't been banned from ) that he had sourced the right material and was almost ready to go but didn't have enough commitment for orders so shelved the project. I would have ordered 3 Challenger mats if I'd known he was looking to gage interest in the product.
Good repro mats are something everyone seems to need so I can't imagine a good product wouldn't sell very well. Though the same was being said 7 or 8 years ago about 15x7 trim rings and they didn't generate sales anywhere near expectations when they finally were made, so who knows.
I'll keep up hope DMT will step up to the plate and produce these, and that if he does he'll sell a bunch!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 05:43 PM

Wasn't ECS in the early process of getting the trunk mats made?
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/10/13 06:08 PM

Back in 1987 I bought a trunk mat at the New England Mopar show at the Farmington fair grounds. It may have been an MCO mat. I just took a look at it, the cut-outs for the jack are correctly located,very correct looking material, not that shiny, slick looking stuff they use today. It could pass for NOS.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/11/13 02:17 AM

Whew. A lot to learn but I'm gonna give it my best shot. First is the shape. Like many factory pieces these soft parts from back in the day were just a crude fit utilitarian piece. Never intended to be a show car piece. That being said I'll try to straddle the line of correct OEM shape and maybe minor tweaks like I've done to my gaskets for better fit/coverage.

Couple question / insights so far.

1) What years, makes, models had the tan plaid pattern (like shown above)? Looks like 68-69 A an B bodies so far but I've read online some 68-69 B owners had gray plaid. Was it just whatever was available from the vendor or was it a certain plant.

2) What years had the dark gray PVC foam backing? I know 71 E bodies for sure. And just received a 72 GTX mat from a local guy that also had the foam backing. These mats were also made from a material called Burtex. The company, still around, makes burlap based fabrics. Not sure if they printed the herringbone pattern on the Burtex or if someone else did that. I still need to call and find out. Looks like other some other big name interior companies sell this Burtex material. I'll buy a chunk of this (and their vinyls)to verify its accuracy

3) Burtex, what years, makes, models used Burtex. It's a light weight, fleece backed material with a dark gray PVC foam. Ford used this in the 60's and 70's also. If you know your trunk may is/was Burtex I'd be interested.

4) It looks like some mats have about 6" sewn on to the part that goes up to the back seat. Wonder if the rolls only came in a certain width (appears that may have been like 54 or 56") and the piece sewn on was necessary to get the extra length to cover that area upto the seat. Met a guy with a 64 Fury last week at a car show that said he bought 2 mats so he could cut a strip from one and sew it on to the other like the factory did.
What mats had this extension?

That's a start

Jim Fillmore

Attached picture 7883353-photo1(1).JPG

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/11/13 05:08 AM

I have a 71 mat from a junk yard SSP that I could send a piece of. I don't think fit is the issue, its the material. Of the things that I would really like to have that are correct.
1.71 trim rings
2. Trunk mat.

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/11/13 12:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks, everyone.

Thanks,

Grizzly...

The Rubber mat is shipped rolled. We don't recommend the vinyl one as it's very flimsy.

Thanks,
Randy
Posted By: Trailers4Sale

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/11/13 02:29 PM

Dayclona do the Motor City Original trunk mats go all of the way to the back seat or do they stop short of it?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/11/13 09:05 PM

I called up ECS today to see about if they were still checking into doing this and was passed on to Dave. We talked for a while about this and the out come was that ECS is very close (possibly this winter) to having perfect reproductions being made down to the correct thickness, back side pattern lines, correct front printed colors, and numbers with Pentastar stamped on the back side also.

I know that we can use these for all 3 of our cars that we have as I've always been annoyed with the huge gap up by the wheel wells and the ares where the quarter panel is.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/12/13 07:13 PM

Quote:

Dayclona do the Motor City Original trunk mats go all of the way to the back seat or do they stop short of it?

Anthony,

I can only vouch for the E body MCO mats that I have, they end at the front of the shock support

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/19/13 05:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, everyone.

Thanks,

Grizzly...

The Rubber mat is shipped rolled. We don't recommend the vinyl one as it's very flimsy.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,

What color(s) are the rubber mats available in for the '69 Charger ?

Grizzly...

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/19/13 04:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, everyone.

Thanks,

Grizzly...

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,

Grizzly...

Tan Plaid
Gray Plaid
Herringbone
Houndstooth

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/19/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, everyone.

Thanks,

Grizzly...

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,

Grizzly...

Tan Plaid
Gray Plaid
Herringbone
Houndstooth

Email sent...
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 09/14/17 02:56 AM

Here is a Motor City Originals trunk mat for a 68-70 Charger.
Pretty close to original. The texture on back is very close.
Link.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/mco-original-trunk-mat-68-70-charger.71615/
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 09/14/17 08:33 PM

So what is the latest on better trunk mats? Did DMT or ACS come out with a product yet?
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 09/14/17 08:42 PM

I was just getting ready to ask the same question. I would be interested in a 68-69 A-body one.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 09/14/17 08:43 PM

I have the MCO in the trunk of my red 70 Charger that I bought for it back in the 80's it also only goes up to the shock tower area as Dayclona mentioned about the E Bodies mats.
Posted By: Trailers4Sale

Re: Trunk mats... '69 Charger ? - 10/05/17 05:05 AM

I had always heard that the Motor City Originals were good reproductions. Looking at the photos provided in the link to forbbodiesonly.com it is obvious that the color and pattern are not even close. Not only that the cut outs are completely off and the mat comes up way short by the back seat area.
© 2024 Moparts Forums