Moparts

new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws??

Posted By: RPM Motorsports

new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 03:52 PM

I bought some of the newer Holley "OEM restoration 6 pack carbs", but they have hex head float bowl screws...where can I get the correct screws? I am far from an expert on super 100% correct concourse stuff, but now I'm wondering what else is not so "OEM original" about these. Any tips or info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 04:02 PM

any old holley would work for the bowl screws...theyre correct in fit and function, prob not to concerned with hardware, you cant see the bowl screws with the air cleaner on anyways
Posted By: floyd

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 04:25 PM

They're available from Mopar vendors. Did a quick google:

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_...cts_id/7297?SID

Not sure what else is different about the new carbs but it probably minimal unless you're doing a concours-type resto

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 04:36 PM

Nope...no concourse level resto going on here. But it is odd that Holley hypes them up to be so accurate. They even stamped original MoPar part numbers and date codes on them. Then, they use the wrong float bowl screws?? That sticks out like a sore thumb even on a casual back yard resto like I am doing!!
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 04:47 PM

got these .

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 04:50 PM

If you want those, might as well get the correct carb to intake bolts

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 05:00 PM

There is 2 different length screws for the float bowls in those kits??

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 05:02 PM

Quote:

There is 2 different length screws for the float bowls in those kits??

correct, center carb takes a slightly longer one.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 07:16 PM

The stamped List & Chrysler part numbers on the reissues six-pack carbs represent original design specifications for their original applications only. They will contain minor Holley overall production changes that have occurred in the years since the original carbs went out of production as long as they don’t alter the design specs as they pertain to functionality. Holley went to hex head fuel bowl screws many years ago. More than likely to improve the process of setting even fuel bowl screw torque specifications on a mounted carb. It was a pain in the rear with slotted screw heads. Mine also had contained the newer gasket materials and the later blow-out resistant power valve. Date code should be reflective of the actual production date of the reissue. Carb pictured below was purchased new around ’07. Note the Torx headed screw securing the bowl vent lever rod, pretty sure that was a Phillips head screw originally.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 07:17 PM

i have always had problems torquing the screws to the correct torque. I was enthralled when Holley went to hex head capscrews.
Posted By: floyd

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 08:25 PM

Didn't the original carbs has different part numbers for the front and rear carbs? I believe the new carbs have only one part number.

I should have known you had them Bill!
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

The stamped List & Chrysler part numbers on the reissues six-pack carbs represent original design specifications for their original applications only. They will contain minor Holley overall production changes that have occurred in the years since the original carbs went out of production as long as they don’t alter the design specs as they pertain to functionality. Holley went to hex head fuel bowl screws many years ago. More than likely to improve the process of setting even fuel bowl screw torque specifications on a mounted carb. It was a pain in the rear with slotted screw heads. Mine also had contained the newer gasket materials and the later blow-out resistant power valve. Date code should be reflective of the actual production date of the reissue. Carb pictured below was purchased new around ’07. Note the Torx headed screw securing the bowl vent lever rod, pretty sure that was a Phillips head screw originally.

Correct on all accounts. These are the differences that restoration minded owners need to be aware of when deciding on which way to go, buy new carbs or restore what they have, there are a bunch of small differences between vintage Holley's vs new when it comes to details, screws, misc. hardware, the Holley script on the bowls, plating and dip color, all kinds of stuff.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/13/13 08:58 PM

"Didn't the original carbs has different part numbers for the front and rear carbs? I believe the new carbs have only one part number."

The available reissued list numbers are basically a consolidation of all the original numbers produced back then. Jetting/metering plates were staggered front to rear on most factory installs, requiring deferent list numbers front or rear, otherwise the same carbs. Wouldn’t make economic sense for Holley to reproduce every original variation/list numbered carb.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 01/15/13 04:31 AM

Quote:

As for the bowl vent screw I've seen both Phillips and slotted Fillister head on original carbs.
Posted By: Fabman

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/02/13 12:42 AM

I dont mean to steal this thread...BUT...I am looking for a replacement fuel bowl for the rear carb on my 6 pack set up...Its a 340 T/A - Carb number is a R4970A. The one thats on the car now is wrong...It has the accelerator pump holes epoxied shut....and now its starting to drip......

Thanks !

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/02/13 02:41 AM

Quote:

I dont mean to steal this thread...BUT...I am looking for a replacement fuel bowl for the rear carb on my 6 pack set up...Its a 340 T/A - Carb number is a R4970A. The one thats on the car now is wrong...It has the accelerator pump holes epoxied shut....and now its starting to drip......

Thanks !

Carb number makes no difference,front and rear big block and small block are all the same.
Posted By: Fabman

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/02/13 12:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks !

Carb number makes no difference,front and rear big block and small block are all the same.

Great ! Good info....now...anyone know where I can get one???
Posted By: twodoorpost

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/02/13 03:48 PM

For comparison, here's the ID from an original carb. Notice that there is no 7 digit Chrysler part number.

Attached picture 7651587-3512835carburetor03a.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/02/13 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks !

Did you try Holley ? last time I checked they sell parts also.

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/02/13 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks !

Did you try Holley ? last time I checked they sell parts also.

John,only thing wrong with Holley is the price !! Out of these three sets,there were five bad bowl's,three had stripped needle /seat threads which I fixed,the other were Chevy bowls which I replaced,the two I bought from Chicago Corvette cost me less than $60. for both .

Attached picture 7651644-Picture507.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/02/13 06:02 PM

I saw the chicago corvette reference in the other thread . Good to know in case I get the itch to get another 6pk ...
Posted By: booger

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/02/13 11:17 PM

Chicago Corvette doesn't have them unless you want the fuel inlet on the driver's side.

Holley doesn't sell the bowls, at least they didn't the last time I checked. Tech support told me to call and beg but I never did.

I've got the same deal with the epoxy in the bowl.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: new Holley 6 bbl carbs...wrong float bowl screws?? - 04/03/13 08:11 AM

For new float bowls I went through this about 18 months ago, you can read the thread here, relevant post is second to last.

http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1311667736/8#8

My guess is they are gone by now, but maybe with a good connection there might be a few still in the pipe.
I know a few of the guys used my source to order some.
© 2024 Moparts Forums