Moparts

69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating?

Posted By: Anonymous

69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 12:53 PM

Well, this is certainly a weird one for me. We just got a 69 GTX convertible and although the fender tag is not coded for factory under coating, the under carriage of the car is under coated like the factory would have done. Where the seat mounting stud areas are there is a clear area where the 1" masking tape covering the holes were. It also appears that the undercoating was applied from the middle of the car being shot outwards to the outside of the car due to the coverage pattern. Could the factory have put undercoating on a car and not had it coded on the fender tag? The under carriage of this car is totally untouched or unrestored and we are taking many, many pics of all the inspection marks that we have come across when we are degreasing it all.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 01:19 PM

organasol

the stripe is about 1" to maybe 1.5" below the moulding. basically just below the body line.
if I remember right the white tape was reflective and the red was not. ( and were the only 2 colors avail btw )

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 01:48 PM

ugh. So originally it was that light textured stuff like on the back of the tail panel of my charger. Thats going to be fun trying to keep clean.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 02:54 PM

Undercoating would not show up on a fender tag. Does it have the under hood insulation?

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 03:51 PM

It does not have the under hood insulation however, after 40+ years, it could have deteriorated and gotten pulled down and tossed. The glove box did have a couple of the metal hood insulation clips in it though when we got the car so it is very possible that it had it originally. I can't see why the clips would have been there if it never had it on the car.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 05:36 PM

Typically if it had factory undercoating/sound deadener it would have had the underhood insulation. Air Grabber cars excepted. Most of the cars I do here in good old NY have factory undercoat.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 06:16 PM

Quote:

Well, this is certainly a weird one for me. We just got a 69 GTX convertible and although the fender tag is not coded for factory under coating....

1) Not all options were listed on the tag. The BS or window sticker is a much better indication of options. "Generally" options that require some sort of body in white modification, like holes punched in the firewall, are listed. Examples include things like A/C, radio, a tach, Air grabber. For the most part, more cosmetic or convenience items, like undercoating, floor mats, etc are generally not coded especially during that era of tag.

2) What was coded varied by plant, year and even time of year. Some years and plants list more, some list less.
Posted By: drmopar

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 06:22 PM

Any pics? Sounds like a cool car!

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 08:34 PM

I took some pics of the under carriage today while at my parents. I will try and get them resized and post them in the next day or two.

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 08:42 PM

Quote:

Typically if it had factory undercoating/sound deadener it would have had the underhood insulation. Air Grabber cars excepted. Most of the cars I do here in good old NY have factory undercoat.

This was an Oregon car originally. Has all of its original sheet metal, original glass, and numbers matching drive train too!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, this is certainly a weird one for me. We just got a 69 GTX convertible and although the fender tag is not coded for factory under coating....

1) Not all options were listed on the tag. The BS or window sticker is a much better indication of options. "Generally" options that require some sort of body in white modification, like holes punched in the firewall, are listed. Examples include things like A/C, radio, a tach, Air grabber. For the most part, more cosmetic or convenience items, like undercoating, floor mats, etc are generally not coded especially during that era of tag. Typically, a 67 B body tag would not list undercoating.

2) What was coded varied by plant, year and even time of year. Some years and plants list more, some list less.

What he said , can't say I have ever seen sound deadening coded on a fendertag , but I have not seen EVERY tag made

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/16/13 09:46 PM

I was always led to believe that a factory undercoated car would have had it on the fender tag. Oh well, I guess you learn something new everyday!

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 01:21 AM

Sometimes the undercoating was included in a group like A04 or A05 depending on the year, make, plant, etc.

As a stand alone J55 option on a tag...I don't know if I've seen it either. I'll have to keep checking.
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 01:30 AM

Quote:

Sometimes the undercoating was included in a group like A04 or A05 depending on the year, make, plant, etc.

As a stand alone J55 option on a tag...I don't know if I've seen it either. I'll have to keep checking.

My 69 500 convertible is an A05 car, hood pad, front and rear bumper guards and undercoating

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 05:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My 69 500 convertible is an A05 car, hood pad, front and rear bumper guards and undercoating

Is A05 on the tag ?

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 11:57 AM

Quote:

Any pics? Sounds like a cool car!

Here's the pic of the outside of the car. The hood stripes are not original to the car as it is not coded on the fender tag and it is also NOT an air grabber hood. The red inserts will be repainted to the correct black.

Attached picture 7708912-14047502-770-0.jpg

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 12:00 PM

pic of undercarriage which I think is factory undercoating.

Attached picture 7708914-102_5224.JPG

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 12:02 PM

another

Attached picture 7708916-102_5251.JPG

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 12:14 PM

Does the car code for A05? If yes, then the undercoating was included in the package.

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 12:21 PM

no just A01 and A04

Attached picture 7708924-fendertag-vin.jpg

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 03:06 PM

Wouldn't the seats have already been in the car when the undercoating was applied , that was an operation I thought that was done when the car was pretty much fully assembled ? If this is the case that strip of tape on the floor wouldn't be like that ... but plants vary I guess as to when what was done ?

I remember a reference resto that was reundercoated , when the car was originally documented the seat bolts protruding thru the floor were wrapped with masking tape ?

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 03:12 PM

John,

Its hard to say. The way that this car seems to have been done was that the undercoating was done prior to ceratain things being installed such as suspension and drive line. The axle bumps appear to have been installed prior to the undercoating as there is undercoating on them. The drive shaft hump also has undercoating completely on it also. The hangers and shackle areas appear to also have either been taped off or had some kind of template on it to prevent the undercoating from getting onto those mounting areas. I will try to post more pics of these areas if I don't have to resize them.

Attached picture 7709053-102_5256.JPG

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 03:12 PM

axle bumper

Attached picture 7709054-102_5258.JPG

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 03:45 PM

JohnRR,

From what I have seen, the St. Louis cars had the undercoating applied prior to the interior being installed. This is why they would have taped off the holes to prevent any spray from getting inside the car. Probably similar to why they masked off the mounting areas for the suspension and other stuff so they could get proper torque and not have to worry about nuts or bolts loosening up causing a warranty issue down the road.

Attached picture 7709097-102_5273.JPG

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 03:49 PM

another undercoating pic. Im guessing this is where it was on a cradle or some point of holding the body since there is a similar area on the opposite side.

Attached picture 7709104-102_5282-1.jpg

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/17/13 03:56 PM

another pic of the hanger mounting area.

Attached picture 7709110-102_5265.JPG
Posted By: MRVCODE

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/19/13 06:01 PM

Great car and color combo Brian! best of luck.

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/19/13 07:21 PM

Thanks, John!

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I
Is A05 on the tag ?

John, my tag is long gone, but this car/tag is one vin after my 500 and other than colors is optioned almost exactly like my car. AO5 is on this tag so I can with reasonable certainty assume it should be on my tag too.

Attached picture 7715126-image.jpg

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 05:27 PM

Quote:

another undercoating pic. Im guessing this is where it was on a cradle or some point of holding the body since there is a similar area on the opposite side.

I don't think that's factory undercoating, it looks nothing like how my car looked and its from the same plant and time period

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 06:11 PM

Hard to say. Maybe it was applied by someone who was covering for someone on break? The undercoating is the same appearance and consistency as the rest of it. It is weird though as it has a similar pattern of coverage on the opposite side as well.

One thing I have learned is that each car is unique as to how it was assembled and to never say never when it comes to Mopar!

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Hard to say. Maybe it was applied by someone who was covering for someone on break? The undercoating is the same appearance and consistency as the rest of it. It is weird though as it has a similar pattern of coverage on the opposite side as well.

One thing I have learned is that each car is unique as to how it was assembled and to never say never when it comes to Mopar!

Is there any undercoating behind the gas tank or overspray on the tank?

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 07:22 PM

There is either undercoating on the front part of the tank up by the sending unit or it is just very dirty and greasy. I seem to recall that there was undercoating on the top sides of the tank but I don't have the car in front of me to double check. Here are the pics I took the last time I was at dads house.

Attached picture 7715224-102_5263.JPG

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 07:23 PM

another one

Attached picture 7715225-102_5264.JPG
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 08:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that's factory undercoating, it looks nothing like how my car looked and its from the same plant and time period

I gotta agree. I don't think that is undercoating just dirt and crud that gets on there over the years. It isn't thick enough and in the right places to be factory undercoating.

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 08:56 PM

I wonder where the body would have been supported during the application of the under coating at the factory?

I also highly doubt that dirt and grime will leave an almost perfect shape like that. I still think it is factory under coating and a cardboard template was used or something was blocking out that area for a reason. If it was grime or dirt, I would imagine that it would come off fairly easily with digging my finger nail into it unlike the undercoating would. But again, I am no expert on this. I am just going by observation and taking into account the other areas that were taped off or covered up while the undercoating was applied, similar to the areas where the leaf springs mounted up to.

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 09:15 PM

inside of the front rail on the pass side. outer side of rail has a similar shape to it just as the driver side does!

Attached picture 7715378-102_5274-1.jpg

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/22/13 09:16 PM

spray pattern was definitely from under the car

Attached picture 7715381-102_5275-1.jpg

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/23/13 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I gotta agree. I don't think that is undercoating just dirt and crud that gets on there over the years. It isn't thick enough and in the right places to be factory undercoating.

I think it's dealer or aftermarket undercoating, not factory, with no A05 on tag or build sheet to back up claim and the way it looks compared to my car it's just not factory IMO .

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/23/13 01:35 AM

I dont know if this will help, this is before I removed the undercoating, I think this is after I pressure washed it

Attached picture 7715676-CCI05222013_0001.jpg

Re: 69 GTX convert w/ factory undercoating? - 05/23/13 01:58 AM

Hi AZ A12,

thanks for posting a pic of your car. I notice the same areas on mine are bare on that pic just in front of where the cross piece is on the front rails. I would imagine that if your car was a St. Louis plant car, it would have the same characteristics just as your undercarriage is showing with mine especially in that one particular area. Were your spring perch areas also bare around where it would have been mounted up to?

I am now 100% convinced that our car is a factory under coated car as confirmed from multiple sources and references. I know the texture and thickness of the factory applied undercoating is fairly unique due to the pressure and system they had from applying it. I have even taken pictures down to the local Ziebart place and they said that there is no way they could get it that thick and lumpy even if they had to try and replicate it for me. The guy there who has been around at that shop for 40 years also told me that what we had was factory. Someone who applies this stuff I would imagine would know the difference between things like this. It also has the same texture and appearance as what the wheel wells of my charger does. Again, showing that it is factory.
© 2024 Moparts Forums