Moparts

what does REAL plum crazy purple look like?

Posted By: ph23vo

what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 02:29 AM

so many different shades of it on restored cars.. which paint brand is most correct? or are any? my car looks wrong to me but after comparing it to an orig painted piece i still have of the trunk floor its darn close... thoughts?

Attached picture 7801498-2003_0814_142552AA.JPG
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 05:30 AM

Don't know or sure but my .02 is I 1st did my duster in DuPont chroma base in high school. I then burned front half up with a fire and redid it like a year later in PPG DBC basecoat. The two were not the same. DuPont was lighter and PPG was more violet. Now granted the DuPont was shot over a gray sealer while the PPG was shot over K36 as a sealer that was tinted violet. That will make a difference and personally I
Liked the PPG better.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 07:31 AM

After looking at a ton of original cars over the years, I've come to one conclusion-there is NO constant...

A lot of the Dodge cars I've looked at appear to be darker than Plymouth...

Find an 'original' area, and get a color chip that matches accordingly...

I went through a half dozen before I went with Standox...

Dead-nuts match...
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 12:32 PM

All I can say is good luck on your quest to find a good accurate representation of the color, Although different I had a couple of months of heatburn trying to get a good match for FJ5. Even in single stage the pigments just arent the same today as they were then.
I wound up going with a custom mix of BCCC to get what I felt wasagood match for what was originally on the car.
Posted By: RJS

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 01:19 PM

I had this car which was PPG and it was a beautiful FC7.

Attached picture 7801797-P9100006(Large).JPG

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 01:21 PM

Then I had this one which was a little less Purple, NAPA paint.

Attached picture 7801800-IMG_2708(Large).JPG

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 01:25 PM

And now just bought this car which paint brand is unknown but it is more silver than either previous car,
The rims which I'm changing out to Black are are real nice Purple shade.
So 3 cars all different.
If I were painting a car FC7 I'd use PPG, it was by far the nicest shade.

Attached picture 7801805-IMG_3106(Large).JPG
Posted By: 8trackbee

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 01:52 PM

Standox, is very close, I use it every day and their colours are great. To be right thou you need direct gloss 2k.... that would be a better looking old metallic, basecoat clearcoat looks to modern sometimes....
Posted By: Chally426

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 02:22 PM

PPG....
Posted By: stinger

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 03:18 PM

I like the BASF diamont I used on mine. just the right amount of violet used over vs4 shade sealer

Attached picture 7801885-106.JPG

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 03:29 PM

another compared to the new purple chally

Attached picture 7801899-007.JPG
Posted By: aardakota

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 03:47 PM

Dupont had two formulas for plum crazy, one more violet the other lighter. The more violet was Alt.2 which matched the original on a 71 Demon. When these cars were painted originally paint was supplied in large batches and there was some variation between the batches as supplied. If at all possible get a camera read or an original area which will generate a formula that will match. Just dead nuts matched K5 using this method. Used Lesonal,(Sikkens). With new air quality regs waterborne will be taking over so it's a new ballgame. As I remember it real plum crazy was more violet and yes I was painting them back then but each of us sees color differently. Oh the magic of eyesight!!
Posted By: Quicksmopars

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 04:11 PM

I did my 70 Challenger R/T in ppg paint base clear. It said "plum fc7" on the can. I didn't have any original paint to compare to. I'm happy with it, pictures don't do it justice.

Attached picture 7801950-Steve'sChallenger005.jpg

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 05:01 PM

Quote:

I like the BASF diamont I used on mine. just the right amount of violet used over vs4 shade sealer

mine looks just like this.. and it matches the trunk paint pretty close so i guess its all good!

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 05:01 PM

Quote:

another just like mine..

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/04/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

Stinger's car looks like my Demon, but my eye likes PPG better

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/05/13 04:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Stinger's car looks like my Demon, but my eye likes PPG better

original color of my car was not as chromatic as other c7 colors I've seen but not as blan either. then again we're trying to match a single stage metallic with base/clear.not gonna happen.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/05/13 05:14 AM

it also depends on the color of primer, prep and most important..the spray equipment and the person doing it..even if they all use the same brand paint...I see it with my color on the car..cars come out with different shades
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/05/13 04:37 PM

i dont know if this will help but here is a real time capsule. This was my dads 70 chall he purchased while overseas in vietnam thru the chrysler armed forces rep. The picture was taken in 70-73 range with original paint on it. this photo was taken with one of the better films available then. Kodachrome. my dad was a very good photographer and it looks like it was taken yesterday. LOL..

Attached picture 7803172-purplechall.jpg
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/05/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

i dont know if this will help but here is a real time capsule. This was my dads 70 chall he purchased while overseas in vietnam thru the chrysler armed forces rep. The picture was taken in 70-73 range with original paint on it. this photo was taken with one of the better films available then. Kodachrome. my dad was a very good photographer and it looks like it was taken yesterday. LOL..

