Moparts

71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out?

Posted By: demon

71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 02:27 AM

Was the inside of the front valance blacked out? Or just the vertical support braces? Anyone have an original paint survivor type to show pictures of? I know the valances were painted off the car, then installed from the factory and wonder if they were blacked out before or after installation. Any black paint on the bolt heads? Thanks.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 03:31 AM

I was told that the valances were hanging inside of the car when it got painted, and thats when they got painted, and not very good either. So I would guess paint on the inside was hit and miss, if what I was told was true.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 04:16 AM

Quote:

Was the inside of the front valance blacked out? Or just the vertical support braces? Anyone have an original paint survivor type to show pictures of? I know the valances were painted off the car, then installed from the factory and wonder if they were blacked out before or after installation. Any black paint on the bolt heads? Thanks.

I have a handful of original paint 71 Sat/RR/GTX valances, only the three vertical braces are blacked out, on one valance only one side of the 3 verticals are blacked out, all done rather sloppy too, didn't appear any masks where used

what bolts that are still attached are black, but from all indications it appears the blackout was done after valance installation
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 07:24 AM

I wouldn't say they were blacked out, it was more a matter of whether they were painted body color or not. I've seen them with and without body color. Probably had something to do with who painted the car.
My original paint car has a substantial amount of body color on the inside of the valance, photos here https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0&fpart=1
Others have very little, survivor GB5 HEMI GTX:

Attached picture 7828976-IMG_2084.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't say they were blacked out, it was more a matter of whether they were painted body color or not. I've seen them with and without body color. Probably had something to do with who painted the car.
My original paint car has a substantial amount of body color on the inside of the valance

The 3 valances I have are blatantly sprayed with black paint on the vertical supports, as is a portion of the center vertical brace on the front 71 RR header panel I have, and all 4 pcs are from different cars
Posted By: Mr4Speed

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 07:18 PM

I have seen some with primer-residu on the inside.
But you know Chrysler...depends on who painted the car and how drunk he was the weekend before.

Attached picture 7829452-frontvalanceoverspraynietcompleetgespoten2.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 07:25 PM

Quote:

I have seen some with primer-residu on the inside.
But you know Chrysler...depends on who painted the car and how drunk he was the weekend before.

That's Troy's old orginal paint Challenger T/A.

I've got pictures of a silver 74 Road Runner with all kinds of black out spray between the grille, valence, and radiator support area. But that is a 74. OP was asking about 71 Plymouth B-bodies.

Although I do believe there is a general concept/reason/theme here that gets applied to many body styles and years. Understanding and/or finding out the reason can be as helpful as just copying someone else car.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 08:56 PM

I sold this one, years ago.

Attached picture 7829595-Valence,Intake,71Housings002.jpg

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/27/13 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My original paint car has a substantial amount of body color on the inside of the valance

The 3 valances I have are blatantly sprayed with black paint on the vertical supports, as is a portion of the center vertical brace on the front 71 RR header panel I have, and all 4 pcs are from different cars

Agreed, my point was that the back side of the valance didn't receive blackout. It was either oversprayed with body color or left in primer.
Posted By: Mr4Speed

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 09:24 AM

I used to have a survivor 1971 Charger SE, in butterscotch;
do you need some extra pics?
If yes, lemme know and I'll post them tonight.

best regards
Marcel
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 02:23 PM

After looking at several original valances years ago when I was doing my 'X, I came to the conclusion that any black on the inside of the valance was a by product of the radiator harness getting blacked out.

The mounting braces tended to have the most black. Which would make sense, the way they sprayed the radiator harness.

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 03:55 PM

Another original paint/survivor 71 runner...to me, the difference in sheen of the black on the rad support compared to the back of the valance as well as the full black coverage on the valance indicates it is not part of the blackout overspray. I believe the black on the support brackets is blackout overspray.
This is just my experience with 71 B bodies

Attached picture 7830669-IMG_1726.jpg

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 03:57 PM

same car

Attached picture 7830671-IMG_1725.jpg

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 03:59 PM

another (same car)

Attached picture 7830673-IMG_1021.jpg

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 04:00 PM

last one

Attached picture 7830676-IMG_1043.jpg

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 04:39 PM

This last picture shows what I was wondering about. Is that valance bolt unpainted? If so, that would leave me to believe the valances were blacked out before installation

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Another original paint/survivor 71 runner...to me, the difference in sheen of the black on the rad support compared to the back of the valance as well as the full black coverage on the valance indicates it is not part of the blackout overspray. I believe the black on the support brackets is blackout overspray.

and this picture shows it better. Clearly no paint on th two center valance bolts.
The valance must have been blacked out prior to installation.
When the car body was painted, the valance was off. Then the blackout on the rad support was done before anything was attached to the car. Then the bumpers, engine etc all went on. The valance would have been installed after all the other parts like the bumper etc. I'm sure the amount of blackout was totally dependant on the dude with the paintgun and how much he cared.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and this picture shows it better. Clearly no paint on th two center valance bolts.
The valance must have been blacked out prior to installation.
When the car body was painted, the valance was off. Then the blackout on the rad support was done before anything was attached to the car. Then the bumpers, engine etc all went on. The valance would have been installed after all the other parts like the bumper etc. I'm sure the amount of blackout was totally dependant on the dude with the paintgun and how much he cared.

What you think is blackout may well be black primer ...

Re: 71 Road Runner front valance. Inside blacked out? - 08/28/13 05:56 PM

I added a few more photos of my own survivor. Clearly no blackout at all on the back side or the brackets. I have no reason to believe the valance is not original to the car and original paint.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...c=1#Post7830831
© 2024 Moparts Forums