Moparts

68 GTX front buckets.

Posted By: Silverbullet2

68 GTX front buckets. - 05/25/08 12:27 PM

'Tore down my front seats yesterday and got the lower frames cleaned, up sanded and a coat of paint on. I have new covers, foams, hinge covers, headrests, and bezels. I noticed the factory burlap has a series of wires running through it attached to cords on the edges. I suppose it's to keep the burlap from pushing through the seat springs? Do you guys try to replicate this or should I just hog ring my new burlap to the seat springs, install the foam and covers and call it done? Thanks!
Posted By: Danan

Re: 68 GTX front buckets. - 05/25/08 01:01 PM

I replicate it whenever possible. If the seats have been "restored" in the past, the burlap and those wires are usually long gone. In either case, I purchased several yards of a very strong fabric that the local upholstery guys use instead of the burlap. It is far stronger and longer lasting, but doesn't look stock. I install the burlap (with or without the wires) and then lay the fabric mentioned above over that. Looks stock and is more durable than burlap alone.
Posted By: Silverbullet2

Re: 68 GTX front buckets. - 05/25/08 01:35 PM

Thanks Danan,

I had these recovered back in the 80s but about all hey did was covers and build up the old padding a little. Another question does anyone have new seat backs for the 68-69 seats? One of mine is broken and I'm also changing colors too.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: 68 GTX front buckets. - 05/25/08 07:37 PM

You can get the backs from legendary, you'll have to reuse the hook thingys though unless someone has started repopping them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums