Moparts

evaporust

Posted By: 420duster

evaporust - 12/29/12 08:52 PM

Anyone use evaporust on large items that couldn't be fully dipped ? Like trunk lids,fenders,hood or even inside framerails ect,where rust isnt bad just still want to get as much as possible.I'm redoing a cuda on a rotisserie. I know you'll need to get a pump and tarp and pour it over the area,but does it work ? I also understand its best to power wash/ knock off any light lose rust,oil and dirt to prolong it life.Before I buy a bunch I just want to make sure its works.And anyone have any ideas on were to get the best price on it ? Thanks for the replies,Walt
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: evaporust - 12/29/12 09:02 PM

Yes it works great.

Key things to remember:

Clean all the grease and grime off you can, it will not penatrate it.

Remove as much rust as you can before treating, a wire brush, whire wheel, scotch abbrasive pads, etc.

Keep the car/parts out of direct sun when treating.

It takes time to work (24-48 hours for really crusty stuff) so a constant soak or stream of liquid has to be on the part being derusted, simply wetting it down will not work. I use buckets of Evaporust with submersible aquarium pumps (some pretty cheap ones out there) and clear plastic hose to route it over parts. If you get creative you can use a couple pumps and do multiple parts recirculating the fluid all around.

It doesn't last forever, it will remove a certain amount of rust then it becomes neutral, starting out as a clearish green/blue (like antifreeze) and turning almost black when it's used up.

When you are done derusting wash the parts off with solvent or thinner as opposed to water to prevent flash rust before primer/sealer is added.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: evaporust - 12/29/12 09:04 PM

http://www.rustremover.net/

Re: evaporust - 12/29/12 09:07 PM

Thanks Scott,hoped you'd chime in.Where'd you find best pricing ?

Re: evaporust - 12/29/12 09:08 PM

The site Jim posted above is hard to beat. The concentrate that makes 30 gallons would be my choice for your size project.

Re: evaporust - 12/29/12 09:14 PM

Thanks guys,Walt
Posted By: Stanton

Re: evaporust - 12/30/12 05:56 AM

It will work fine but you have to keep the surface wet for the acid to do its job. Use a garden sprayer, spray bottle, brush or whatever. The lighter the rust the faster it works. Also keep in mind the stuff is a "converter" not a "remover" so don't expect the end result to be shiny bare metal, the converted rust will likely be black.

Re: evaporust - 12/30/12 06:23 AM

Stanton, are you sure you are thinking of Evaporust? Sure doesn't sound like it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums