Moparts

71 A -body bucket seat track restoration

Posted By: mopa

71 A -body bucket seat track restoration - 02/15/13 05:22 PM

I am trying to restore what I believe is a 70 or early 71 bucket seat track. It has a wire that controls the tracks and connects to each track. Can I soak the track in a rust remover that contains acid? I am concerned that the track may have nylon sliders inside but cannot see any. I am reluctant to blast them because I worry of sand getting into the sliders. Any help or expertise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 71 A -body bucket seat track restoration - 02/15/13 05:28 PM

I'd steam clean them to get off as much grease as possible, they are full of nooks and crannies when assembled. Then soak them in a good solvent such as laquer thinner or Acetone, you want to get them as grease free as possible. Then soak them in Evaporust Evaporust linky . It is not a metal killer like some acids, it ONLY removes the rust and won't harm the plastic parts at all. Rinse them off with more solvent (not water!) and then wipe them down with a good metal prep product like Ospho (Eastwood sells it) before painting them again. Factory paint was just a cheap gloss black, no primer.
Posted By: mopa

Re: 71 A -body bucket seat track restoration - 02/15/13 05:35 PM

Thanks Harms that sounds like the correct way to do it. I will proceed that way.
Posted By: CuriousYella70

Re: 71 A -body bucket seat track restoration - 02/15/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

I am trying to restore what I believe is a 70 or early 71 bucket seat track. It has a wire that controls the tracks and connects to each track. Can I soak the track in a rust remover that contains acid? I am concerned that the track may have nylon sliders inside but cannot see any. I am reluctant to blast them because I worry of sand getting into the sliders. Any help or expertise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Definitely don't sand blast them, I learned the hardway having to remove all of the sand from every nook and cranny - not fun!
Posted By: ademon

Re: 71 A -body bucket seat track restoration - 02/16/13 01:03 AM

Side note, 70 early 71 had the long button, late 71 smaller chrome button
© 2024 Moparts Forums