Moparts

67 440 GTX Air Cleaner

Posted By: mopar4ya

67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/02/13 11:39 PM

Looking for information on how to identify an original 67 GTX / Coronet 440 air cleaner. Looking around on the net, it looks like there is no cut and dried answer. I have a dual snorkel unit that has the 13 ribs on the lid, and a nipple for a breather hose to connect to. The lid measures 3-1/2 inches high. Is this a correct unit for a 67? Looks like this one. http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner/67_440ds_04.jpg

Thanks
Dan
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/03/13 12:51 AM

Dan, It sounds like it. There are several. With and w/o clean air. The nipple ones are with clean air. I have a few here I'll out to the shop in few and measure the height but I think 3 1/2 sounds good.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/03/13 01:10 AM

The one for my 67 R/T measures 3 1/2 beers... I mean inches. It took me 3 1/2 beers to get out to the shop.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/03/13 02:14 AM

Holgar, 3 and half beers in 19 minutes..... plus getting that Daytona done in record time your my new hero! If you have any spares, let me know. Sounds like what I have is correct.

Thanks
Dan
Posted By: RalphsRapidTrnst

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/03/13 04:51 AM

Quote:

Looking for information on how to identify an original 67 GTX / Coronet 440 air cleaner. Looking around on the net, it looks like there is no cut and dried answer. I have a dual snorkel unit that has the 13 ribs on the lid, and a nipple for a breather hose to connect to. The lid measures 3-1/2 inches high. Is this a correct unit for a 67? Looks like this one. http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner/67_440ds_04.jpg

Thanks
Dan

Dan are looking for an auto or a 4spd air cleaner? They are different. Auto is dual snorkel. 4spd is unsilenced.
Posted By: Mopar_Mike

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/03/13 04:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
Dan

Dan are looking for an auto or a 4spd air cleaner? They are different. Auto is dual snorkel. 4spd is unsilenced.

That is incorrect.. Same Air-Cleaner either way..

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/04/13 02:16 AM

Ok, if my air cleaner looks like the one I posted above and it measures 3 1/2 inches high, what is it correct for??? Would it be correct on a non California automatic car?

Thanks
Dan.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/04/13 03:04 PM

Dan, It is right for all cleaner air package cars. R/T, GTX, & L code Chargers. Trans did not matter. C body ones look identical but are 1/4" or so higher.
Posted By: floridian

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/04/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
Dan

That is incorrect.. Same Air-Cleaner either way..

I agree that is incorrect.. One reason you need to be selective on who you take advice from.....

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/04/13 09:03 PM

Sorry boys you are incorrect. 4spd. car was unsilenced. auto was a dual snorkal. I have my original air cleaner for my 1967 4 spd car and it is a non snorkal air cleaner. Similar to the one found on a 1967 383 a-body.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/04/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

Is this a correct unit for a 67? Looks like this one. http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner/67_440ds_04.jpg

Thanks
Dan

This air cleaner is for a clean air package Auto. 1967 & early 1968
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/04/13 09:17 PM

I agree that is incorrect.. One reason you need to be selective on who you take advice from.....

I know of two original owner 4 speed cars, no special air cleaners on them, same as auto trans. Anyone who ever worked at a dealership know the changes that went on whenever they needed to.

Ralph, yours is the exception, not the rule.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/04/13 09:41 PM

Just giving you the info. do with it as you please. I know the 1967 GTX very well and am very familiar with this area.
Posted By: L7VERT

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/05/13 05:34 PM

My observation; depends on build date. Later 4-speed cars got the unsilenced housing. A friend's original R/T manual is unsilenced and carries a very late SBD. My CAP auto, with an early SBD has twin snorkles.
Again, just my observation and air cleaners are easy to change as someone already pointed out, but as many 4-speed cars with unsilenced cleaners that I've seen it sure would be one big coincedence.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/05/13 06:34 PM

What is the difference in a 67 GTX / R/T air cleaner and one used on a 67 C body 440 ??. The one I have the lid measures about 3 1/2 inches. I have had if about 30 years and was kinda thinking it came off of a C body wagon that I pulled a 440 from.

Dan

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/05/13 09:53 PM

Dan, The c body ones are about 1/4 inch higher.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/05/13 10:14 PM

Quote:

What is the difference in a 67 GTX / R/T air cleaner and one used on a 67 C body 440 ??. The one I have the lid measures about 3 1/2 inches. I have had if about 30 years and was kinda thinking it came off of a C body wagon that I pulled a 440 from.

Dan

Easy way to distinguise for reference, is that you'll find that on a C-body you cannot use the pie pan...center dome area is too tall.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/05/13 10:17 PM

Quote:

Easy way to distinguise for reference, is that you'll find that on a C-body you cannot put the pie pan on...center dome area is too tall.

I never knew that. I'll have to try it now.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/05/13 10:22 PM

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Dan
Posted By: MoparABE

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/05/13 10:44 PM

I'll have my brother check his car. Its original. I can't remember which one he has.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/06/13 09:42 PM

Coolest thing about a 67 4spd GTX & R/T with a 440 mill was Chrysler gave you everything that came with the Hemi but the Hemi. Unsilenced Air Cleaner, Dana, Dual point dist, Clutch fan. ETC. Very cool for the first model year.
Posted By: Mopar_Mike

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/26/13 01:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dan

Easy way to distinguise for reference, is that you'll find that on a C-body you cannot use the pie pan...center dome area is too tall.

Actually incorrect again... The only C-body dual snorkel air cleaner came on the TNT package, which had a pie tin. The diameter is the same.
As stated above the only difference between the B and C body is the height. C body is higher.

Also, no unsilenced air cleaners on 67 440 GTX's or R/Ts.. Ever.. lol..
Posted By: 696pack

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/26/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dan

Actually incorrect again... The only C-body dual snorkel air cleaner came on the TNT package, which had a pie tin. The diameter is the same.
As stated above the only difference between the B and C body is the height. C body is higher.

I had a similar discussion regarding air cleaners over at FBBO regarding the original one that came off my 66 Charger and you may want to take a look at the thread there. According to some original owners they were using the unsilenced air cleaner on big blocks earlier than 1967 models. See link below and you have to read into the thread for a ways as it started as a for sale ad.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?40277-1966-up-Mopar-383-4-air-cleaner
Posted By: floridian

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/26/13 05:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dan

I had a similar discussion regarding air cleaners over at FBBO regarding the original one that came off my 66 Charger and you may want to take a look at the thread there. According to some original owners they were using the unsilenced air cleaner on big blocks earlier than 1967 models. See link below and you have to read into the thread for a ways as it started as a for sale ad.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?40277-1966-up-Mopar-383-4-air-cleaner

The orignal question was for R/T's and GTX's... NOT big blocks or chargers.....
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 03/27/13 01:35 AM

Thought this might fit in well here.....

Attached picture 7642161-10_9_134.gif

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/01/13 07:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dan

The orignal question was for R/T's and GTX's... NOT big blocks or chargers .....

Yeah, well, understand this. The point is that things happened back in the day and they did not stop the production line because they were out of the air cleaner that was USUALLY installed so it would get what would fit. They could care less if it is making you scratch your head 40+ years later.

This is why there are always arguements from original owners about what was right and what is wrong because they never changed anything on their cars, but people think it is wrong because it does not match the norm. If it came from the factory that way then it is "as delivered." That doesn't necessarily mean that is the way the factory "intended" to send it out.

AND, if they were using the small un-silenced air cleaner in 66 what makes you think they didn't pop a few of them on the 67 GTX/R/Ts?

My comments ARE relative to this subject.
Posted By: 70mopes

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/01/13 05:41 PM

I have one of each. The shorter of the two uses a 5 inch carb hole on its base. I have owned one other short type dual snorkel and it too had the 5 inch carb hole in its base. In 67 some c bodies ran holly carbs which had the larger dia. The taller of the two 67 dual snorkels i have uses the smaller 4 1/8 carb hole in its base for AFB which is what the R/T's ran
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/01/13 06:07 PM

I have owned 4-67 Dart GTS 383 cars with the 17" unsilenced air cleaner and currently have one with the AFB base AND the AVS base. The AVS base came off of a 68 Charger with a 440. I have helped restore one 67 440 GTX 4-speed and the original owner still had the air cleaner, which was the 17" unsilensed. I have also helped restore a couple 67 440 GTX's with automatics and they had the dual snorkel air cleaners, so my guess is that Daryl is right...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/01/13 06:57 PM

67 GTX's had 2 style Air Cleaners, both were dual snorkel and niether was unsilenced. They were not transmission specific. One was spec'd for CAP (California emissions) and one was not. The only difference being that the CAP version had a small nipple protruding from the drivers side to allow a hose connection to the breather, the 49 state version did not have it. BTW, not all CAP versions were sold on California cars, some other states required CAP as well. If a 67 GTX has an unsilenced base plate (the smaller diameter unit that leaves a gap between the lid outer diameter and the base plate outer diameter) it was either swapped after the plant built it or it was a (very unlikely) production line mistake.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/01/13 11:20 PM

C'mon Scott, what you are saying is that Chrysler used 100% the right parts no matter what, you know better...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/01/13 11:57 PM

Quote:

C'mon Scott, what you are saying is that Chrysler used 100% the right parts no matter what, you know better...

Quote:

If a 67 GTX has an unsilenced base plate (the smaller diameter unit that leaves a gap between the lid outer diameter and the base plate outer diameter) it was either swapped after the plant built it or it was a (very unlikely) production line mistake.

Missed the my last part of my comment did ya?

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/03/13 12:57 AM

The great thing about owning the car and not the t-shirt is you get to do what ever you want with it. If you believe a 440 4spd did not come with an unsilenced air cleaner in 1967 on the GTX then you have the choice to do as you wish.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/03/13 02:12 AM

I know there are mistakes in the parts books. Is this one of them?

Attached picture 7652394-67_Air_Cleaner_Covers_edited_800.jpg
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/03/13 02:24 AM

I also know there are mistakes in the data books. Is this one of them?

Attached picture 7652415-67_Plymouth_commando_AC_800.jpg

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/03/13 04:01 AM

There is much more out there that validates 4Spd cars came unsilenced. I didn't believe it 23 years ago till I reserched the differences in the Auto and 4Spd. I am sure some came from the factory with a dual snorkel but that was not the way they were to be delivered.
Posted By: Beebuzzn

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/03/13 06:52 PM

I'll just add my and that is I had 2 1967 GTX's bought from original owners in 1975 & 1976 both 4spd. Both had dual snorkel air cleaners.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/03/13 07:14 PM

And another . I've owned/parted quite a few of these back in the day. All had dual snorkles and never have found one yet with a windage tray as the above publication announced for 4 speed cars. 67's are a breed apart.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/03/13 07:45 PM

While I would normally agree with Scott, I'm going to go ahead and agree with Ralph on this one. The first time someone told me they had the "4 speed air cleaner" on their '67 GTX I thought they were mistaken. However after hearing from several others that 4 speed cars came with unsilenced air cleaners with no snorkels I began to wonder.

My buddy Phil bought his '67 GTX brand new. PP1 red, black stripes, convertible, 4 speed, and it came with an un-silenced air cleaner. Could he be lying to me? Of course, but he has no reason to. I'll see if he has a picture of the engine when it was new lying around anywhere.

Not an early car either, he ordered it around February or March of '67. Pretty rare car too with the 4 speed being a vert.

Early on it was advertised that 4 speed cars were supposed to come with a special cam, same lift but 276/292 duration (sound familiar? If not read the early A12 adds) and was supposed to be rated at 390 horsepower. I didn't believe that either but Phil showed me the ad he had that was clearly advertising so.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/04/13 02:13 AM

My GTX's original drive train is in my basement. From air cleaner to windage trayed oil pan. When I pulled the original bearings out of it they were date coded 1967 I still have a couple of them.

Also the Unsilenced Air Cleaner was similar to my old Barracuda Formula S 383 4Spd but was different. They were not the same air cleaners.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/04/13 02:26 AM

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/04/13 07:29 PM

Quote:

My GTX's original drive train is in my basement. From air cleaner to windage trayed oil pan.
Quote:

Maybe a problem detected in Ralphs story. An oil pan with baffles spot welded inside is not called a windage tray. A windage tray is not part of the oil pan, it is a separate piece of metal with all the bolt holes for the oil pan going through it. The use of a windage tray requires 2 oil pan gaskets to seal it all up. see attached photo

Attached picture 7654423-1440windage.jpg

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/04/13 07:41 PM

The east coast guys say unsilenced air cleaner, the west coast guys say same dual snorkle as 727.

Question for the east coast folks, of the cars sold new on the east coast, where were they built? Lynch Road?

The west coast cars are mostly LA built cars, with some St. louis built, and all ragtops are St Louis. I've seen no Lynch Road 67 B-bodies out here that were sold here new. The Certicards will tell you this info, another benefit of 67's.

Maybe this is the reason for the difference in these air cleaners, even though the only difference the parts book shows is for C.A.P.

