Moparts

70 cuda rear license plate frame color

Posted By: cudachas

70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/10/13 11:49 PM

The rear license plate frame on my cuda was painted flat black , is this correct?
Posted By: m46rat

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/11/13 12:55 AM

It was unpainted, it was bare metal finished in some kind of no longer available galvanizing. Someone on the board will chime in with a more accuarate description. But it was definitely unpainted.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/11/13 12:57 AM

It should just be galvanized.
http://www.moparaction.com/Article/Black_Gold/Epv0215.jpg

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/11/13 01:05 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a felling they were not painted. Will try to find something close to galvanize to paint it with. Thanks again,Charlie.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/11/13 01:11 AM

I'd try used a paint stripper on it. You might find that the original galvanizing is still in good shape...if it wasn't blasted off. You could coat it with RPM or spray a clear on it after that.
Posted By: cudaized

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/11/13 01:49 AM

Quote:

I'd try used a paint stripper on it. You might find that the original galvanizing is still in good shape...

Posted By: m46rat

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/11/13 04:20 PM

Quote:

I'd try used a paint stripper on it. You might find that the original galvanizing is still in good shape...if it wasn't blasted off. You could coat it with RPM or spray a clear on it after that.

If you use a paint stripper you will also remove or wreck the original galvanizing.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/11/13 05:14 PM

I have used aerosol paint stripper on all kinds of finishes and the original plating never got hurt......probably not near as aggressive as the really good strippers.....Um, I mean, paint removers...
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/11/13 06:07 PM

A couple paint removers I've used trying to preserve the underlying finish is Castrol Super Clean and brake fluid with decent results. How aggressive the stripper needs to be is very dependent on the material it was painted with.

But, If the original galvanized finish is toast.
You can get reasonably close with a paint finish called hammerite. I think it's a duplicolor rattle can spray (maybe krylon ???)
FYI, It takes some practice to obtain a mottled look. your mileage may vary.

Keep in mind if your going OE don't bother, as your not going to fool anyone it's correct. But to the casual observer it'll pass with flying colors.

Attached picture 7584262-B6A.JPG

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/13/13 12:16 AM

Thanks everyone. I glass beaded the frame already so it will have to be painted. Anyone use the galvanize paint from eastwood's?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/13/13 12:51 AM

Yes I have, don't look nothing like galvanized.

I think Eastwood Tank Tone looks better than their galvanized paint does. Try it I think you will like it, Tank Tone, but it don't look like galvanizing either.
Posted By: LemonTwiist

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/14/13 02:30 AM

The closest thing I have come up with that does look like galvanized metal is a technique called paint marbleing. I use silver paint (preferably Chrome type paint that you would use to paint the inside of light housingings for the reflective backbround. What you do is clean the metal really well then spray the chrome paint (heavy coat to the point of running off the part) Then with a piece of newspaper that you have crumpled up you daub the paint all over the part. Don't over do it Practice makes perfect. When you are done what you end up with is a shading of the chrome paint that resembles galvanize. You get hi and low sheen with this method. If you want to dull the finish a little more you then hit it with a semi clear coat to seal it. I've used this to the point of having the EXPERTS ask where I had my galvanizing done. This works really well on the inside covers to the side marker retainers as well

Attached picture 7587415-100_2545.jpg
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/14/13 06:09 AM

Both the above techniques look great.
Here's how they appeared NOS, this one being a B-body

Attached picture 7587664-blicence3.jpg
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/14/13 06:18 AM

back side..

Attached picture 7587666-blicence2.jpg
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/14/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

The closest thing I have come up with that does look like galvanized metal is a technique called paint marbleing. I use silver paint (preferably Chrome type paint that you would use to paint the inside of light housingings for the reflective backbround. What you do is clean the metal really well then spray the chrome paint (heavy coat to the point of running off the part) Then with a piece of newspaper that you have crumpled up you daub the paint all over the part. Don't over do it Practice makes perfect. When you are done what you end up with is a shading of the chrome paint that resembles galvanize. You get hi and low sheen with this method. If you want to dull the finish a little more you then hit it with a semi clear coat to seal it. I've used this to the point of having the EXPERTS ask where I had my galvanizing done. This works really well on the inside covers to the side marker retainers as well

wow LemonTwist - that looks real good for a home done job!
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/14/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

....though I just bought a good original galvanized pce and cleaned it up.

Dave

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/16/13 10:59 PM

Thanks, will practice before I try. It does look good, nice job.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/16/13 11:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That look much better than good....that looks AMAZING !!!!!!
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: 70 cuda rear license plate frame color - 02/16/13 11:41 PM

Here is a one with original stamps on the backside i found a while ago.. Bracket was also galvanized.

Attached picture 7590893-523126_4721876563852_552643222_n.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums