Moparts

SHAKER TRIM RINGS

Posted By: ek3

SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/29/13 07:09 AM

were all factory shaker trim rings made of steel ? meaning the part that is on top of the hood only that bolts on.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/29/13 07:31 AM

Quote:

were all factory shaker trim rings made of steel ? meaning the part that is on top of the hood only that bolts on.

None of them were steel. They were zinc alloy die cast. BEA sells the absolute best reproduction there is, they even have the tiny Chrysler part# cast into the underside of them just like originals did.

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/29/13 07:50 AM

thanks Scott. Mike @ BEA is # 1. I bought sig lamps from him. I am trying to determine if mine is factory or a good re-pop. been reading old posts but nothing to positively id it one way or the other. if it turns out to be a re-pop I will want the real deal. I need to know the details so I can buy the correct one . [have one local that is complete except its for a 4bbl]
Posted By: YYZ

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/29/13 12:48 PM

Just bear in mind that the trim ring that bolts to the hood is different between Challenger and 'Cuda.

For 'Cuda, there are a few choices, and BEA is hands-down the best.

For Challenger, it's either find an original or be prepared to work with some of the repros. That said, the ones from Harms/RestoRick (if they're still available) are probably your best bet.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/29/13 03:01 PM

IIRC - if it's Challenger and has a part number it's original. Got pics?

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 04:35 AM

Pictures.. best I can get for now . hard time getting them sized for the website.

Attached picture 7870230-ShakerHood.jpg

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 04:40 AM

Quote:

IIRC - if it's Challenger and has a part number it's original. Got pics?

any part # for the hood or just the rings?

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 04:45 AM

Quote:

Just bear in mind that the trim ring that bolts to the hood is different between Challenger and 'Cuda.

For 'Cuda, there are a few choices, and BEA is hands-down the best.

For Challenger, it's either find an original or be prepared to work with some of the repros. That said, the ones from Harms/RestoRick (if they're still available) are probably your best bet.

This is a Challenger 1971 nov-dec 70 built date. that's what I want to do. if the one I have is not factory [and I think its not]I know where the whole set up is . I just don't know how to tell if it's factory correct for either one ...

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 05:40 AM

The under hood brace looks like a reproduction, Cuda style.

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 05:59 AM

? tac welds , spot welds, crimp spots ? is there a dead give away on this hood?

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 06:05 AM

Quote:

? tac welds , spot welds, crimp spots ? is there a dead give away on this hood?

All of the above as well as the overall shape of the stamping

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 06:10 AM

I will get some good photos of the one I can buy and post them here and see if that one looks right! Thanks, very much for looking at this.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 03:22 PM

That is almost certainly a Gene Gregory hood, more than the original number of spotwelds, plus he tack welded in places where the underbrace would not stay and used smaller sotwelder tips.
The longer than original studs on the trim rings are also a giveaway of his rings.
Here are a few photos of my original Challenger hood.
Notice length of the trim ring stud and size of spotwelds..

Attached picture 7870451-B531.jpg

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 03:26 PM

more showing the spotwelds and not all on the very edge like his..

Attached picture 7870454-B51.jpg

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 03:28 PM

original seam sealer.. the above are only some of the things to look for when examining the hood you are going to look at..

Attached picture 7870455-B551.jpg

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 04:42 PM

Challenger under braces were unique from Cuda. The ONLY correct ones were originals or the Harms reproduction (now sold by www.restorick.com)

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 06:07 PM

also if examining what you think appears to be an original hood, always look close at the front at the top of the underbrace where you will see this very prominent wrinkling in the sheetmetal, easily distinguishable from an AMD, Goodmark or anyones reproduction underhood brace that I have ever seen.

Attached picture 7870623-zzzzzzhoodwrinkle3.jpg

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 09/30/13 06:11 PM

another shot...

Attached picture 7870627-zzzzzzhoodwrinkle1.jpg

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/01/13 05:03 AM

THANK YOU ! everyone...... scott, dan, YYZ, and mccannix, the photos will really help with future id on factory hoods.[phone call] to mike over @ BEA big time plus for the info about -NOT-breaking the trim ring bolts when restoring the hood ++++! this is what " makes " moparts in my op. Knowlage backed up with the facts.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/04/13 03:30 AM

OEM

Attached picture 7875435-original.JPG

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/04/13 03:34 AM

Gene Gregory

Attached picture 7875440-GGunderhood.gif

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/04/13 03:39 AM

Gregory Ring hood ring fit

Attached picture 7875443-GGhoodringfit.jpg

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/04/13 03:53 AM

any other photos of this hood? [ I am referring to the one marked OEM in the pic posted by UCUDANT]. the welds look built up on this one and they look like they are dimpled "inward" spots on the other posted by MCCANNIX above it . I looked at a hood that is for sale today and it does not have the large wrinkles at the front however, it does look to be a real hood based on your spotweld type and the same factory seam sealer.. the trim ring has 5/8" [long] studs and was not attached to the hood not as sure about it.i took 25 photos of it all only to find out tonight the auto save was not on so no pics to post today. I would love to see some more shots of this hood . Thanks for posting.

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/04/13 03:59 AM

were the hoods all made at 1 place ? mabe different welding equipment/processes ? it seems like the 2 posted hoods are very different weld wise .

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/04/13 04:04 AM

Quote:

Gregory Ring hood ring fit

Wipe off the primer and let us know what's underneath.

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/04/13 02:44 PM

Scott it's just a compilation of some reference photo I kept, not mine.

EK3 sorry that's the lone shot of that underbrace. I think what you're referring to is actually a depression, it even appears to have some dust in it.
Posted By: RTshaker

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/04/13 02:56 PM

Terry/Scott; I noticed on the blue B 5 underside shot of the shaker trim ring there was not any brushed on black on the inner edge{I assume to show no colour if you look in the crack from the top between the scoop and hood }. What is the story on this?? I have a black RT shaker car therefore it was not painted . I had an original b5 blue one that was painted along the interior like in the attachement from Moparts ..Comments ?

Attached picture 7875751-shakerring.jpg

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/05/13 01:54 AM

this is the photo I am referring to in post # 7870454. right down the center of the photo there is what appears to be multiple depressions in place of spot welds. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/7870454-B51.jpg this hood is not the same as you can see the built up spot welds when compared to the other hood https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/7875435-original.JPG am I missing something or was there more than one weld method ?

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/05/13 09:20 AM

Not sure what to tell you, the areas you are referring to are probably where the spot weld is up against an upward bending contour in the metal, so if the ares of metal being welded did not sit flush maybe a poor contact, excessive heat?

You may also see wrinkles in one under brace and not another

Re: SHAKER TRIM RINGS - 10/05/13 04:26 PM

Quote:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/7870454-B51.jpg

This pic reflects what the spot welds should look like, they did not vary much.

the other one is not a clear enough photo to pass judgment on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums