Moparts

AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body

Posted By: domingo

AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/26/08 01:04 AM

Hi.

Im about to buy several sheetmetal sections for E Bodies.

I was wondering how the quality compares between Goodmark and AMD.

Im not talking here about the older Goodmark sheetmetal repair sections, like the partial floor pans, quarter skings and 2 piece trunk floors. I know those old ones were pretty bad, with non crisp stampings, the floor pans and 2 piece trunk floor pans were horrible with very shallow stampings, all the ribbing on the floor pans were weak and not as deep as original.

However, I just purchased some Goodmark Cuda and Challenger full quarter panels and although not perfect, they are OK in my book and needed some adjutsing to fit right and maybe a little work to appear as crisp as the original parts, but they are definetly useable when you have an ABSOLUTELY TRASHED original quarter panel. If the original quarter panel is still good and only rusted or dented on isoltaed spots, I would defnitenly reccomend drilling out teh spot welds on the ropiginal taking it off the car,`performing the necessary repairs and hanging it back on.

Now on the Good mark full trunk floor pans, they are a HUGE improvement over the old 2 piece units. Id say they are very nice, a lot crisper and the ribbing stamped a lot deeper....but not quite as deep or crisp as original. Id say they got it 93% exact.

I havent seend the full E Body passenger compartment floor pans from Goodmark, but I suspect the quality might be just the same as their one piece trunk floors. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF SOMEBODY KNOWS ABOUT THIS FOR SURE.

I have never held any AMD sheetmetal replacement parts in my hands. Id like to know how do their full Challenger and cuda quarter panels compare to the GOodmark units.

Also, Id like to know about the quality of the full trunk floors and full passenger compartment floors that AMD sells....and how do they compare to the Goodmark units.

Thanks and please let me know since >IM about to buy a bunch of sheetmetal parts for E Bodies-
Posted By: TiMopar

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/27/08 12:08 PM

I just replied to a similar thread on the Q&A. If you are looking for a one piece floor for a 70 Cuda, the Goodmark floor has the access holes for the shock towers in the wrong place. The AMD part is year specific with the holes in the right place...

Attached picture 4841775-catspnning_001.gif
Posted By: CHALLENGER_KEN

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/27/08 01:18 PM

AMD is 10 times better then Goodmark!!!
Ken
Posted By: stickman

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/27/08 05:43 PM

I bought some goodmark metal & it wasn`t even
close on fit. Called them & they said so. Called
amd & was told it would fit. Bought them & they
are dead on. I will not spend another dime with
goodmark. Amd is the only way to go in my opinion.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/27/08 06:19 PM

Quote:

I bought some goodmark metal & it wasn`t even
close on fit. Called them & they said so. Called
amd & was told it would fit. Bought them & they
are dead on. I will not spend another dime with
goodmark. Amd is the only way to go in my opinion.

I have some of the first run of the Goodmark full challenger Quarters how are they compaired to the new AMD?Any problems?
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/27/08 09:56 PM

Can't help you with the Challenger, but I have the Cuda quarters (73) and they fit real well. I cannot see the difference between the factory and the Goodmarks. The gauge of the metal is a slightly thinner on the Goodmarks but in general, they look just fine.
Craig

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/27/08 11:58 PM

Quote:

Can't help you with the Challenger, but I have the Cuda quarters (73) and they fit real well. I cannot see the difference between the factory and the Goodmarks. The gauge of the metal is a slightly thinner on the Goodmarks but in general, they look just fine.
Craig

I thought I saw a quote that they were a little thicker than the org.
Posted By: cheech9898

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 01:39 AM

I had done a post awhile back about the AMD pieces I had gotten for my 74 barracuda. Pic's are still up here on photobucket

Everything looked good, inner wheelhouses mated w/ the 1 piece trunk floor very well when held together. Rear deck filler pannel was spot on in width. I had no grinding marks or waves on my AMD quarters and on several forums it was posted the oblong holes for the quarter window wiskers/felts were too high on the goodmarks resulting in noticeable gap. I measured the distance from the top edge to those holes on my car, then measured the AMD pieces, and all the holes were the same distance or slightly lower so I if anything I may have to file the top edge of the hole some to get the felts to fit if they're too tight.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:21 PM

This is from a PM I got:
I bought the goodmark
quarters,outer wheel house & trunk ext. The
quarters seem to fit ok. The outer wheel house wasn`t even close. The quarter was 1/2 inch from
meeting the rocker. The trunk ext needed a lot
of work. I bought AMD outer wheel houses & they
are dead on. I am going to buy the trunk ext from amd when I get that far. It appears that the amd
stuff requires a lot less work. I don`t think I
will ever buy from goodmark again.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:35 PM

I used the goodmrak quarter panels, the outer wheel houses and the trunk floor extensions.

I think they all fit fairly well.

The outer wheel houses and trunk floor extensions did need a little bit of adjustments for them to making fit the quarter panels snugly, but it really wasnt a big deal. I guess that if you have ZERO bodywork abbilituies it might prove a hassle, but to anybody who has marginal bodywork skills its a piece of cake.

What I could see though is well, that the trunk floor extensions are not crisp stampings...they have the "washed off" look. The ribs are not crisp and deep, they are shallow, that would be my only compaint really.

On the quarter panels, I could see that the stamping for the "fuel" gas lid on the pass side quarter panel leaves a lot to be desired. I dont know if the AMD Challenger quarters are better in that respect than the Goodmarks. I had to work on that section to make it look original.

Also, the overall contour of the quarter panel from the center bodyline towards the upper part of the quarter panel was a lot flatter on the Goodmark than on my MINT ORIGINAL quarter panel on my oruiginal paint 70 Challneger. I used a profile comparator and it was not even close, and you can spot it when its on the car if you are familiar with the Challenger's body lines and have seen MINT Challenger bodies b4. I had to fix that and after that it looked pretty much like an original quarter, but to be perfect, or at least close to it....they do need some work.

I havent paid attention to the oval holes for the window felts, but nopw that you've brought that up I will go back and take a look.

I wonder how the profiles and contours on an AMD quarter compare to an original quarter, and how do the stamping for the gas cap looks.

I also have 70-71 cuda goodmark quarter panels but have nopt installed them yet...IM getting a mint 71 cuda body shell soon, so Ill be able to post here what are the shortcomings of the cuda goodmark quarters.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:44 PM

Oh...and about the Challenger deck filler from Goodmark....I think it's OK...but I had to adjust the ends cause I dont remember if it was too wide, or if it was too narrow....

Then again, I think it's minor and I would not blame that to it being off....since these cars got assembled with pretty loose tolerances I guess that what may be too narrow for a particular car may be OK for the another one, so all in all, I think that the deck filler from Goodmark is OK.

Oh I also got a Challenger trunk lid from Goodmark. On this part I think it's OK to use it but only if you dont have access to a nice original trunk lid. The Goodmark trunk lid is a bit wavy, the underbracing is kinda cheesy, the edges for the undebrace holes are wavy and the edges are sometimes sharp, seems like when they assembled the 2 pieces together they banged the underbrace witha rubber mallet or something so it has quite a few dents that will need to be smoothed out with body filler, the skin flanges that wrap around the undebrace are not even and towards the corners they kinda splayed so I had to but a straigh edge on the borders of the trunk lid and where it was not straight and square (like I said, specially towards the corner, I had to heat up and bodywork it so I would make em nice and square). Next time Ill just go on and try to find a clean original trunk lid.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:48 PM

Here is the 72 340 4 speed Ev2 black guts AC car thats having all the body done.

Attached picture 4844039-007(2).JPG

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:49 PM

Attached picture 4844043-challenger340ev2025.JPG

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:50 PM

Attached picture 4844045-023.JPG

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:51 PM

Attached picture 4844048-022(2).JPG

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:56 PM

Here is the original roof skin, I preffered to take it out, patch it up, bodywork it and reintall it rather than getting a repro. I believe that anytime when this can be done to an original part its better than getting a repro part. I advice only to get repro parts when the original panel is really totally trashed.

Attached picture 4844066-019.JPG

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:57 PM

patch on the front edge of the roof skin

Attached picture 4844071-017.JPG

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 07:58 PM

more

Attached picture 4844078-022.JPG

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 08:01 PM

one more

Attached picture 4844096-challenger340ev2017.JPG
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 08:45 PM

About the problem with the fuel cap, that area is covered with the flip top but I did have to notch the 4 corners of the flip to cap housing to get a flush fit. This took all of 5 min and the housing fit perfect. Did you notice the body line around the wheel well on the Goodmark quarters ?? The line fades out on the top of the wheelwell. That line is way crisper on orig panels. The front fenders by Goodmark for the Challenger have this same problem. I have seen the AMD Challenger quarters at Carlisle and they looked better IMHO.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 09:23 PM

Domingo were they Goodmark full quarter panels or the older skins? I know they had a problem with the skins at the gas cap area.
Sorry I just saw the pics I am on dail up and never waited to see the pics I see your are full quaters now.
so you had to elongate the holes in the cap or the quater?

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 09:59 PM

Yes the lines on the Goodmark quarter all around the wheel well are not as crisp as the originals....thats true as well....but it is easily fixed....fo course It'd be a lot better if they did not need to be fixed!!

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 10:01 PM

Quote:

Domingo were they Goodmark full quarter panels or the older skins? I know they had a problem with the skins at the gas cap area.
Sorry I just saw the pics I am on dail up and never waited to see the pics I see your are full quaters now.

On the fuel cap stamping, overall its not right. Its not as crisp, nor as deep, and the holes are off. it needs to be fixed altogether. Its plain wrong. Its DEFINETLY the worst part on the whole panel.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 10:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

On the fuel cap stamping, overall its not right. Its not as crisp, nor as deep, and the holes are off. it needs to be fixed altogether. Its plain wrong. Its DEFINETLY the worst part on the whole panel.

Ok I thought it was just the skins and not the new full ones.That the skins were not deep enough. If it is on the full ones what can be done short of this?
I don't remeber who's pics these are? They posted these in another thread.

Attached picture 4844409-fuelfiller.jpg

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/28/08 10:48 PM

Sorry for the high jack
I already have the good mark full ones and need to make them work however that may be.I am already going top have to make the harp top ones work an a vert
Posted By: xs29j8

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/29/08 12:04 AM

Quote:

AMD is 10 times better then Goodmark!!!
Ken

My first AND LAST purchase from Goodmark was last Spring... Reproduction wheelhouses for my Charger 500. Several serious problems, like in the attached picture. Tried to get a refund, but only got insulted by a rude jerk on the phone...

I will NEVER buy anything from Goodmark Industries again!

XS

Attached picture 4844559-1969Charger500RestorationWHCompare001.jpg
Posted By: Lunchbox

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/29/08 08:38 AM

The AMD cowl for the Challenger was less the good either. There was several small problems such as drain holes in the wrong spot and dimples in the wrong place, but the windshield channel was bent very poorly.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/29/08 05:05 PM

Quote:

The AMD cowl for the Challenger was less the good either. There was several small problems such as drain holes in the wrong spot and dimples in the wrong place, but the windshield channel was bent very poorly.

I saw that thread on Cuda-challenger.com
how much did you have to bend the window chanel in a vise?
before and after pics would have been great
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/29/08 05:41 PM

Both AMD and Goodmark will have issues with the out of the box fit but AMD parts seem to have better overall quality. A good metalcrafter can make both fit but at $55-$85 per hr, I think I would use AMD parts on my next build.
Posted By: Lunchbox

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/30/08 07:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I saw thet thread on Cuda-challenger.com
how much did you have to bend the window chanel in a vise?
before and after pics would have been great

I never ended up using it. It was a pretty far off from the firewall. I thought about fixing it but it was quite the compund curve to get back in right.