Not to steal the thread but to bolster your claim, Kodachrome is considered an archival quality film. Unlike the E-4 and E-6 process Ektachrome, Fujichrome and Agfa slide films, Kodachrome's dyes do not shift with time. If stored in darkness, the slides have a calculated 185 year span before some of the yellow starts to go away. The only thing better would be a picture made by a modern digital camera transported in a time machine to 1970 to retake the picture.
Craig
Craig
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/05/13 05:32 PM

When restoring my car I bought numerous batches of FC7 mixed from various paint manufacturers, & laid out test panels of each. All were a different shade.
As others have stated DuPont is more on the silver side, PPG is more violet.
I found PPG to be a dead-nuts match. Which makes sense because these cars were originally painted in Ditzler, which is now known as PPG.

I also found FJ5 Sublime is also more vibrant in PPG vs DuPont.

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/06/13 01:49 AM

Quote:

looks exactly like mine!..seems most are too purple.while it is a good look its NOT RIGHT!..thanks your dad made my day!
Posted By: rck850

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/06/13 02:01 AM

This paint is eleven years old and is code Fc7. Paint is PPG Deltron 2000 DBC

Attached picture 7803819-side.jpg

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/06/13 02:09 AM

Quote:

This paint is eleven years old and is code Fc7. I know the brand is DuPont but as far as paint line it is I'll have to see if I can find a can.

looks real close to correct to me... not too dark like most..a little silvery is what it is.. i matched mine to trunk floor paint..

Attached picture 7803834-2003_0814_142537AA.JPG
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/06/13 04:19 PM

Obviously computer screens, cameras, etc. all conspire to make it very difficult to compare, but yours looks way too light compared to the survivors I've seen.

...in particular, Steven Juliano's '71 Hemi Charger R/T with 10,000 miles on it.

Dave

on edit; I went back and looked at some pics of the aforementioned survivor and the color appears different in some of the pics vs. others under the same light on the same day so who knows. While yours appears to light to me, it is outside on a bright day so.... the only real comparison would be to take it and park it beside an original paint survivor (or find a wheel or something with good quality original paint). If you've got a sample of the original paint that is unfaded from your car, then that's about as good as you can get.

I managed to find some perfect paint under the sealer in my windshield channel for my paint match.

I will say this though; there were 6-8 FC7 cars at the show last weekend and I had commented to Sheldon that they ALL looked different.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/06/13 04:30 PM

I have 2 survivor 70's and a 71. The 2 70's are very close but not exact. Most 71's I have seen have been different than the 70 FC7.

The only way is to match the color on your car is with a good sample from an unmolested area.
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/06/13 06:15 PM

Dan, from your pics, it looks pretty good. Original cars I have seen, it is a lot lighter than most people paint them today.

Rick.
Posted By: rck850

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/06/13 07:00 PM

Huge correction my duster above was painted with PPG Deltron 2000 DBC.
Not the DuPont I thought originally.
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/06/13 07:27 PM

Original paint on my 71 R/T Challenger.

The original paint does appear much lighter in the direct sun with a tint of silver.

Attached picture 7804681-door.JPG
Posted By: a12rag

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/08/13 04:40 PM

Here is my 70 Sport Satellite . . .paint is PPG Detron(??) 2000.

Attached picture 7807078-Satellite2LethMay2013.jpg
Posted By: EL5 71

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/08/13 08:03 PM

I agree with Dave above...lighting makes a huge difference. These are from a 1970 Challenger R/T and were removed and stored in a dry basement... in 1970. Paint is factory original. Other pics I have are from my camera with no flash on just seconds later and these rims look like a deep, rich Plum Crazy hue. If I can reduce their size later, I'll post more pics showing the difference. Earlier in there was talk about this paint being mixed in large batches so there may be some slight differences. I tend to agree with this.

Attached picture 7807300-IMG_0418(3).JPG

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/08/13 08:04 PM

Attached picture 7807303-IMG_0419(2).JPG

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/08/13 08:10 PM

Another thing worth mentioning... these rims have no evidence of factory primer on them. Just the black enamel and Plum Crazy sprayed over the top on the rim's front sides. So maybe Plum Crazy over grey, red oxide or in this case black makes a world of difference also.

Attached picture 7807309-IMG_0422(4).JPG

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/11/13 02:07 AM

Same rims on mounted to the front of Hemi Road Runner. No flash, no sunlight and they look very deep colored.

Attached picture 7809866-Picture%20922.jpg

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/11/13 02:08 AM

other side

Attached picture 7809867-Picture%20921.jpg
Posted By: mopar_man

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/11/13 01:26 PM

And My is that they were several different plums from the factory. my 70 dart 340 and a friends 70 dart were both original paint and both were no where near the same color .
Posted By: Hailtheleaf538

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/11/13 10:50 PM

I wasnt around then but have seen alot inpersonn, in mags, on the internet......take into account seeing through different screen settings, film, light, even peoples eyes.....and add to that the painting equipment and the human factor of people doing it...

man it makes my head spin thinking of all the factors it would take to replicate......and like you said two new plum crazy darts looked different to you....

what do they go with on something like this at say the Carlisle gold certified cars and such?
Posted By: torredcuda

Re: what does REAL plum crazy purple look like? - 08/11/13 10:52 PM

They were probably supposed to be the same but when painted at different factories, different times, different batch of paint etc. there are various shades of the same color. That is why there are alternate formulas for most paints. Either pick one you like or find a good original sample spot and have it matched by a good paint guy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums