Moparts

Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!!

Posted By: 68jim

Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/01/08 09:08 PM

I got my carbs back from Scott last week and installed them over the Holiday weekend. I must say...they look maaarvelous!! Can't wait to fire the pig up!

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

Attached picture 4851139-PB300437a.JPG
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/01/08 09:28 PM

Big deal, the three sets he did for me look at least that good and ran just as well.

Good job Scott!
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/01/08 11:12 PM

Very nice. Scott, do you have time to do the carb on my Dart?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/01/08 11:23 PM

Sure Ron, send it on up!

Thanks for the compliments and your business Jim (you too Mike), let me know how the fire up goes!

*Nice engine detailing BTW!
Posted By: 383man

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/02/08 01:42 AM

Very nice indeed. Ron
Posted By: BarrsRestoration

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/02/08 02:42 AM

Quote:

I got my carbs back from Scott last week and installed them over the Holiday weekend. I must say...they look maaarvelous!! Can't wait to fire the pig up!

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

Looks nice, Jim.
We're going to need video of that New Year's Eve burnout you promised.
Or at at least a scanned copy of the ticket!
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/04/08 08:41 PM

Scott restored my 68 440 4 speed avs carb. It is nothing short of stunning! Thanks Scott!!
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/04/08 08:57 PM

They look GREAT !!!!!!

Wish I had the disposable greenbacks to ship them off to Scott... Maybe if I sell a rimblow and/or something else.........

It would be the added touch.......... Jim, where did you get your race hemi orange paint? That is race hemi and not street hemi since it's a '68..
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 01:21 PM

Troy,

This is the "early" street hemi paint. I bought a quart from Frank Badelson. I have a few parts from the original motor (intake, water pump housing, neg battery cable etc.) and it was a spot-on match to the color. Years ago I first painted the motor with rattle can paint from Mopar Performance and while it looked nice it was most definitely the wrong shade. I stripped all the paint off the motor earlier this year and shot it again with a paint gun and it turned out really nice!

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

Attached picture 4858698-DCP02630.JPG
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 01:37 PM

Quote:

Troy,

This is the "early" street hemi paint. I bought a quart from Frank Badelson. I have a few parts from the original motor (intake, water pump housing, neg battery cable etc.) and it was a spot-on match to the color. Years ago I first painted the motor with rattle can paint from Mopar Performance and while it looked nice it was most definitely the wrong shade. I stripped all the paint off the motor earlier this year and shot it again with a paint gun and it turned out really nice!

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

Sweet... I wonder if the race Hemi orange you can get now from MaMopar is any good. I don't have an air compressor or spray guns, so I have to make due. That money can go to something else on the restoration. I still have to put a final coat of paint on the motor before I finally connect it to the dolly.....

Looks great by the way..............

Troy
68 Hemi Charger R/T
Posted By: Troy

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 03:53 PM

Don't want to go off topic but to know more about the paint, go here:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post4840599

Race Hemi paint was only used on Race Hemis and the 426 Max Wedge engines.

Scott, very nice looking carbs, good job.

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 04:19 PM

Thank you Troy, I appreciate the compliments, they look quite different without a flash BTW, here's a shot of the same carbs before I shipped them in natural light.

Here's my opinion on engine paint. I really don't want to start a debate on Moparts over this, please take it for what it's worth, my opinion.

There was no "Early" or "Late" Street Hemi Orange. There was only "Race Hemi" and "Street Hemi" orange.

Race Hemi Orange was used on all Max Wedges and Hemi's (Race & Street) well into, if not completely through 1968 production. The color was reformulated and became "Street Hemi" orange from (possibly late 1968) and on.

What I think has added allot of confusion to this scenario is that even though the same formula was used, paint shading varied amoung both colors from batch to batch and plant to plant during production. Restoration pioneers like Roger Gibson, and recent arrivals like Dave Walden, took note and special care to have color matches done to surviving original paint examples that they had and found that none of thier matches quite matched currently available (call it reproduction if you will) Race or Street Hemi Orange paints, or paints that they had mixed using original formulas. This could be attributed to many things like modern paint componants, or small environmental factors that can factor into paint shading. Anyway, the bottom line is that exact matching an original sample is certainly "correct" and acceptable, that doesn't mean that one original sample is now the new standard, it just means it's right for that particular engine. Franks "Eary Street Hemi Orange" is correct appearing because it's basically just one possible shade of "Race Hemi" orange that he matched from an original surviving car (Cora's mauve 66 Hemi Charger I believe). Same goes for Dave's 440 "Street Hemi" orange painted 440.

Attached picture 4858996-WebsiteAfterHemiCarbs.jpg
Posted By: Firepowerflyer

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 04:42 PM

I talked to Scott yesterday about my AVS for my 69 GTX.It's in the box as we speak,just have to drop off to ship.
Joe

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 04:57 PM

Thanks Joe! I'll take goo care of it

*Thanks to you as well Mr. Pepin!
Posted By: ECS

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 05:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you Troy, I appreciate the compliments, they look quite different without a flash BTW, here's a shot of the same carbs before I shippied them in natural light.

Flash or not Scott, those carbs look absolutely perfect! Great job. Beautiful (original looking) aluminum finish.

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 05:12 PM

Comming from a guy like you that means allot Dave, thank you!
Posted By: Troy

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 05:46 PM

I was thinking the same thing....
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Its how you look...and these look maaaarvelous!!! - 12/05/08 05:57 PM

Give it a break already, Scott does an over the top better than you expected job on carbs. So what.

Scott, can you hear me? I'm whispering, I have a 4th set on the way to you right now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums