Moparts

1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help!

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:02 PM

I'm looking to BORROW an ultra rare pair of 1964 Tri-Y Max Wedge Exhaust manifolds. I have made this request several times in the past but to no avail, these pictures (sent to me by a fellow Moparts member) are as close as I've come.

My goal is to have them digitized and return them unscathed, I want to have them reproduced and would be willing to work out an appropriate "reward" for the help. I would be willing to transport them in any way the owner deems appropriate to ensure thier safety.

I didn't post this in the "Wanted" section because I'm not looking to buy anything, only seeking a means to an end in getting them reproduced properly. Mods, if you feel this is inappropriate please feel free to move the thread.

Thanks!
Scott

*Style shown in this factory B&W promo shot show the style I'm seeking

Attached picture 4823474-Tri-Y.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:04 PM

Most would agree that these were never installed on a production MW car sold to the public (although it's possible). Shown here are a set installed by thier currect owner, tight fit but the cool factor is off the charts!

Attached picture 4823477-1964MaxWedgeTri-YExhaustManifoldsDrivers.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:04 PM

other side

Attached picture 4823478-1964MaxWedgeTri-YPassengerSideManifold.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:05 PM

Here is the style already being reproduced that most if not all factory MW cars actually recieved.

Attached picture 4823481-64MaxWedgeStandardManifolds.jpg
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:12 PM

They would be bad as$ in sheet metal form.They look like they weigh as much as the engine block

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:16 PM

Believe it or not they aren't that heavy (as compared to the other common style). The problem is that the pattern has to be dead nuts accurate or they won't fit, I need an original set to create accurate digital files, heck I wouldn't even need the manifolds to be in my possesion, I'd only need thier owner to deliver them to the digitizing company for the work which would only take a few days. Either way, I'm willing to do whatever it takes, these things need to get made!

A cast iron replica would be made.....Along with a (much) lighter steel tube version that will look identical in shape and contour, this will allow for modifications to the shape by heating and bending to allow them to fit into other cars not originally designed to accept them.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:37 PM

Hi Scott.
Here's another photo for you.
Have 5 more shots in my photo files.
Jim V.

Attached picture 4823516-Jul23012[640x480].JPG

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:40 PM

Thanks Jim, I've seen those before, maybe here on Moparts? I think I saved them but if you have more feel free to post them. The pics I posted above are the only shots I've seen of a set actually installed in a car. I find it amazing that the factory actually cast those beasts in the first place!

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 02:42 PM

Scott.
Gotta leave for work.
I'll post the others for the world to see tonight when i get home.
Jim V.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 03:07 PM

I always thought that Chrysler faked those manifolds and they were never produced. I swear I read they were made of wood!

Guess that was wrong!

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 03:51 PM

They are a thing of beauty

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 05:30 PM

They probably did make some early mock up sets from wood, I've seen other promo pics of them on engines (B&W) that appeared that way, but they eventually cast a few sets and a couple sets and a couple singles still exist.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 05:33 PM

Quote:

Believe it or not they aren't that heavy (as compared to the other common style). The problem is that the pattern has to be dead nuts accurate or they won't fit, I need an original set to create accurate digital files, heck I wouldn't even need the manifolds to be in my possesion, I'd only need thier owner to deliver them to the digitizing company for the work which would only take a few days. Either way, I'm willing to do whatever it takes, these things need to get made!

A cast iron replica would be made.....Along with a (much) lighter steel tube version that will look identical in shape and contour, this will allow for modifications to the shape by heating and bending to allow them to fit into other cars not originally designed to accept them.

Have you actually ever had one of these manifolds in your hands? I have and its ALOT heavier then a normal MW manifold. THEY DO WEIGH A TON. i know a guy that has a whole exhaust and will see if hed be interested in helping you out. you see alot of the tri-y pipes at swap meets but they don't due any good without the manifolds

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 05:37 PM

Interestingly, the only other Chrysler exhaust manifolds even remotely similar to these did actually make it into normal production, these are the 1963 Chrysler 300J 413 Short Ram manifolds, they have the same crudely cast appearance, are HUGE, heavy, and have some similar rectangular tube shapes (like the Tri-Y's above do) as opposed to round tubes as most other big block manifolds had.

Attached picture 4823930-ShortRamExhaustB.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 06:40 PM

Quote:

Have you actually ever had one of these manifolds in your hands? I have and its ALOT heavier then a normal MW manifold. THEY DO WEIGH A TON. i know a guy that has a whole exhaust and will see if hed be interested in helping you out. you see alot of the tri-y pipes at swap meets but they don't due any good without the manifolds

I've only held one side of an original (at Carlisle in a swap spot YEARS ago), didn't seem that heavy to me, not that I care, I just want to get them made, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 07:31 PM

Wow, they look to be a really tight fit in the car.

I've always seen pics of them on an engine but never in the car.

I'd be up for a set of these if/when you get some made.

I'm really curious, though, as to the performance gains they have over the standard maxie manifolds.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 07:53 PM

Quote:

I'm really curious, though, as to the performance gains they have over the standard maxie manifolds.

Who knows? Maybe none at all, maybe even less (but I doubt that) then there's the weight factor which is probably why they didn't make it to production, that added to the almost certain installation headaches.

Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Who knows? Maybe none at all, maybe even less (but I doubt that) then there's the weight factor which is probably why they didn't make it to production, that added to the almost certain installation headaches.

Scott,
Not to be a negative nelly , But have you really thought this project thru as to it's viability?

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 08:11 PM

Yes Bill I have, (been looking into it for a couple years now). Guess what? It's almost a certain loser concerning payback, but I am determined to see it through, sounds nutty huh? Truth is that I couldn't afford it without the help of a good friend who is better off than myself, he's willing to kick in to see it through as well.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 08:42 PM

Payback ? .. it depends on where they are being produced. There is A LOT of stuff being made these days that was not possible even ten years ago.

You thinking only USA ? ... I am doing a project right now(very small potatoes compared to yours) and I could have had the job done for about HALF of what it costs here.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 08:42 PM

Jim V (hemi71x) owned one of these manifolds years ago and allowed me to handle it, probably the same one that Scott handled at Carlisle and has passed hands several times through the years.
Posted By: QuickSilver

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 09:48 PM

Performance gains? Don't kid your self folks, Ma Mopar made these things for that very reason. The tube length's are equally tuned at 21 inches. That accounts for them being oversize.The rest of the wild "H" pipe set-up that went along with the manifolds provided for a total tuned length of 42 inches. The pipes were paired together, hence the term "TRI-Y", to pair the exhaust event's of the odd and even cylinders to provide maximum cylinder scavenging of the exhaust gases. Basically a cast iron set of actual tuned headers. Yes it is more technical than I can remember off hand but cool none the less!
Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/19/08 11:32 PM

For the longest time my Dad had a set of those pipes for those manifolds.It took the longest time for him to sell them, unfortunately he is no longer here to see these be made. Go for it Scott, I think those would be a great addition to the many parts that are already being reproduced.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 12:34 AM

have you called jim kramer

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 01:04 AM

No I haven't called Jim, does he have some?
Posted By: Michael

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 01:21 AM

Quote:

Most would agree that these were never installed on a production MW car sold to the public (although it's possible). Shown here are a set installed by thier currect owner, tight fit but the cool factor is off the charts!

Hello Scott. Those pictures look like the ones on my buddys car. I sent pictures like that to a guy in MT I think .I'll try to get ahold of my friend and see what I can do about those manifolds..
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 01:21 AM

i always thought that the inner fender panels had to be reworked to use those manifolds, , maybe not. i never seen them on a car back in the day and have only seen them at swap meets years back. a tubing duplicate would really be cool.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 01:26 AM

Quote:

Interestingly, the only other Chrysler exhaust manifolds even remotely similar to these did actually make it into normal production, these are the 1963 Chrysler 300J 413 Short Ram manifolds, they have the same crudely cast appearance, are HUGE, heavy, and have some similar rectangular tube shapes (like the Tri-Y's above do) as opposed to round tubes as most other big block manifolds had.

And they won't fit a b-body unless you get rid of the torsion bars.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 01:27 AM

Just the right inner fender needs reworked. I'm pretty sure that's myfriends car and he did that clone car years ago. I was with him at the All Hemi Reunion this year but forgot to ask him about that 64 Savoy.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 01:54 AM

Quote:

Hello Scott. Those pictures look like the ones on my buddys car. I sent pictures like that to a guy in MT I think .I'll try to get ahold of my friend and see what I can do about those manifolds..

They came from you, I was leaving your name off in case you preferred it that way. I think you sent them directly to me but I don't recall for certain. Please let me know what your friend says.

Thanks!

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 01:59 AM

I'll try to get ahold of him and do lots of talking .

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 02:09 AM

Picture #1

Attached picture 4825127-Jul23011[640x480].JPG

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 02:11 AM

Picture #2

Attached picture 4825136-Jul23013[640x480].JPG

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 02:12 AM

Picture #3

Attached picture 4825142-Jul23014[640x480].JPG

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 02:13 AM

Picture #4

Attached picture 4825146-Jul23015[640x480].JPG

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 02:14 AM

Picture #5

Attached picture 4825155-Jul23016[640x480].JPG

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 02:15 AM

Picture #6

Attached picture 4825160-Jul23017[640x480].JPG

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 02:16 AM

Picture #7

Attached picture 4825163-Jul23018[640x480].JPG

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 04:06 AM

This is the left side Tri-Y manifold that i had for quite a few years.
At the time, i purchased it from the person that also owned the set that i posted pictures of.
Until Scott posted pictures of the Tri-Y's installed in a car, i too have never seen that before.
At one time i actively tried to find a right, but i never had any luck in finding just a right side manifold.
I really don't think just a right exists anywhere anymore.

Attached picture 4825541-manifold.jpg
Posted By: 440fied

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 04:10 AM

Those are awesome, I would love to pop the hood on my car and see those, the WOW factor would be off the charts.

It would be kind of like the first time I saw a hemi motor in person, I kept thinking, holy $**t, those valve covers are HUGE.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 04:16 AM

Thanks for the pics Jim, I think the one you own is in fact the one I picked up years ago, I remember it had a repair as yours seems to have? Hey, just for kicks, what does it weigh?

*(edit, I just notice you said "had").

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 04:19 AM

Yes, they are eye candy If you notice, they have a brace to help support them bolted to the intake..

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 04:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the pics Jim, I think the one you own is in fact the one I picked up years ago, I remember it had a repair as yours seems to have? Hey, just for kicks, what does it weigh?

*(edit, I just notice you said "had").

Scott:
When i sold it off, it went all the way back east, to New Jersey, or Pennsylvania, if i can remember that far back.
I'm sure that's why it probably showed up on the east coast.
It did change hands a few times back east.
P.S.
Your PM box is full, i tried to answer your message, but my reply wouldn't go through.
Jim V.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 04:58 AM

Thanks Jim, empty now
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 12:14 PM

Quote:

have you called jim kramer

Some one here said he owns this car...
I took this pic around 83/84 (I had more including under hood... but lost them to the ex )
Whether they belonged on the car or not I have no idea... but I'm pretty sure it had a set of these on it.
I remember looking under the hood and yelling Holy $!@# look at that exhaust...
I had never seen anything like it b4... or since.

Attached picture 4825923-AlteredWheelbase.JPG
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 06:35 PM

Reed Koppel sp. knows more about the Tri-Y's than anyone I've talked to, he used to have a set or more and he's owned a couple sets of the pipes. Last time we spoke he still had one set of pipes. He told me he knew of a set of Tri-Y's back east, not the set that Michael knows of.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 06:46 PM

Well, regarless of all the owner history I just wish one of the owners would step forward with some.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 10:10 PM

Quote:

Yes Bill I have, (been looking into it for a couple years now). Guess what? It's almost a certain loser concerning payback, but I am determined to see it through, sounds nutty huh?

My kinda guy.

Have you tried any of the parts hoarder/sellers, or the guys with lotsa OLD MoPar performance stuff, Dave Wren, Ben Snobar etc?
I have a possibility up here I will try, I know I've seen a couple- maybe several sets of the more common MW manifolds in his garage, and I'll see him this weekend most likely.

The factory product was pretty danged cool, tough to beat for the "wow" factor for sure.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 10:23 PM

I was lucky enough to see a 64 Plymouth with a set installed at one of the Mopar shows at Quaker City years ago.

Truly a engineering marvel when you see a set installed in person.

Sometimes I'm on the fence about reproductions because next thing you know everyone has the same thing on there cars and some of the uniqueness and mystique is gone.

Definately a cool project and good luck to you Scott.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 10:59 PM

Quote:

Sometimes I'm on the fence about reproductions because next thing you know everyone has the same thing on there cars and some of the uniqueness and mystique is gone.

In a way I agree, but these things are so rare they are almost mythical, most have never seen them, nor will they ever see any. I think they deserve to be revived. Keep in mind that to the best of my knowledge they were a part that never quite made it to production so they will remain a novelty add on to anything wearing them, there's a certain "fun" factor to that one.

Crazy.....Yes, I've tried Wren, he doesn't have any. I don't care to speak to Mr. Snobar, not even if he had the last set on the planet.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/20/08 11:08 PM

Quote:

ISometimes I'm on the fence about reproductions because next thing you know everyone has the same thing on there cars and some of the uniqueness and mystique is gone.

I totally agree

Used to be that seeing an E body with a shaker was like seeing a nice set of natural DD's. You stopped and took notice. Now, just like the repop shakers every other woman you see is sporting a big rack. They lost their WOW factor.

MB

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/21/08 01:00 AM

Quote:

I was lucky enough to see a 64 Plymouth with a set installed at one of the Mopar shows at Quaker City years ago.

Truly a engineering marvel when you see a set installed in person.

Definately a cool project and good luck to you Scott.

The ones you saw at Quaker City Raceway years ago are the sames ones in the picture above. The picture was taken at QCR.
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/21/08 07:20 AM

Quote:

...every other woman you see is sporting a big rack. They lost their WOW factor.

That's true, but you still look, and sometimes stare.

Frank
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/21/08 08:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...every other woman you see is sporting a big rack. They lost their WOW factor.

That's true, but you still look, and sometimes stare.

Frank

DD's are still going to get my attention regardless of how many I see
Shaker Hood..... not so much.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/21/08 09:10 PM

Quote:

In a way I agree, but these things are so rare they are almost mythical, most have never seen them, nor will they ever see any. I think they deserve to be revived.

If the planets align correctly somebody might contact you with a set of those manifolds bolted to a pair of the infamous "209" heads.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/25/08 02:45 AM

I tried everybody I could, I know the manifolds are rare, but I didn't know they were THAT rare.

Hope you find some .........

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/25/08 02:49 AM

Yea, same old story. So far still no volonteers....Thanks anyway Crazy.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/25/08 02:53 AM

Quote:

Yea, same old story. So far still no volonteers....Thanks anyway Crazy.

No problem. I'll keep my eyes/ears open, but most of the guys with a remote chance of having something that rare have came up dry in my searches.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 11/26/08 09:43 PM

bump...for a good cause...
Posted By: btomasko

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/15/17 05:43 PM

reguarding the tri-y exhaust manifolds, there was a set on ebay that sold for $15,000 about 2 years ago just adding my 2 cents.He was from new jersey and now is in PA
Posted By: sixpacksteve

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 02:22 AM

hey scott, there was a 64 dodge maxwedge at crysler carlisle pa. bout 2 years ago with those manifolds. it was red. i would think someone here would have a pic.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 03:41 AM

Have you tried Mosher in LA? He deals with a lot of Max Wedge stuff, he may have an old pair set back.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 04:12 AM

This is the car the 15,000.00 ebay manifolds ended up on. I contacted him with my project idea and he was not interested in assisting in any way, come to your own conclusions on why. I have not seen another set since.

Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge D.jpg
Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge B.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 04:49 AM

What I have read about them is they built some sets to go on the 64 cars to be legal for drag racing and Nascar. But before they were put on a car both racing sanctions decided to let headers be legal so they never installed the Tri-y manifolds on any production cars. But they built some sets though I dont know how many. I also heard they had to modify the pass side inner wheelwell and that a few cars had the wheelwell modified but as I have always heard none were ever put on a production car. As for me I would ask why would anyone want them ? Other then looking cool they have to be heavy and look like a bigger hassle then headers. And to me a hot rodder I would rather use headers anyday. Did I read that right that someone paid $15,000. for a set ??? Ron
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
This is the car the 15,000.00 ebay manifolds ended up on. I contacted him with my project idea and he was not interested in assisting in any way, come to your own conclusions on why. I have not seen another set since.

What a KNOTHEAD ! ( I'd like to use another word here ) mad shout

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 05:34 PM

Why does there have to be a conclusion. You asked....he declined. End of story. Maybe the idea of lett8ng a $15k manifolds out of his sight left him unconfortable.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 05:38 PM

Bill, They would not have had to leave his sight. Regardless, project is dead unless some manifolds I can have digitized turn up.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By gtx6970

Why does there have to be a conclusion. You asked....he declined. End of story. Maybe the idea of lett8ng a $15k manifolds out of his sight left him unconfortable.

He's afraid his ORIGINAL $15k manifolds might possibly ? be 'de-valued' in some

way ? shruggy down

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 09:23 PM

Bill, They would not have had to leave his sight. Regardless, project is dead unless some manifolds I can have digitized turn up.

Scott,
Is the place thats making the digital scan near him?

IMO but to make such a statement about someones reasoning to do OR not to do something is in poor taste.

Quote:
He's afraid his ORIGINAL $15k manifolds might possibly ? be 'de-valued' in some

way ? shruggy down

Kid, not trying to piss the people off. But unless you know the owner ( And NO, I dont btw ) This is only your opinion and only an assumption.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 09:46 PM

Bill this thread started 9 Years ago! Do I remember every detail? No I do not. But I do remember him telling me no, and his reason, (which had nothing to do with any loss or damage "risk" to his manifolds). If allowed I would have had a local (to him) scanning company do the work and would have given him something in return for the help (never got that far).

Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 10:11 PM

Why are all of the pictures in this thread in jpeg that I can't see?

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/16/17 10:24 PM

Because its an ancient thread and the board format change the board went through several years ago.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 12:05 AM

Who the heck brought this 9 year old thread back up from the dead anyway? shruggy

I still have all the photo's in one of my computers, picture files, that i can re-post, if Scott S. wants me to.
Jim V.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:25 AM

hey jim, i want you to post them. Don't know the guy. but as it stands he has bragging rights so far to the only set. looks like he want to keep it that way. Me personally i love repo stuff cause it gives everyone a chance. and this way if you or someone smacks up or damage your car you can fix it. and NOT pay a kings ransom.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:47 AM

Here they come

Attached picture Max Wedge Tri-Y Rear 6.jpg
Attached picture Max Wedge Tri-Y Rear 5.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:47 AM

Attached picture Max Wedge Tri-Y Rear 7.jpg
Attached picture Max Wedge Tri-Y Rear 8.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:48 AM

Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 1.jpg
Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 2.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:49 AM

Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 3.jpg
Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 4.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:49 AM

Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 5.jpg
Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 6.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:50 AM

Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 7.jpg
Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 9.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:50 AM

Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 8.jpg
Attached picture Tri Y MW Manifolds A.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:51 AM

Attached picture Tri-Y.jpg
Attached picture Tri Y Max Wedge 10.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:52 AM

There are more than one set out there but it's a short list.

Attached picture 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds Drivers.jpg
Attached picture 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Passenger Side Manifold.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:52 AM

Attached picture Max Wedge Tri -Y Exhaust 2 (2).jpg
Attached picture Max Wedge Tri -Y Exhaust 3.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 04:53 AM

Attached picture Max Wedge Tri -Y Exhaust 4.jpg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By kidmopar

He's afraid his ORIGINAL $15k manifolds might possibly be 'de-valued' in some way ?

Bingo. If somebody makes repops for a couple of grand, his investment becomes a white elephant.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 08:10 PM

How cool would that be if those manifolds could get repo'd?
would love to know the performance difference hp wise!
but still what a WOW factor!
anyone know what the weight was?

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/17/17 08:10 PM

hey Scott, thanks for pics!

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/20/17 01:41 PM

They would NEED to be made out of ALUMINUM. Otherwise it would be like bolting another cylinder block to the front of your car
Posted By: ekim

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/20/17 03:23 PM

Is that a yellow WALKER tag on that pipe? Who wants to call their local parts store and them to search for it?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/20/17 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By scatpacktom
They would NEED to be made out of ALUMINUM. Otherwise it would be like bolting another cylinder block to the front of your car

IIRC some max wedge exhaust manifolds were made out of aluminum for NASCAR use but didn't fare well if I recall

I believe Pontiac also played with Aluminum exhaust manifolds on the big oval as well?
Posted By: John Brown

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 06/20/17 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By scatpacktom

IIRC some max wedge exhaust manifolds were made out of aluminum for NASCAR use but didn't fare well if I recall

I believe Pontiac also played with Aluminum exhaust manifolds on the big oval as well?

The 421 Pontiac aluminum exhaust manifolds were recommended for drag racing only. Pontiac also had stainless steel headers and cast iron manifolds for longer duration racing.
Posted By: Al's Auto Craft

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 07/31/17 03:08 AM

There is only one way he is going to get those manifolds. Buy my car!
Thanks Al

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 07/31/17 03:13 AM

They are 40lbs ea
Thanks Al

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 07/31/17 04:27 AM

Didn't know it was for sale? What are you asking?
Posted By: ossietim

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/01/17 08:15 AM

There are enough pics and info on the net and other places to make your own.

My brother in law is a model builder, pattern maker ....he said would take some time but it can be done , no problem
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/01/17 08:26 AM

There was one side for sale at Carlisle

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/01/17 10:53 PM

how much was the one side at carisle? didn't see it!

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/02/17 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By sixpacksteve

Did not ask. It's the one pictured in #7 above. It's at the top corner by the grandstand there are some older gentleman with a concession like trailer and a lot of old school race Hemi stuff.
Posted By: chooch

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/02/17 05:40 AM

that would be the same person selling the car

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/02/17 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By chooch

I figured as much up
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/03/17 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By chooch
hahaha- yeah, he's a fixture there. And he runs the same craigslist ads all year long, many the same the last few years. Between the comment he made and a few others in this thread having to do with value of a rare part, just my opinion, but if your overall concern is only "value" in this hobby, you don't get it, you never have, and you're locking the future generations out by doing so.
Posted By: 1971d21

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/03/17 02:41 AM

I am sure there is a limited number of people that would pony up and buy a pair.
It is too bad someone won't let a piece be copied for True Enthusiasts that would like to have a set.
I don't know Scott personally, but from my opinion he has helped the Mopar Community very much with his having NS1 parts remade to just awareness of very important details many people miss.
Some people like to have the only one left on Earth.
Thank God it's not a cure for cancer or something else life threatening.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/04/17 02:51 AM

My take is this .... that car never came with these manifolds ,period , then a set was brought for a crazy price on eBay .They where put on the car too make it look original ,then the car was advertised for sale for a high price . I wish the seller well in his sale but those looking to buy such a car know this ones history.
If they are reproduced the only loser is the buyer who originally paid the high price for the manifolds. As a rare piece they have value BUT don't add to this cars value unfortunately. imo

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/04/17 03:11 AM

Quote:
My take is this .... that car never came with these manifolds ,period , then a set was brought for a crazy price on eBay .They where put on the car too make it look original ,then the car was advertised for sale for a high price . I wish the seller well in his sale but those looking to buy such a car know this ones history.
If they are reproduced the only loser is the buyer who originally paid the high price for the manifolds. As a rare piece they have value BUT don't add to this cars value unfortunately. imo

Agreed, as with any other modified car, they add no more value to the car over the price of the parts themselves (if he could find another person willing to pay what he did for the manifolds), the car isn't more "special" or valuable just because they were added.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/04/17 10:35 PM

I would be curious to find out the price in this 2017, day and age.

Decades ago, i purchased that single, left side, Max Wedge Tri-Y exhaust manifold from a collector in Michigan.
Bought it from a for sale advertisement in Hemmings Motor News, before you did anything on the internet, and before ebay ever started.
Remember the old dinosaur days?

I kept that manifold for years and years, in my collection, stash, hoard, of parts.
If i remember corretly i sold it off for $1,500.00 to somebody back east in New Jersey, or Pennslyvania.
Can't really remember that far back, though, on that particular.

It's been sold numerous times to others, throughout the years, to select buyers, for something like that.

A single right side has never surfaced for sale, to my knowledge, to mate up, with that leftie, so i never had any regrets in selling it off, when i did.

Jim V.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/08/17 04:11 AM

They do look heavy. I wonder if someone had a set would they be legal in the Pure Stock races on a real Max Wedge ? Ron

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/09/17 03:34 AM

i'm real curious what performance difference they'd make? how much they weigh, beside the shear kool factor!

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/09/17 04:41 AM

Realistically? Probably very little (if any at all) performance difference between normal MW exhaust and the Tri-Y style manifolds.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/11/17 12:53 AM

I actually have a full NOS set of these, right and left in the basement but they are from Johan in 1/25 scale. They were on the 64 Dodge Model.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/11/17 04:04 AM

i'm going to take a guess here! but chrysler designed these for a reason.
one would think there had to be an advantage.though the maxwedge manifolds performed well. anyone know why they stopped production?
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/11/17 04:08 AM

one would think there had to be an advantage.though the maxwedge manifolds performed well. anyone know why they stopped production?

H E M I

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/11/17 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt

H E M I

LOL - probably very true. They built a better mouse trap so use it

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/11/17 04:50 AM

Yep, the 426 Hemi came along.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/12/17 03:42 PM

How heavy were those manifolds?
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/13/17 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By Al's Auto Craft
They are 40lbs ea
Thanks Al

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/14/17 04:25 AM

Has anyone checked with Chrysler Engineering?
I had a couple of Buddies that used to go to Detroit to the
Engineering office and poke around in the early '80's.
They got quite a bit of info back then.
There has to be some type of archive blue print?
They used to bring back some cool parts, NOS bought cheap.
For instance, 70 B body tall pistol grip shifters brand new for $ 7.00 each.
They told me there was 55 gallon drums with 69 Road Runner dash tachs in them.
I would say anyone who has an In with the Higher ups, could still turn something.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 08/14/17 04:45 AM

That crowd is long gone. Most have died off. Back then the prints were on paper - well before Catia. We had a Transmission Suite "record cleanup day" several years ago. I tried to get all the paper prints that guys had squirrelsd away in file cabinets from when guys retired.
I was told "no way Jose". In the locked collection bins and off to the shredder.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/14/17 01:45 PM

Didn't know it was for sale? What are you asking?

2 1964 max wedge cars sold at Mecum Kissimmee in January for $145,000.
I would like to see the same for mine.
Al

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/16/17 09:14 AM

You where lucky to get the $90k offered ...prices since are dropping .I don't see you getting any more .But I could be surprised

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/16/17 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By ossietim
You where lucky to get the $90k offered ...prices since are dropping .I don't see you getting any more .But I could be surprised

Someone who can't even spell (where, were) shouldn't comment on what he doesn't understand.
Thanks Al

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/16/17 07:55 PM

I think you were smart when you bought them.
Most people don't pony up and pay the premium.
Truly a very rare exhaust system.
I IMO, I think they should be reproduced, not to makes yours worth any less, just that through time and we aren't getting any younger, the few that truly appreciate this stuff is getting less and less every year.
Time isn't always on our side.
Good luck with your Tri-Y's what ever you choose.

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/17/17 12:02 AM

Yes,that will get you over the line😂

I can spell "disappointing trend"

Attached picture image.png
Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/17/17 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By 1971d21
I think you were smart when you bought them.
Most people don't pony up and pay the premium.
Truly a very rare exhaust system.
I IMO, I think they should be reproduced, not to makes yours worth any less, just that through time and we aren't getting any younger, the few that truly appreciate this stuff is getting less and less every year.
Time isn't always on our side.
Good luck with your Tri-Y's what ever you choose.

I'm going to drive the hell out of it and take it to my grave.
Thanks Al

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/17/17 02:35 AM

For the record when it comes to auction prices "High Bid" means absolutely nothing in terms of what the car is worth. Many auction bids that come up just short of reserve are just the owners, thier friends, or the auction companies attempts to push the price closer to the reserve in hopes of getting that one last "real" bid to hit the reserve price.

Posted By: Mr D21

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/17/17 02:55 AM

For the record when it comes to auction prices "High Bid" means absolutely nothing in terms of what the car is worth. Many auction bids that come up just short of reserve are just the owners, thier friends, or the auction companies attempts to push the price closer to the reserve in hopes of getting that one last "real" bid to hit the reserve price.

So does that mean the $90K was really closer to $85K - hmmm
work
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/17/17 12:22 PM

popcorn popcorn popcorn

Since Al is being such a stand up guy I want to help him protect his cash cow.

Scott H
I pm'd you my ph # as i have a couple of people I don't think you have spoken to about locating a set of manifolds

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/17/17 11:17 PM

In other words there is a lot of monkey business that happens at auctions and their prices should be viewed with a grain of salt

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/18/17 02:00 AM

Roger that Morty!
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/23/17 05:39 AM

I guess I'm old and like an elephant remember too much over the years... You missed the beginning of the story..The car was in fact a max wedge but in poor shape with no drivetrain...So now "the sum of all parts" equals 145K ??? Yes,it's nice don't get me wrong but somehow it's now elevated to a "pristine original" price...Time for a reality check on what we're actually looking at here..

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 09/23/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By screamindriver
I guess I'm old and like an elephant remember too much over the years... You missed the beginning of the story..The car was in fact a max wedge but in poor shape with no drivetrain...So now "the sum of all parts" equals 145K ??? Yes,it's nice don't get me wrong but somehow it's now elevated to a "pristine original" price...Time for a reality check on what we're actually looking at here..

Poor shape??? This car was an original paint car with a small rust hole in the drivers floor. Yes the drivetrain was long gone except the differential, but a correct drivetrain was installed. Still has the original factory undercoating. Also the other 2 cars in the auction were both major restorations with one being back halved.
Thanks Al

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 10/05/17 07:40 AM

It looks like the plugs would be a real pain to change on the pass side. I have read that the Pontiac aluminum exh manifolds had some problems with getting to hot and actually melting some. I did not know Mopar tried any aluminum exh manifolds on any of the Mopars ? Ron

Re: 1964 Max Wedge Tri-Y Exhaust Manifolds - Need Help! - 10/05/17 11:50 PM

but i would Love to see Scott, or someone try.
© 2024 Moparts Forums