I did put it on there and clamped it in all the appropriate places and the thing was all distorted to get the holes and edges to line up properly. I fixed my existing cowl and have it painted and ready to go on.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/30/08 08:35 PM

Like I said, if the original body panel is fixeable, Id definetly advice to take off the oruiginal body panel from the spot welds, fix it and then put it back on. It will definetly fit right and be more accurate.

In the end...the repro panels also need some fixing and massaging to be ready to install, so Id rather spend the time on an original body panel.

It only makes sense to use repro panels when the original panels are REAL JUNK.

BOTTOM LINE: By the looks of things seems that the AMD panels need less work than the Goodmark ones. The old Goodmark stuff is really bad in quality. The new full trunk floors, full quarter panels, etc. are OK but need some work, the AMD stuff seems to be slightly better.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 12/04/08 08:29 PM

Do either the AMD or Goodmark quarters have the rain gutter/trunk seal area as a part of their complete quarters? Or is this a separate item that has to be bought and attached to the quarter? I am interested in E and B body offerings.
Posted By: cheech9898

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 12/04/08 10:38 PM

The the trunk side gutter/rail areas are separate pieces
Posted By: lxebody

Flip Top Gas Cap does N OT fit - 11/08/09 03:21 PM

Quote:

About the problem with the fuel cap, that area is covered with the flip top but I did have to notch the 4 corners of the flip to cap housing to get a flush fit. This took all of 5 min and the housing fit perfect.

I bought the Flip Top Gas Cap for my 1970 Challenger and today I am trying to install it.
I bought the $125 complete set - The flip top cap,Trim ring and Screw set.

I am stumped because it just does not fit. It is as though the diameter of the Cutout where the current standard type Twist on Gas cap is slightly too small.

Could this be because my car has one of these goodmark fenders you are all talking about?

I bought this car in about a 90% restored condition several months ago from a person who had to sell the car. I am finishing the restoration as well as jazzing the car up with such things as re-uphosltering the seats in White (currently the interior is all Black), stripes,etc.

This Flip Top Gas Cap should have been a simple job but I can not figure out why it doies not fit.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thank You
Posted By: jake71

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:17 PM

This is some of the work required to get the lid to quarter gap decent on Goodmark full quarters. The line went about 9/16" out of whack as it went toward the dutchman panel. Other side had the same problem just not as drastic. Passenger fit everywhere else pretty decent but the driver was actually a little "tall" from the body line going down. The top was pretty good for height. Both sides needed some massaging at the rear valnce mounting points.
As for the trunk pan and extensions, they went in very nicely. Everything lined up with minimal effort and I was very pleased with them.
I replaced the front floor also with goodmark and it "fell" into place like factory. Very pleased with that.
Bought rear footwell pans and they turned out to be not correct for 70 model year. They advertised them 70-74 but the seat belt brackets were in the wrong place and they in general not the right shape. When I called about this, they told me they will fit and essentially eat it. So I ordered AMD pans and they were correct but the passenger side seat belt bracket was a little too far forward and the bottom of the pan where it curves up to the rocker was a very bad line, curvy and the bend started too early.
The trunk lid (AMD) is a very nice piece. It is very square and will take minimal effort to get ready for paint.
Also both full quarters need sectioned at the door jam to get a nice gap. Would reccomend leaving factory quarter piece welded to jamb and butt cut and butt weld new quarter to it.
After the amount of work it took to fix the quarters, I would very worried about what it might take to get their fenders to look right.
Hope this helps.
Jake

Attached picture 5592887-quarterrepair.jpg

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:18 PM

Another

Attached picture 5592889-quarterrepair2.jpg

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:35 PM

Here's one of the dutchman after taking about a 1/2" off each side and making new ends with the Harbor Freght shrinker/stretcher.

Attached picture 5592925-Dutchmanrepair.jpg

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:36 PM

Another.

Attached picture 5592927-Dutchmanrepair2.jpg

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:37 PM

And it fits now.

Attached picture 5592929-Dutchmanrepair3.jpg

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:38 PM

Quote:

This is some of the work required to get the lid to quarter gap decent on Goodmark full quarters. The line went about 9/16" out of whack as it went toward the dutchman panel. Other side had the same problem just not as drastic. Passenger fit everywhere else pretty decent but the driver was actually a little "tall" from the body line going down. The top was pretty good for height. Both sides needed some massaging at the rear valnce mounting points.
As for the trunk pan and extensions, they went in very nicely. Everything lined up with minimal effort and I was very pleased with them.
I replaced the front floor also with goodmark and it "fell" into place like factory. Very pleased with that.
Bought rear footwell pans and they turned out to be not correct for 70 model year. They advertised them 70-74 but the seat belt brackets were in the wrong place and they in general not the right shape. When I called about this, they told me they will fit and essentially eat it. So I ordered AMD pans and they were correct but the passenger side seat belt bracket was a little too far forward and the bottom of the pan where it curves up to the rocker was a very bad line, curvy and the bend started too early.
The trunk lid is a very nice piece. It is very square and will take minimal effort to get ready for paint.
Also both full quarters need sectioned at the door jam to get a nice gap. Would reccomend leaving factory quarter piece welded to jamb and butt cut and butt weld new quarter to it.
After the amount of work it took to fix the quarters, I would very worried about what it might take to get their fenders to look right.
Hope this helps.
Jake

I used the Goodmark quarters and I didnt have to modify them at all to make em fit nice. No need to cut or section like you did? I used the 72-74 syle.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rt=all&vc=1

I also used their deck filler panel which was too wide and I had to modify a bit at each end to make it narrower and align with the goodmark trunk lid as well.

I thought the goodmarke lid was JUNK. The quarters were OK as well as the deck filler which needed a minor mod. Also, the gas cap area is a problem area on the goodmarks as pointed above. I test fitted the flip top gas cap b4 paint and had to modify thta area a bit to make the flip top fit right.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:41 PM

Maybe there's a difference between the years or tooling dates? These were off far enogh that you could see the problem when they were laying on the floor.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:46 PM

Quote:

Maybe there's a difference between the years or tooling dates? These were off far enogh that you could see the problem when they were laying on the floor.

I bought my quarter panels just about 2 years ago.

The Goodmark trunk lid was JUNK imo. The skin was not welded to the inner brace. So it twisted when you opened and closed the lid and and shifted around and made it missaling. I had to spot weld the brace to the skin in order to make it more rigid and not twist but the grade of the sheemetal is way too soft or thinner or I dont know what it is, that when I put a few spots of MIg weld there on where the skin overlaps the brace the skin warped badly. And you know how Challenger trunk lid braces are completely shut so there is no way you can get anything under the brace in order to get rid of dents or waviness on the skin...what a pain. Also the edges of the lid were not straight. I say the Goodmnark Challenger lid is JUNK. I'll take an original that needs ruist repairs anytime.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 04:51 PM

I haven't seen a Goodmark lid. Mine was AMD. Iforgot to mention that but I edited it so as not to mislead anyone. Your Challenger looks great by the way. You took the hood apart? There's an idea. Mines pretty rusty inside also.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 05:00 PM

Yes I took the hood apart. Bodyworked the skin,..got rid of all the rust inside and welded it shut back up.

Yes, I thought it was strange that you were saying the Goodmark trunk lid was good. I can tell you it was CRAP. Now I have never tried an AMD lid. I willbuy one...all the stuf I have bought from AMD so far has been very nice.

Re: AMD vs GOODMARK sheetmetal E Body - 11/08/09 05:22 PM

That's a great way to make sure ya got all the rust out. I just went and looked at mine and I'm going to do that too. Thanks for the idea!
© 2024 Moparts Forums