Moparts

70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation

Posted By: mopar70rtse

70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 04/25/13 05:54 PM

Anyone have any pictures of roof rail trim and weatherstriping for 70 challenger. I'm getting ready to insatll and after almost 2 years I can't remember how to install. I took pictures when tearing down the car, but I didn't take any pics of roof rail trim and weatherstrip.
Any pictures or somewhere on line that might have installation details would be great.

Thanks,
Gabe
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: 70 chllenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 04/25/13 07:09 PM

I was in the same spot. I have my RT partially disasembled. I will try to take some pics soon and post them for you. May take a day or so. If anyone can help sooner?
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 70 chllenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 04/26/13 01:33 AM

You install the drip rail molding piece first, put in the screws. Install the weatherstrip trim pieces, screw them in place. Then the weather strip. Put a screw in the front hole of the weather strip and work your way back. Push the bottom in place then the top... not much to it really.

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 04/26/13 12:11 PM

Thanks to both of you.
Pictures would still be nice.
Silver70, I also have a roll of some foam or some type of sealer that also goes on at the roof rail. Does this go on the back side of the drip rail molding before screwing in?

Thanks Again
Can always count on help from everyone on this forum.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 04/26/13 01:57 PM

It's been a while since I did mine, I do have another car apart that I could take more pictures of if need be.

These may or may not help you.

I used regular hardware store stick on weather stripping. It was a little thicker than original I think? But it compressed down with no problem.

There are very specfic screws that must be used. I can get more pictures if you need them as I have a car apart right now.

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 04/26/13 04:13 PM

Those pictures are great.
I'm getting old (LOL), more pictures would really help

Thanks again
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 04/29/13 03:12 AM

How I stored them with the hardware bagged and tagged.

Screws for the stainless.

Screws for the weather stripping track.
Posted By: S&J Butler

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 05/02/13 07:48 PM

Does anybody make those screws for the stainless pieces? The drip rails were already out of my challenger when I bought it and the screws are missing. I bought new screws for the weatherstrip channel. Also, is there a piece of "foam" of some type that goes between the stainless and the body itself?
Posted By: 71TA

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 05/02/13 11:17 PM

Some yahoo sell rols of the single side adhesive back foam tape that goes between the stainless drip rail and the body. Also in the kit is the black plasticy,1/8"T x 7/8"W polyurethane foam strips that go between the galvanized weatherstrip channel and the stainless drip rail. These pieces can be held on with a couple dabs of weatherstrip adhesive just req'd for installation. Factory may have used some kind of adhesive (adhesive backing?) but was just an assembly line aid.

Attached picture 7691770-drip.JPG
Posted By: jt4406

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 05/03/13 12:05 AM

I used "Some yahoo"'s roofrail trough sealing kit on my car, fit perfectly and duplicated the original I removed from it perfectly. I highly recommend his stuff (71TA).
jess
Posted By: S&J Butler

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 05/03/13 12:32 AM

Does anybody have a link for these? Also still wondering about the screws.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 05/03/13 12:38 AM

drip rail rolls

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 06/07/13 07:50 PM

AMK Products might sell those screws. I need them also and I thought I saw them, I just need to know what size they are to compare what AMK has.

If anyone knows for sure where to get these screws, I'd like to know also.

Thanks
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 06/07/13 07:53 PM

I don't remember 100% but I think the screws are a #8 x 1/2" washer head screw. avail thru most hardware suppliers

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 06/09/13 12:17 AM

Thanks for the great Pics.

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 06/09/13 12:19 AM

Thanks
Posted By: cv70chall

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 06/10/13 05:40 PM

I'm getting ready to do this myself and have no idea how this comes apart. How do you get the foam/ rubber section out to get to the rails? Does it simply pry out?
I have to replace both sides-as water is getting in along the top edge of both- not to mention that a section of the outer foam area is missing on the driver's side.
ANY instruction would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: 70 challenger roof rail weatherstrip installation - 06/12/13 12:14 PM

I might be wrong, it's been a long time since I removed, that's why I can't remember how to put back together. Anyway's you should be able to just pull the weatherstrip off. can't remember if any screws in weather strip. I think down at the end. Under the weather stripis the screws for trim. The thin weather strip on the back of the trim (at least mine was) is glued on. I do remember just peeling it and whatever was still stuck on, I just kinda worked with it until it was all cleaned up.
BTW: Where in Florida you from? I also live in Florida.
© 2024 Moparts Forums