Attached picture 7654437-67tagearly.jpg

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/04/13 07:48 PM

Quote:

Coolest thing about a 67 4spd GTX & R/T with a 440 mill was Chrysler gave you everything that came with the Hemi but the Hemi. Unsilenced Air Cleaner, Dana, Dual point dist, Clutch fan. ETC. Very cool for the first model year.

Ralph, Your list is incomplete, do you have anythig esle to add?
Posted By: topside

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/05/13 01:44 AM

In the Ebay/CL/WIW section today is a '67 GTX in Central CA, with a nice photo of the air cleaner. Looks like a very (but not completely) original car, AT, dual snorkel.
Not that it's gonna settle the argument, just an FYI.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/05/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My GTX's original drive train is in my basement. From air cleaner to windage trayed oil pan.
Quote:

Maybe a problem detected in Ralphs story. An oil pan with baffles spot welded inside is not called a windage tray. A windage tray is not part of the oil pan, it is a separate piece of metal with all the bolt holes for the oil pan going through it. The use of a windage tray requires 2 oil pan gaskets to seal it all up. see attached photo

LOL It has a factory windage tray in it. Also has the splash baffle in the pan. But that came in all the 440 oil pans.

Quote:

Ralph, Your list is incomplete, do you have anythig esle to add?

Chrysler was and is still the best. When you got the hottest set up. Chrysler made sure you were king of the drag strip or what ever your Chrysler was engineered to do best. 440 4Spd cars in 1967 were set apart from the rest with added performance items found only on the Hemi in 1967.

Many still don't realize the differences in the models and how they changed with a simple drive train substitution.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/05/13 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Corrected wording-

My GTX's original drive train is in my basement. From air cleaner to windage tray and Oil pan.
Posted By: 1967GTX440

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/11/13 06:27 PM

I bought a 67 GTX new pick it up on Dec.1 1966 and the pie plate on the air cleaner said 440 Magnum.
Posted By: Beebuzzn

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/11/13 07:22 PM

Interesting, unless my memory is gone which I don't think both my 4spd 67 GTX's had 440 Super Commando pie plate on the dual snorkel air cleaner like the ad shows.

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/11/13 10:12 PM

Quote:

I bought a 67 GTX new pick it up on Dec.1 1966 and the pie plate on the air cleaner said 440 Magnum.

EXACTLY!! And the reason for a post I made earlier in this thread that I have copied below.

Yeah, well, understand this. The point is that things happened back in the day and they did not stop the production line because they were out of the air cleaner that was USUALLY installed so it would get what would fit. They could care less if it is making you scratch your head 40+ years later.

This is why there are always arguments from original owners about what was right and what is wrong because they never changed anything on their cars, but people think it is wrong because it does not match the norm. If it came from the factory that way then it is "as delivered." That doesn't necessarily mean that is the way the factory "intended" to send it out.

AND, if they were using the small un-silenced air cleaner in 66 what makes you think they didn't pop a few of them on the 67 GTX or R/Ts?
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/11/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

This is why there are always arguments from original owners about what was right and what is wrong because they never changed anything on their cars, but people think it is wrong because it does not match the norm. If it came from the factory that way then it is "as delivered." That doesn't necessarily mean that is the way the factory "intended" to send it out.

AND, if they were using the small un-silenced air cleaner in 66 what makes you think they didn't pop a few of them on the 67 GTX or R/Ts?

Absolutely spot-on...

And if you've ever worked in the plants, or have talked to someone who did, it's pretty much a given...

Production vs. 'restoration' is a dangerous game...
Posted By: MuscleMopars

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/11/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

There is much more out there that validates 4Spd cars came unsilenced. I didn't believe it 23 years ago till I reserched the differences in the Auto and 4Spd. I am sure some came from the factory with a dual snorkel but that was not the way they were to be delivered.

I have a friend that had an unrestored all original '67 GTX auto, A/C, and it had an unsilenced air cleaner and that was the original...

Attached picture 7664267-CIMG8049.JPG
Posted By: Jack Zupan

Re: 67 440 GTX Air Cleaner - 04/22/13 11:38 PM

I guess I am a little late to this party. I bought a 1967 GTX 4 speed brand new. I picked it up in December 1966 and drove it out of the dealers lot a week before Christmas. I had the dual snorkel non-CAP air cleaner that said 440 Super Commando on it. To finish up another post about the hemi parts on the 440 GTX, my car also had the 18 spline transmission and Dana 60 rear.
© 2024 Moparts Forums