Moparts

71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black?

Posted By: 79machocharger

71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black? - 05/20/13 06:17 PM

The air cleaner on my 71 cuda 340 is gloss black and I wasn't sure if they were all wrinkle painted or if some were gloss black? The car is pretty untouched and that why I'm asking. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: 71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black? - 05/20/13 06:28 PM

It should be wrinkled black finish.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black? - 05/20/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

It should be wrinkled black finish.

Posted By: mightycuda

Re: 71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black? - 05/21/13 03:06 PM

wrinkle finish on the outside of cover and body, flat black finish to the underside of cover and inside of body.
Posted By: 70mopes

Re: 71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black? - 05/21/13 11:55 PM

I am currently restoring an original '70 340 air cleaner which is wrinkle finish on the outside of cover and body and semi gloss to gloss black on inside of body and underside of cover.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black? - 05/22/13 01:15 AM

I talked to Roger Gibson about this in 2000 when I was preparing my 71 GTX for the Nats. We looked at a lot of pics of original air cleaners and came to the conclusion that the Plymouths USUALLY came with the non wrinkle paint and the Dodges USUALLY came with wrinkle.

Of course this is Ma Mopar we are talking about, so it was not always one way or the other. But, the hi performance Plymouths had the smooth paint on the air cleaner a lot more often than they had the wrinkle. And the HP Dodges had the wrinkle a lot more often than the smooth.

My 71 440 powered GTX had the original unmolested air cleaner on it and it had the smooth finish.

Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: 71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black? - 05/23/13 05:10 PM

Cool, thanks for your input. I'll keep it as is, never knew this. A few things have been messed with in this engine bay but for the most part it's pretty original. You can still see the orange paint on the ears of the manifold and the nuts. The car even had the original exhaust on it still.
Posted By: EV2CUDA

Re: 71 cuda air cleaner textured or gloss black? - 05/25/13 12:55 AM

Harley davidson wrinkle paint is a good match. Do it out in the hot sun and it will wrinkle up nicely.
© 2024 Moparts Forums