Moparts

Brake Nuts, Red Color

Posted By: AAR#2

Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/18/12 02:49 PM

Any recommendation for correct looking paint, varnish, dye, or other for the red nuts used on MOPAR brake components?

Thanks for the input
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/18/12 07:34 PM

They are not painted ...

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/18/12 08:42 PM

Nope, not anodize, as anodize is a process primarily for aluminum. While there are several materials other than aluminum, steel is not one of them.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/18/12 08:48 PM

Quote:

They are anodized ...

I respectively dis-agree.
The red coloring is red di-chrommate dip process - It's a secondary step done after the initial zinc plating process.

The red prop valve mounting nut / park brake adjuster flange nut is avail.
The power booster +/or master cylinder mounting kepps lock nuts in red are not.

Ok, back to work.

ps, I don't know of anyone who is capable of the red di-chromate process.
Maybe pm Jules,, he might.
The last wiper motor I got from him had a red nut for the crank arm included( sorry, didn't pay enough attention to see if it was plated or painted. And it didn't really matter to me as it can't be seen once installed)

pss, Duplicolor has a clear red that might work in a pinch.

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/18/12 09:34 PM

OK, Red Chromate is totally plausible. Only issue being I have never seen or run across anyone who sells it or offers the service. I'll check a few of the plating threads to see if its out there

I toyed with using Dykem Red but would prefer to do what's right if I can find the material

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/18/12 10:02 PM

So that I got the process incorrect, I knew that they were not painted.
Posted By: cbusters

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/19/12 02:32 AM

Try some of the Candy Red colored paint. It are more transparent than regular red paint.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/19/12 03:30 PM

And don't worry about consistency either as the degree of color changed from batch to batch.
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/19/12 11:36 PM

"Duplicolor has a clear red that might work in a pinch. "

That is what I use.
I do have the nuts plated first in clear zinc. Then use the clear red.
The plating shop I use does not do red zinc. Wish they did though.
Jules

Attached picture 7510519-bbodycamarmkit.jpg

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/19/12 11:59 PM

Thanks Jules, I remember you saying that in the past but have not been so lucky to find, maybe a bit more searching.

As for red dichromate or chromate, I've had some in my industry searching with no success. Beginning to wonder if its not a snipe hunt.

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 12:01 AM

Quote:

That is what I use.
Jules

its good i guess that it's an available color if it chips on install ?
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 01:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is what I use.
Jules

its good i guess that it's an available color if it chips on install ?

The thinner the coat the better and then you still need to use some thin plastic{as in baggie} between the nut and socket...Krylon also has a line of the colored tints designed to be used over a silver base...It's their "X metals" line... link ...For some reason the link is'nt showing yellor or orange but I have those colors also...

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 01:37 AM

Thanks Guys, all good ideas and certainly I should be able to find one of them, after all were talking about nuts that are difficult at best to see, maybe more for me than anyone.

I've toyed with leaving them as is but they seem a bit weak . . . .

Attached picture 7510687-photo.JPG

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 01:37 PM

Quote:

... after all were talking about nuts that are difficult at best to see ...

all the more reason to go the extra mile making them correct
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I spent more time and money on parts that will never bee seen unless the car is taken apart. Some people said I was crazy and who would know? ....I said, *I* would know.

Dave
Posted By: Troy

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 05:30 PM

Try this...

Paint them with a off color red paint and then....while there still kinda wet, dip them in paint thinner till the paint starts to run. When there dry spray then with a flat clear paint and your done. I have done this a few times and it works very well.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 07:22 PM

Not all of them were red.

I pulled an original master cylinder out of a 1969 Roadrunner last year and the kepps nuts were yellow zinc,, No red plating of any kind

your mileage will vary

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 07:52 PM

Quote:

Some people said I was crazy and who would know? ...

Dave

Those people are spot on with their assessment ...

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 08:28 PM

I respectfully disagree JohnRR.
I look for little deatils when checking a car because
if those are done then anything else that the owner said he did is
most likely true. Guys that go around and say they did a " nut and bolt" restoration
and you see obvious signs of cutting corners are the ones I strongly question.
If I look under a dash and see loads of details, I am pretty sure the engine, tranny and diff
have been rebuilt properly and not just words to sugar up the car.
I am not implying that it is everybodies cup of tea to go that extra mile but it is nice to see.
For example why restores these. They usually never break and will never be seen.
Jules

Attached picture 7511710-DSC00013.JPG

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 08:29 PM

Notice I did the red on the spring after it was plated clear zinc.
Jules

Attached picture 7511712-DSC00012.JPG

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 09:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Some people said I was crazy and who would know? ...

Dave

Those people are spot on with their assessment ...

Yeah, I know!

Dave

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/20/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jules you must have skipped over this reply I made and have never read any of Dave's posts ...

Or forgot I had you restore a wiper motor for my car which has a 99.999999999999% chance of NEVER being seen at a car show , especially with it's hood up ...

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/21/12 12:14 AM

Quote:

and have never read any of Dave's posts ...

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark! ...I'm telling Santa!

Dave
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/21/12 02:44 AM

I liked the red Dykem idea. Easy enough to apply after assembly. Cleans off easy enough for re-application and it's cheap lol.

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/21/12 05:14 AM

OK, so in an attempt to shed some light on things I went to a finishing guru (Special thanks to Ted Mooney), mainly because I could find no proof that red dichromate exists. Usual colors are O.D., Black, Yellow, and Clear Blue (often referred to as clear)

Thanks to Ted, I'll rest easier knowing to search for dye to replicate the look of the original hardware.

Hopefully all of you who have been unable to find Red Dichromate and have felt a bit sub standard for using another product to replicate the finish will find peace in the process you chose.

If I turn up with something outstanding I'll be sure to post up what I used and pictures.

In the mean time if your interested, here is a thread addressing the issue, near the bottom (don't get confused with the chromate for aluminum question at the top of the thread.

http://www.finishing.com/95/98.shtml

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/21/12 05:20 AM

Quote:

I liked the red Dykem idea. Easy enough to apply after assembly. Cleans off easy enough for re-application and it's cheap lol.

Yes sir, red dykem will be one of the first attempts
Posted By: bremotorsports

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/28/12 12:20 PM

FYI:

Correct nuts, with the correct red dye, are just one of approximately 100 NEW ITEMS on my website!

The prototypes of these nuts turned out well, so shipments will begin in about one week. #6028751-P4R

Bill Rolik

www.billrolikenterprises.com

201-394-5533 Cellular

Attached picture 7521634-12261200001.JPG
Posted By: bmcuda

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/28/12 06:38 PM

NOW IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE ARE THESE CORRECT USA MADE CORRECT AS ORIGINALS NOT CHEAP AFTERMARKET OR IMPORTS ON MY WEBSITE AND AS WELL THE YELLOW ZINC DICHROMATE VERSIONS.
www.bmcuda.com

Attached picture 7521938-website12-23-12001.JPG
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/28/12 08:02 PM

Holy sales pitch. Anyone think BME is spam? Seems awfully odd that there could be 2 Bill ____ Enterprises from New Jersey.

I know that the real Bill Rolik has some hard to find parts and a good reputation.
Posted By: bremotorsports

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/29/12 01:28 AM

Greetings from the "REAL" Bill Rolik.

Bill Meerholz's products and refinishing services, available through his website at www.bmcuda.com, are, for the uninformed, absolutely top notch and have found usage on OEM-Gold caliber cars for many years prior to the website introduction. His personal AAR Cuda is one of the top cars that you will ever see, and I had the pleasure of continuous involvement with the project from its inception through to completion. A incredibly correct and gorgeous piece.

After all of the BME products and services are fully reviewed and understood, those that may have had questions regarding "spam" will know the real deal.

Over and out!

Bill Rolik

bremotorsports@verizon.net

www.billrolikenterprises.com

201-394-5533 Cellular
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/29/12 02:37 AM

Quote:

OK, so in an attempt to shed some light on things I went to a finishing guru (Special thanks to Ted Mooney), mainly because I could find no proof that red dichromate exists. Usual colors are O.D., Black, Yellow, and Clear Blue (often referred to as clear)

Thanks to Ted, I'll rest easier knowing to search for dye to replicate the look of the original hardware.

Hopefully all of you who have been unable to find Red Dichromate and have felt a bit sub standard for using another product to replicate the finish will find peace in the process you chose.

If I turn up with something outstanding I'll be sure to post up what I used and pictures.

In the mean time if your interested, here is a thread addressing the issue, near the bottom (don't get confused with the chromate for aluminum question at the top of the thread.

http://www.finishing.com/95/98.shtml

As stated in your link, I used red indelible marker on yellow chromated nuts with very good results. This was done for the wiper arm pivot nuts that are inside the car. For nuts on the exterior, an exposure test might be needed.

Also, a brown indelible marker on yellow chromated works well for seat belt bolts as a substitute for brown chromate. But again, these are inside the car.

I've also used the brown indelible marker on bare stainless or blue chromated (clear zinc) screws in the dash to duplicate the original brown chromate with good results. Again, these are inside the car.

Re: Brake Nuts, Red Color - 12/29/12 03:03 AM

I tried a few things on some cheap hardware, decided that the Dupli-color Metal Cast Red had the best look (applied lightly) and went with it on my original re-plated hardware.
© 2024 Moparts Forums